PDA

View Full Version : Backlot Refurbishment!

DisneyFanKevin
12-29-2009, 11:46 AM
According to WDWMagic and WDWNewsToday, Backlot Tour, Studio Catering Company and Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Playset Adventure will all be closing for refurbishment on February 15 - March 28. While no one knows the details of the refurbishment for all 3 items in the Backlot area, rumors are spreading around that February 15 might see all 3 go down for an indefinite period in order to prepare for more additions to the Pixar Place Area. More details when they become available.

Disneyhead
12-29-2009, 12:51 PM
I have heard a rumor that the HISTK play area will be rethemed to A Bug's Life theme. And include a Flik meet n greet.

DisneyFanKevin
12-29-2009, 01:02 PM
I have heard a rumor that the HISTK play area will be rethemed to A Bug's Life theme. And include a Flik meet n greet.

I've heard the same as well. I wonder what will become of Backlot Tour and Studio Catering Company. I would love to see a Ratatouille-themed eatery.

Eckert
12-29-2009, 01:29 PM
I've heard the same as well. I wonder what will become of Backlot Tour and Studio Catering Company. I would love to see a Ratatouille-themed eatery.

Don't they have Ratatouille at Epcot?

rewster
12-29-2009, 02:01 PM

Only as an Easter Egg really, not really officially....

EPCOTcenter
12-29-2009, 04:47 PM
I heard those rumors too (by the way, I mentioned them also in my blog), and i have to say that I like the idea of seeing the Backlot tour going away, because before was amazing (when it opened), but now it is a little bit boring IMO...

DisneyFanKevin
12-29-2009, 05:22 PM

Remy was only at Les Chefs de France for a short while. As of October, he is now traveling around the world. I believe he is in either Paris or Anaheim at the moment.

EPCOTcenter
12-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Remy was only at Les Chefs de France for a short while. As of October, he is now traveling around the world. I believe he is in either Paris or Anaheim at the moment.

For real?? I knew that it was only temporary, but I thought they would leave him at "Les chefs de France" also for the whole 2010 season...
I will never see him! :(

Roll N Fear
12-29-2009, 05:56 PM

He's still at Les Chefs. He does not appear on Sundays, or after 6 PM.

Jmaff
12-29-2009, 07:29 PM
I really loved the HISTK place when I was a kid. The theming in there was amazing from what I could remember.

A Bugs Life would be cool. How much would they change though besides the characters?

DisneyFanKevin
12-29-2009, 07:44 PM
He's still at Les Chefs. He does not appear on Sundays, or after 6 PM.

Odd. I read they were relocating him after September.

Splatter
12-29-2009, 08:35 PM
I personally think it is disgusting but alas, that is what hollywood studios has been basterdized as in the last few years. It is becoming Magic Kingdom 2. If it is a movie, just throw it in there. Further Pixarization. It is not that I am against a fitting pixar attraction and yes I see the easy grass transformation but Honey I shrunk the Kids movie set adventure was not just themed to the box office hit Honey I shrunk the Kids but also the purpose is right in the title. It is a movie set adventure and it shows you how building sets large can make you feel very small and how on film with a background it can make everything grand.

A bug's life is clearly just a cheap throw in playground. You don't build movie sets with CGI movies. It is all inside a hard drive.

EPCOTcenter
12-29-2009, 08:58 PM
I have to say that I wouldn't like really if they re-theme the HISTK movie set adventure with a Bug's Life, because it may end resembling the A Bug's Life area in DCA (which is a cheap area IMO).
At the same time I'd love to see a MONSTER INC. roller coaster!!
That sounds cool...

TheDecemberists
12-29-2009, 10:27 PM
I personally think it is disgusting but alas, that is what hollywood studios has been basterdized as in the last few years. It is becoming Magic Kingdom 2. If it is a movie, just throw it in there. Further Pixarization. It is not that I am against a fitting pixar attraction and yes I see the easy grass transformation but Honey I shrunk the Kids movie set adventure was not just themed to the box office hit Honey I shrunk the Kids but also the purpose is right in the title. It is a movie set adventure and it shows you how building sets large can make you feel very small and how on film with a background it can make everything grand.

A bug's life is clearly just a cheap throw in playground. You don't build movie sets with CGI movies. It is all inside a hard drive.

SOMEONE'S bitter lol

So... if they trashed the entire back lot tour, would there be room for the Cars attraction?

Jmaff
12-29-2009, 11:11 PM
^You would be interested in a Cars attraction? I know I certainly would not want one being there lol.

They should do something with the Incredibles!

BriMan
12-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Cars should stick over at Cali. Bring something that's different our way. Ratatouille won't be coming to Pixar Place either. This is what I see.

*Monsters, Inc Ride
*Quick Service Restaurant themed to a Monsters, Inc Cafeteria
*Bugs Life Play Area

Later on, I can see the addition of an Incredibles ride.

I did hear one rumor way back when, that Cars would take over LMA.

Splatter
12-29-2009, 11:30 PM
SOMEONE'S bitter lol

So... if they trashed the entire back lot tour, would there be room for the Cars attraction?

Not bitter, just passionate.

As far as an attraction fitting into an area like that it depends on how much is actually removed and what size attraction. The Backlot Tour ride area itself is only Catastrophe Canyon and the boneyard/plane areas. The other buildings are often used for offices and storage facilities.

I would much rather the backlot work being done to include the muppet whatnot labs and such returning like the one rumor was mentioning. A new form of the tour with updated concepts. It is not exactly like Disney to say they are closing and reopening something only to replace it with a big property based attraction. They would be hyping the heck out of it already.

With Star Tours being upgraded and all the attention over at Fantasyland expanding I don't think with their reputation that Disney is likely to pump money.

wdwbiged
12-30-2009, 03:02 AM

I've heard the same as well ... i can't remeber the details on what i heard about Backlot tour

as for the catering company my dream would be move the toy store themed pizza place by Muppets over there and get us a Muppets themed spot to eat

Drew
12-30-2009, 11:50 AM
If there's one attraction I can think of quick off the top of my head that needs a refurb/retheme it's this. Good lord.

I couldn't believe how bad it was when I saw it over the Summer. The props are pretty bad. Catastrophe Canyon is good but nothing to write home about. My favorite part were the props from Pirates of the Caribbean and Star Wars after. That was awesome.

The whole thing should just be ripped out and put in a new attraction that fits the Pixar theme as others have mentioned. I'd love to see a Monsters Inc dark ride. I would just be worried about capacity issues in that section. It's a pretty small walkway to house 2 major attractions. Could be a nightmare.

TombraiderTy
12-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Especially after riding Universal Studios Hollywood's exciting backlot tram tour, I've never really cared for Disney's version- beyond Catastrophe Canyon, it fails at being entertaining. I'd like to see more movie "experiences" blended in, although that's sorta the point of a different attraction at the park- The Great Movie Ride. However, both are in need of an update :rolleyes:

Cusi
12-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Don't hate me for this, but I'm not sure on how I would feel if Disney DID expand Pixar's Place into the Backlot. As much as I would LOVE to see Backlot tour get a refurb, I'm not sold on having a ride such as the rumored Monsters Inc. Coaster come in and replace The Backlot Tour.

HISTK Movie Set Adventure should stay. Retheming it to It's a Bug's Life would be pointless IMO.

Here's my final burn: Why don't we add something in Epcot or AK instead of stuffing more attractions in Hollywood Studios?

TombraiderTy
12-30-2009, 07:51 PM
^Regarding the retheme of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure, I doubt most children below the age of ten have ever heard/watched the movie. Both the playground and the 3D movie over at Epcot are now outdated, and I'd welcome practically any new attractions in their places. Bug's Life, although it premiered about the same time as Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, is more remembered and more-likely to become a "classic", thanks to the simple fact it's an animated movie.

wdwbiged
12-30-2009, 10:31 PM
^Regarding the retheme of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure, I doubt most children below the age of ten have ever heard/watched the movie. Both the playground and the 3D movie over at Epcot are now outdated, and I'd welcome practically any new attractions in their places. Bug's Life, although it premiered about the same time as Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, is more remembered and more-likely to become a "classic", thanks to the simple fact it's an animated movie.

I agree

shiekra38
12-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Wall-E please

YETI PINTRADER
12-30-2009, 11:23 PM
I saw this in thoes giant Disney maps that they have at rest stops and things like that and saw this.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/dedication58/MonstersIncHint2.jpg
Sulley was the only character in the entire map that did not have an attraction (yet). I think Disney is hinting at one in the near future.

Rock'nRoller
12-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Well I'm glad it getting refurb, IT IS WAY TO SHORT!!!

EPCOTcenter
01-02-2010, 04:30 PM
I saw this in those giant Disney maps that they have at rest stops and things like that and saw this.

(IMAGE)

Sulley was the only character in the entire map that did not have an attraction (yet). I think Disney is hinting at one in the near future.

Yeah, you're right. I've seen Sulley on the park map since 2009 (in the new brochure). This may be a sign of something, because there are NO RIDES AT ALL at Hollywood Studios with a Monster Inc. theme as of today...

Mark_Gers10
01-12-2010, 02:26 PM
imo the hole parks a miss match of rides and could do with more than a make over for the back lot tour !!!

TheDecemberists
01-12-2010, 05:11 PM
For those of you mentioning a Monsters Inc. roller coaster...

How exactly would you ride a door?

I'd definitely prefer The Incredibles dark ride... something that would rival Spider-Man as far action goes...

theman5450
01-13-2010, 04:13 PM
i can imagine the story being that the door transport system has been renovated to be horizontal and you sit on a door with restraints{sort of like a transport system}understand what i mean?

rewster
01-13-2010, 08:07 PM
i can imagine the story being that the door transport system has been renovated to be horizontal and you sit on a door with restraints{sort of like a transport system}understand what i mean?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking --- the door transport scene. And if it was a hanging coaster, it would make all the more sense.

Disneyhead
01-14-2010, 12:31 AM
Rumor has it that Disney is looking at a custom version of this ride system:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/HPCrazy/RugratsRunawayReptar13.jpg

ChiefBrody
01-14-2010, 02:12 PM
About time it got some love, it's deteoriated to a point where it's kind of embarassing for Disney, so it's only right they put some investment into a once enjoyable attraction. Here's to hoping it will do some good.

DisneyFanKevin
01-14-2010, 06:06 PM

Now that is something more along my speed of coasters!! :D

Rock'nRoller
01-17-2010, 11:24 AM
^ I would love if they put that in!

Captainwalker42
01-17-2010, 03:31 PM
I remembered hearing on screamscape a while back that there was talk of bringing an UP attraction to Pixar Place. This rumor was before the movie came out, but now that I've seen it, I would be REALLY pumped to ride in Carl's balloon house or on "The Spirit of Adventure".

Tbad556
03-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Update on the Refurbishment from WDWMagic:

The Studio Backlot Tour has been closed for refurbishment since 15th February 2010 and we now have some information on some of the work that is being done. Catastrophe Canyon is the center of the refurbishment, with a lot of work being done here. The tanker truck has been completely removed from the site, and is being restored in Central Shops. Some of the rock work has also been stripped down, and is being completely rebuilt from the steel up. Also, some infrastructure equipment replacement is being done. All of this should add up to a great looking show when it reopens on 28 March 2010.

Sounds like they're putting a lot of good work into fixing the Backlot Tour up!

BBPH
03-15-2010, 11:50 AM

can someone post what this picture is i cant see it it says bandwidth exceeded :/

Tbad556
03-15-2010, 11:59 AM
can someone post what this picture is i cant see it it says bandwidth exceeded :/

It was a picture of the Runaway Reptar roller coaster at Kings Island. Here's a picture:

http://www.coastergallery.com/2000/Reptar6.jpg

BBPH
03-15-2010, 12:04 PM
It was a picture of the Runaway Reptar roller coaster at Kings Island. Here's a picture:

http://www.coastergallery.com/2000/Reptar6.jpg

Oh thanks i really like that :o and normally i hate coasters with lots of supports and this cramped up :p

jme
03-16-2010, 08:24 AM
That's a pretty "kiddy" roller coaster though - it looks like it lasts about 30 seconds too. I always invisioned the Monsters Inc hanging door ride to look more like Six Flag's Mind Eraser:

http://www.cphelps.id.au/images/MindEraserNE.jpg
http://www.joyrides.com/sfa/photos/mind_eraser1.jpg

BBPH
03-16-2010, 09:13 AM
That's a pretty "kiddy" roller coaster though - it looks like it lasts about 30 seconds too. I always invisioned the Monsters Inc hanging door ride to look more like Six Flag's Mind Eraser:

Way too extreme, Monsters Inc appeals to children and most of them would not want to go any where near that. :/

Drew
03-16-2010, 12:52 PM

I have been on that before. It is NOT a kiddie coaster. It's one of the roughest rides you'll ever experience.

BBPH
03-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Far from a kiddie coaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r1q9_9FY6c

TheDecemberists
03-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Monsters Inc. already invaded Tomorrow land; I don't want it to come to Hollywood Studios, too.

I really hope the next attraction at Hollywood Studios (assuming they're going to expand Pixar) is either The Incredibles or UP. Both movies could be imagineered into wonderful dark rides. The Incredibles just screams for a dark ride that would rival Spider-Man, while UP would be more of a cinematic experience (but of course, some "dog-fight" action).

Personally, I wish they'd add more original attractions. But considering what's happened to Tomorrow land recently, I doubt it...

jme
03-16-2010, 09:13 PM
To clear up any confusion, I didn't think The Mind Eraser looked kiddy - I meant the Reptaur ride looked too kiddy and I hoped it would be more like Mind Eraser. Or maybe something in between.

tideblue
03-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Point One: I can't imagine Disney World adding a new attraction without a huge press conference and publicity tour. Look at the lengths they went to for this silly Nightastic promo. So I expect everything at DHS will open back up the same, or with minimal changes.

Point Two: I really feel like sometimes, the Disney hardcore fanbase comes up with ideas that everyone gets behind, but if they announced it themselves, would be criticized over. Take this supposed Monsters Inc coaster. Sounds like a great idea, but when they put up the Crush Coaster in Walt Disney Studios Paris, with a custom take on a Maurer-Sohne spinning coaster, people complained a lot (and once it was built, people complained further because of it's low capacity, but that's not the issue here).

Same thing's happening with the new Intamin Half-Pipe ride they're building in that park... it's a really fun ride, but the hardcore fanbase can't get over it. In a sense, I don't want to see an off-the-shelf coaster, or even a modified one (after all, the park already has an off-the-shelf Vekoma). No, instead I'd rather see them add something non-Pixar. Maybe the next move for this park should be to demolish the Little Mermaid theater, and move the Magic Carpets of Aladin to that spot instead! (at least that'd make sense.. with two Dumbo's and a Mermaid ride on the way, it'd make way more sense this way... plus, Aladin.. Disney Animation... it fits, at least more than Playhouse Disney can say...)

Tbad556
03-22-2010, 04:03 PM
According to WDWMagic, Studio Catering Company has reopened early with a new menu.

The Backlot Tour and Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Playset Adventure are still being refurbished.

Tbad556
03-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Just a reminder, all of the attractions are back open as of today. According to @BanksLee, everything is spruced up and the only change is a "new prop on Shuttle part of tour from Mission to Mars, which replaced the motorcycle from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade." @BanksLee posted several pictures on his Twitter here (http://twitter.com/BanksLee).