PDA

View Full Version : More Night Kingdom Rumors...

peaches magee
03-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Sorry if this was already posted... just saw it on the New York Post.
The ticket prices they are quoting are insane though, wonder what it would all include if so. :shrug:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03092008/business/is_disney_cookin_up_5th_park__101121.htm

d a n n y
03-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Wait, you get the NY Post in Florida?:yikes:

allienoves
03-13-2008, 01:10 PM

How I miss the NY Post when I visit Florida...

BriMan
03-13-2008, 01:11 PM

It's on the internet guys....

:lol:

Beachgurl
03-13-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't know how I feel about that.
Spelunking and rock climbing? Not my cup of tea and I don't want to pay $300 just to do it across the street from Pleasure Island. lol

When I originally heard of this I thought there would be a lot more involved.

upov
03-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks for posting the update.

I still don't get the whole idea behind building this park. 520 million dollars pumped into the 4 parks would be so much nicer than, building a rich person's excursion park. I'm not interested in any park or expierience that is barely cheaper than an AP. LoL

If and when we go into a recession they'll be scrambling for locals, and most of us aren't gonna be willing to shelling out major $$$ for what, a 5-8 hour expierience??? I'd love to hear some official info on this rather than from Hill. Since it kind of goes against what Iger said in that they were gonna concentrate on making what they already have stronger, I can't see this making anything stronger at all.

d a n n y
03-13-2008, 01:19 PM
I don't know how I feel about that.
Spelunking and rock climbing? Not my cup of tea and I don't want to pay $300 just to do it across the street from Pleasure Island. lol

When I originally heard of this I thought there would be a lot more involved.

Yea but the night safari sounds nice

I knew it was popular. but not THAT well known.

tiredoldspook
03-13-2008, 01:33 PM
I just read in The New York Times, Walt Disney's frozen head spins out of Frozen chamber over new park.

Come on a 300 dollar upcharge is nothing if you can pay 350 to 500 for a hotel room a night.

peaches magee
03-13-2008, 02:05 PM

Exactly... what, people actually read those things that you open? Like you flips the big huge PAPER pages? Surely you jest. :lol:

And I agree. I mean a Dark Kingdom really does draw me in. Especially for night because the parks to me are so magical then and I always seem to enjoy them most then. But to up the charge like that for less hours seems ridiculous... they better work this out more or it will flop.

Sledge
03-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Come on a 300 dollar upcharge is nothing if you can pay 350 to 500 for a hotel room a night.
But that's for the whole room which gives the entire family a place to sleep. Buying individual tickets for that family of four is going to be over $1,000.

Beachgurl
03-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Well the article said it would be more adult oriented...

So a lot of people with kids probably wouldn't even consider it, regardless of the price, if its not something the entire family can enjoy.

peaches magee
03-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Well the article said it would be more adult oriented...

So a lot of people with kids probably wouldn't even consider it, regardless of the price, if its not something the entire family can enjoy.

Kinda cool to have it adult-exclusive, but I wonder what all would be there for adults, like major thrill rides, drinks? :shrug:

Still too dang expensive when you can do so many other things for the price and spread it around. Not just all for a few hours ONE night.

Sledge
03-13-2008, 04:33 PM
I hate this idea so much that I don't even read the articles. I'll see watch and see what you guys say to see if anything positive comes out of this. :lol:

Disney should have learned their lesson with Pleasure Island to not try and cater to the adults. Pleasure Island is starting the slow process of knocking out some of the clubs since more family friendly experiences would be twice as successful.

peaches magee
03-13-2008, 04:46 PM
I hate this idea so much that I don't even read the articles. I'll see watch and see what you guys say to see if anything positive comes out of this. :lol:

Disney should have learned their lesson with Pleasure Island to not try and cater to the adults. Pleasure Island is starting the slow process of knocking out some of the clubs since more family friendly experiences would be twice as successful.

True... I have only been to Pleasure Island twice and the parks like countless times over my lifetime, so yeah shows where the loyalty lies. In good old-fashioned family fun :thumbs:

tiredoldspook
03-13-2008, 08:43 PM
well I guess The thinking is people with money will be glad to spend it.
What was the institute thing they had for a while?

Sledge
03-14-2008, 01:30 AM
This quote right here summed it all up perfectly. :lol:

RocknGuitar
03-14-2008, 01:48 AM
I agree with Sledge. Bad idea. It just sounds like a clone of Animal Kingdom...without the rides. lame.

tiredoldspook
03-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Some times the people at Disney have a few misses.
I wonder how the Race Track does? I know it is high to do three laps as a ride along is 100 dollars.

FGCUSabre
03-16-2008, 01:17 PM
the article is dead :(

Yea but the night safari sounds nice[QUOTE]
why not just keep AK open later?

[QUOTE=Sledge;8714]I hate this idea so much that I don't even read the articles. I'll see watch and see what you guys say to see if anything positive comes out of this. :lol:
it still is very early...so maybe we just dont know all the details...but i am hoping something cool and unique will grow from this idea.

I kinda wish they would just upgrade the rides people want updated now...but sometimes you have to take risk and see where it goes.

Alot of us hated Toy Story Mania until more details were released. Now all of us are interested again.

kirby_is_kyaan
03-16-2008, 03:34 PM

My family actually stayed there when I was little. :lol:

This Night Kingdom thing doesn't look too great. As awesome as nighttime in a theme park seems (usually by the time the sun really sets I have to leave, or in the case of UO the parks close, so this is mostly judging from outside views of MK), there's not enough to interest me. Thrill rides (and I mean supercrazy roller coasters) at Disney have potential, though, but if what is being said is true about no traditional rides, I will skip this one.

disneybaby
03-19-2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks for posting the update.

I still don't get the whole idea behind building this park. 520 million dollars pumped into the 4 parks would be so much nicer than, building a rich person's excursion park. .

my thoughts exactly....

I mean really, wow. :doh:

I don't believe it will happen though.

dxwwf3
03-19-2008, 12:55 AM
If this gets built as the rumors state, it is not a 5th gate. It just isn't. This is certainly more Disney Institute/Water Parks than it is next theme park.

Roll N Fear
04-25-2008, 03:46 PM
From Screamscape:

2012 - Disney’s Night Kingdom - In Development - (4/25/08) Today I have to officially change my stance on the whole Disney’s Night Kingdom park concept. New information has come to my attention proving that the concept is indeed in the works for Walt Disney World and shooting to open possibly in 2012. From what I’ve been told the history of the project comes from a desire by Disney to create their own version of a high-end Discovery Cove style mini-park experience mixed with an original proposal for a major overhaul and expansion to the existing Adventure’s Club at Pleasure Island.
From the sound of things basic funding has been approved to proceed on with the design of this small but expensive project, but it’s not without some serious design challenges and still isn’t exactly the experience that Jim Hill had previously described. The big attraction and icon of the park, right now, appears to be a large central Disney-made mountain structure where guests will be forced to ‘rock climb’ to the top, take zip lines down again and explore a serious network of caves. The goal is for this to be a very interactive game based adventure experience, with both mental and physical challenges. The tricky part of the design process they’re said to be in now involves balancing it all out so that it doesn’t become so physically difficult that guests will become too pooped or intimidated to play while at the same time, they have to be sure they aren’t catering to the bottom end and make it all far too easy and boring for everyone else.
As for the game aspect, it seems that the test run of that Kim Possible Communicator game at Epcot a year or so ago was just a large scale concept test for the Night Kingdom game concept. The idea is to equip every guest with their own communicator unit that will guide them from place to place, push them in the right direction when they get stuck, and be used to help solve the various games, puzzles and adventure challenges. Your communicator will also serve as a way for the park to identify you individually as a player and customize your interactions with the various game stations and animatronics. Fuzzy robots wont be the only things you interact with however, as there seems to be a plan in place to develop a number of encounters with live animals as well.

:look: No thanks

Sledge
04-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Sounds good on paper, but not something I'd spend all that money on to do. Overall, no way. I hope it bombs. :shrug:

It seems like a traditional 5th park would make more money than this nighttime park. Sure the tickets are pricier, but more people would be going to a traditional park (and it would be open longer) so it would counter it. Most people aren't going to want to spend an extra couple hundred dollars per family member on their vacation.

DisneyFanKevin
04-25-2008, 07:50 PM
I think this is a very bad idea and hope that WDI would consider doing that villains park instead of this. We don't need another Discovery Cove.

d a n n y
04-25-2008, 09:46 PM
I'd much prefer a 5th Gate but this souns ok. If it's open awhile I now I'll try this once, pending on the age limit.

kirby_is_kyaan
04-25-2008, 10:02 PM
I think this is a very bad idea and hope that WDI would consider doing that villains park instead of this. We don't need another Discovery Cove.

While I don't think that negatively about the concept, I otherwise agree with you... Imagineers, listen to Peaches! :lol:

The park itself sounds pretty good, but I'm not sure how much I would pay to get in... if at all.

FGCUSabre
04-26-2008, 12:37 AM
good point sledge. the 5th park would make more sense if it was just another park built really good. the tickets would be the same as the others - but you would get more families extending their vacations. rather than just a few of the families that could afford it.