PDA

View Full Version : Honey, I Shrunk the Kids playground Refurbishment

Tbad556
02-10-2011, 03:11 PM
According to @PaulChadkin, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids playground at DHS will undergo a minor refurb next Tuesday & Wednesday

Vyrus
02-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Wow......a 2 day refurb......they should just gut it and replace it with a Pixar play area already.

TSSD
02-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Wow......a 2 day refurb......they should just gut it and replace it with a Pixar play area already.

Aww, I sort of liked it when I was a kid. It was really cool to a 5 year old, even one who had neverseen the movie. Although, I guess A Bug's Life retheme would be easy and probably more recognizable.

Sideshow Mike
02-10-2011, 04:44 PM
People still go there? Everytime I go to DHS I see the play area empty. I agree with Vyrus, just make it a Pixar play area already.

Splatter
02-10-2011, 05:42 PM
I have seen lines for the area. What would be the point of A bug's life area? It was less attended than HISTK in theaters and it would further make that park having a studio theme pointless.

JungleSkip
02-10-2011, 05:51 PM
I have seen lines for the area. What would be the point of A bug's life area? It was less attended than HISTK in theaters and it would further make that park having a studio theme pointless.

The studio theme will be gone in 10 years, IMO.

TheDecemberists
02-10-2011, 05:53 PM
What are they going to call it then? "Disney's Hollywood......"?

TSSD
02-10-2011, 05:55 PM

They'll just use a symbol. We'll just call it "The Park Formerly Known as DHS"

Splatter
02-10-2011, 06:04 PM
More of a guess than an opinion but I agree. All that is really left of that is a watered down backlot tour and the stuntshows...so its sadly a safe bet

JungleSkip
02-10-2011, 06:17 PM

That's exactly the rumor that's been floating around.

Vyrus
02-10-2011, 06:33 PM
For that might as well rename is Disney's Florida Adventure then.....

They still have costuming and different aspects of movie making still on site, if they remove everything that made this what it is today, then it would be kind of stupid.

TSSD
02-10-2011, 07:14 PM
That's exactly the rumor that's been floating around.

That's not gonna happen. That's just completely stupid.

JungleSkip
02-10-2011, 08:11 PM
That's not gonna happen. That's just completely stupid.

I don't know. I hope they drop the studio theme, and fast. The park isn't a working studio. The half-baked studio shows don't work, and it would be much better themed to a place where the movies have come alive.

Vyrus
02-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Exactly, UO is "come ride the movies" and its themed to a movie studio, so why can't DHS be the same thing? Which is basically is.

The only thing that doesn't look like a movie set would be Sunset Blvd, otherwise, the whole park LOOKS like soundstages and whatnot.

JungleSkip
02-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Exactly, UO is "come ride the movies" and its themed to a movie studio, so why can't DHS be the same thing? Which is basically is.

The only thing that doesn't look like a movie set would be Sunset Blvd, otherwise, the whole park LOOKS like soundstages and whatnot.

At least Uni doesn't pretend you're filming anywhere, save for Disaster.

DHS tries the feaux movie theater theming in the rides too much. It's freaking annoying, and destroys the escapism, IMO.

Rock'nRoller
02-11-2011, 12:09 AM
DHS tries the feaux movie theater theming in the rides too much. It's freaking annoying, and destroys the escapism, IMO.

Thats Disney for you! More theme = Less thrill *sometimes*.

TSSD
02-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Thats's Disney for you! More theme = Less thrill *sometimes*.

Are you saying they should just completely give up all themeing?

Rock'nRoller
02-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Are you saying they should just completely give up all themeing?

Heck no! I am just saying they need to put more money into thrill than their themeing ( Example: Thrill - 60% / Theme - 40%).

TSSD
02-11-2011, 01:01 AM
But why only thrill? There are a lot of good rides that aren't thrilling, I think you don't need all thrilling, you need a LOT of calmer rides and shows too.

EPCOTcenter
02-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Heck no! I am just saying they need to put more money into thrill than their themeing ( Example: Thrill - 60% / Theme - 40%).

Sorry to disagree on that, but the best rides in my opinion are 95% theming and 5% thrill. That's what make THEME parks a world apart from AMUSEMENT parks.

Vyrus
02-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Exactly, a perfect example of what Samuele means are Haunted Mansion and Pirates, both very HIGHLY themed rides, but calm on the scale of thrill factor.

JungleSkip
02-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Thats Disney for you! More theme = Less thrill *sometimes*.

I don't agree with that at all.

I love theming. The more theming the better. But the whole "you're actually on a movie set not where we spent all this money to make" theming sucks.

Splatter
02-11-2011, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=JungleSkip;164601]At least Uni doesn't pretend you're filming anywhere, save for Disaster.

QUOTE]

What the heck? Universal has had and still has a lot of that.
There is nothing wrong with pretending to film with some attractions. People want to be a part of the movies and that is part of that idealized hollywood movie business "Hey, you can be a star" deal. It has its place. Hitchcock, Murder She Wrote, Earthquake, Disaster and The Mummy all have or have had that aspect to them.

JungleSkip
02-11-2011, 01:23 PM
What the heck? Universal has had and still has a lot of that.
There is nothing wrong with pretending to film with some attractions. People want to be a part of the movies and that is part of that idealized hollywood movie business "Hey, you can be a star" deal. It has its place. Hitchcock, Murder She Wrote, Earthquake, Disaster and The Mummy all have or have had that aspect to them.

Disaster and Mummy are the only ones left with that theme, and I'm glad they are. I don't like the theme. I think it's foolish, and destroys the ambiance created through the rest of the ride. Obviously you don't have to agree with me, but that's the way I feel.

When I'm watching IJSS and LMA at DHS, I don't need to be reminded about the stupid fake movie they are "shooting". Just give me the freaking stunts.

TheDecemberists
02-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Yeah, but it works for Disaster. If you take that out, you take out the entire point of the attraction.

What was the point of this thread again? :lol:

JungleSkip
02-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Yeah, but it works for Disaster. If you take that out, you take out the entire point of the attraction.

Agreed. There are some points where it works. Disaster it works well, and that's the only attraction where I really feel it does.

What was the point of this thread again? :lol:

Something about a playground.

TSSD
02-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Something about a playground.
Yeah, yeah, and it was about some old movie no one's heard of.

TheDecemberists
02-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Yeah, yeah, and it was about some old movie no one's heard of.

ಥ_ಥ I'm not old

TSSD
02-12-2011, 12:43 AM
ಥ_ಥ I'm not old

:lol: Sorry, I was just saying how very few kids have heard of it, and even though I've heard of it, I haven't even seen it.

El Erico
02-12-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't think it's so much that the playground is themed to Honey, I Shrunk The Kids that's relevant here. It's still an awesome playground regardless of what it's 'themed' after because, let's face it, that's the kind of thing kids love. What would it be like to be shrunken down to tiny size and how would the world look? They don't care about the theme, they care about the fun and imagination. ;)

hairyleo
02-13-2011, 11:49 AM
This playground was way better before that stupid food court landed on top of it :beadyeyes:

I think the playground is still pretty cool, so I don't really know what to think of this change. I'm definitely sad to see it go, my family used to play there every year, but hopefully this new theme will be awesome :shrug:

TSSD
02-13-2011, 12:39 PM
^ Don't worry, it's just having a minor refurb. I would have a fit if it was changed at all!:lol:

damond.themeparks
02-13-2011, 08:31 PM
i never even realized it was a play area... me and my dad always would just walk by it on the way to another ride and it was empty. i mean when i was little i thought it was neat but nothing compared to the rides so i never wasted my time going in it.