PDA

View Full Version : ToT Updates

Latveria
03-14-2010, 01:38 PM
I read on wdwmagic.com that ToT would be getting some updates for the summer season.

However, that thread derailed pretty fast. So I thought I would create a thread here to discuss any possible rumors concerning the update.

From what I've heard we could be seeing an updated drop profile as well as updated/new effects in the attraction. Anyway the floor is open on this one.

ChiefBrody
03-14-2010, 02:59 PM
I remember hearing this also. Can't wait to see what can be done to an already remarkable attraction :thumbs:

StarTrekGeek
03-14-2010, 05:05 PM
New drop profile?! :jaw:

This should be interesting to see.

YETI PINTRADER
03-14-2010, 05:19 PM
The update is part of the Summer Nighttastic talked about here:
http://www.orlandounited.com/forums/showthread.php?3873-What-s-New-What-s-Next

TombraiderTy
03-14-2010, 07:00 PM
...Anyway the floor is open on this one.

I know you had no intentions of doing this, but this simple sentence made me think- what if, just as you enter the drop shaft, the floor disappears from under your feet and you're left looking down a long and dark shaft? It would be an extremely tricky effect, saying that you'd have to have the floor open in both the ride vehicle and elevator vehicle, but it'd be interesting haha.

Regarding what will actually happen, I'd expect a new drop profile or two, improved audio, and some cool effects in the Twilight Zone section of the ride. Beyond that, I'm not expecting much.

StarTrekGeek
03-14-2010, 07:05 PM
I know you had no intentions of doing this, but this simple sentence made me think- what if, just as you enter the drop shaft, the floor disappears from under your feet and you're left looking down a long and dark shaft? It would be an extremely tricky effect, saying that you'd have to have the floor open in both the ride vehicle and elevator vehicle, but it'd be interesting haha.

Regarding what will actually happen, I'd expect a new drop profile or two, improved audio, and some cool effects in the Twilight Zone section of the ride. Beyond that, I'm not expecting much.

That would be a great idea!

TombraiderTy
03-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Ah great, I'm now wasting my time by putting serious thought into this idea...

The benches of seats could be modified to tilt forwards slightly, like on Six Flag Over Georgia's "Acrophobia", so that riders know the floor is gone. To see how far down the drop is, they could place something illuminated at the very bottom of the shaft (patch of lava, perhaps?). However, in order to tilt the seats forward, you'd probably have to reduce the capacity per an elevator. The seats could also tilt back upwards, so that guests can clearly see out the open elevator door towards the studios.
---
I do hope that they add some cool "How did they do that?" effects into the ride. I mean, if the Forbidden Journey will have a fog screen with your face being sucked-out on it, then Disney's not gonna have anything as creepy or cool to compete with.
---
One more thing to add... according to TowerofTerror.org, the ride once had sparks occasionally fly from the Hollywood Tower hotel sign outside the building. This proved a fire hazard, but it'd be a cool effect to see (safely) returned.

Mr. X
03-18-2010, 02:02 PM
This is just me talking, but I'm thinking ToT is going to get some of the exterior lighting effects Space Mountain in DL got for Ghost Galaxy. It would fit with the theme and add to the atmosphere of Sunset.

Miki1010
04-05-2010, 03:00 AM
I would really like to see them do some drop profiles where its something that u really aren't expecting like the false ending ,which i have had the privilege to go on, happen. Everyone was all happy that it was over then all of a sudden we shot up and everyone flipped and started screaming. That was definitely the best experience i had on that attraction. They could have it where in the first shaft u drop after the first scene. I know that that would be hard because another elevator might be boarding below but i think that would be really cool because everyone would flip but it most likely wouldn't happen. They also could add a scene in the second shaft where the doors open but instead of seeing the park there would be a video screen that would give the illusion that u are looking outside at the park but during an intense lightning and thunder storm (and there would be a lot of wind) then lighting would hit the building and u hear a loud boom, would see sparks , then drop all the way to the bottom.

I know this has nothing to do with the ride but i think it would be amazing if they added a tower of terror restaurant. When u look at the building at the base in the front there is a large section the i don't believe is used. They could put it in there. It would really immerse u into the experience. And who wouldn't want to hear the screams of park gusts on tower of terror while eating a nice lunch. It could be designed to look old and creepy. They even could make it look like the lounge on the top floor in the movie. I think it was called the tip top lounge or something like that but it most likely would happen also.

And i defently agree on that floorless idea. That would be insane! :yikes:

Latveria
04-05-2010, 11:02 AM
I wonder how soon we will see them testing the new drop profiles, I know they are shooting for the new profiles to be in place for the start of the Summer nighttastic june 6th, but i would imagine they either are testing extensively at night, or roll out a bit of a softs for these a week or two before to gauge guest reaction.

DisneyFanKevin
04-05-2010, 12:51 PM
I wonder how soon we will see them testing the new drop profiles, I know they are shooting for the new profiles to be in place for the start of the Summer nighttastic june 6th, but i would imagine they either are testing extensively at night, or roll out a bit of a softs for these a week or two before to gauge guest reaction.

Most likely they will test it at night with Cast Members. They will debut it for guests when Nightastic begins is my guess. :)

Latveria
04-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Sounds about right to me Kevin, thanks.

surfer941
04-06-2010, 05:55 PM
I know this won't happen, but I wish they would move the Hollywood Tower Hotel sign to where it is in the preshow video. At it's current location it makes no sense.

violarum
05-12-2010, 04:45 PM
I would really like to see them do some drop profiles where its something that u really aren't expecting like the false ending ,which i have had the privilege to go on, happen. Everyone was all happy that it was over then all of a sudden we shot up and everyone flipped and started screaming. That was definitely the best experience i had on that attraction. They could have it where in the first shaft u drop after the first scene. I know that that would be hard because another elevator might be boarding below but i think that would be really cool because everyone would flip but it most likely wouldn't happen. They also could add a scene in the second shaft where the doors open but instead of seeing the park there would be a video screen that would give the illusion that u are looking outside at the park but during an intense lightning and thunder storm (and there would be a lot of wind) then lighting would hit the building and u hear a loud boom, would see sparks , then drop all the way to the bottom.

I know this has nothing to do with the ride but i think it would be amazing if they added a tower of terror restaurant. When u look at the building at the base in the front there is a large section the i don't believe is used. They could put it in there. It would really immerse u into the experience. And who wouldn't want to hear the screams of park gusts on tower of terror while eating a nice lunch. It could be designed to look old and creepy. They even could make it look like the lounge on the top floor in the movie. I think it was called the tip top lounge or something like that but it most likely would happen also.

Yes.
YES. ♥

TSSD
05-15-2010, 05:08 PM
I second that Yes YES.

Latveria
05-15-2010, 05:37 PM
So do we think it will be another drop profile added to the existing 4 profiles, or a profile that will take over for the sumer months....hrmmm