PDA

View Full Version : T-Rex Cafe

Sledge
01-31-2008, 09:41 PM
For those that haven't heard, Landry's (Rainforest Cafe) is opening up a new dinosaur themed restaurant at Downtown Disney called the T-Rex Cafe.

I saw it the other day and it is coming along nicely (and quickly!). It's going in between Pleasure Island and Marketplace and is close to the McDonalds. The menu looks to be exactly like Rainforest Cafe but with prehistoric names. I'm not a big fan of the food at Rainforest, but I love the atmosphere. Maybe now Universal will host a Jekyll and Hyde Club, which in my opinion is the best of the themed restaurants that are out there.

Here is their link for anyone interested: http://www.trexcafe.com/
And here is a video showing their Kansas City location: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kbE107jgg

Roll N Fear
02-01-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm intrested to see how this turns out. My only gripe is that it may be too similar to Rain Forest. The menu doesn't look that original but then again these type of places are all about the atmosphere.

BriMan
02-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Hopefully the food is a little better than Rainforest.

Roll N Fear
02-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Hopefully the food is a little better than Rainforest.

I've been to 4 different Rain Forest's and I've never had a bad meal there. I read all these negative reviews on the DISBoards about it all the time. :confused:

BriMan
02-01-2008, 12:08 PM
I've been to 4 different Rain Forest's and I've never had a bad meal there. I read all these negative reviews on the DISBoards about it all the time. :confused:

Well come down here and try my local Rainforest.;)

The one though by the Animal Kingdom hasnt been bad everytime Ive visited. So Ill give that one a pass.

Roll N Fear
02-01-2008, 12:40 PM
I've been to the one at Sawgrass plenty of times. I live 30 minutes away. Still never had a bad meal there. It's not the nicest one but hey, what do you except inside a mall?

Tenny317
02-01-2008, 04:55 PM
I enjoy Rainforest....It's a fun resturant so I'm excited for the T-Rex resturant, it should be great fun!!

Side note....if Universal were to do a Jekyl and Hyde resturant it better be soooo bad assss...the one in New York City which I finally went to on my last bday was really boring and really not scary...the theming was pretty cool but it was missing something...I guess it would be the darkness and scariness

Sledge
02-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Side note....if Universal were to do a Jekyl and Hyde resturant it better be soooo bad assss...the one in New York City which I finally went to on my last bday was really boring and really not scary...the theming was pretty cool but it was missing something...I guess it would be the darkness and scariness
We had one in our mall and I loved it. My favorite was before you are seated you have to enter this room and spikes shoot out of the roof and lower down towards you. Everybody has to duck down and then the Crypt Keeper tells us we passed. I thought it was so cool. Does the NY one have that?

Beachgurl
02-01-2008, 10:19 PM
I like Rainforest Cafe strictly for the atmosphere, but every single time I've eaten there I've been disappointed. Actually that's a lie...I had a pizza once which wasn't half bad, but all the other times were just blah. I mean it wasn't yucky but it definitely wasn't worth the price. I'll try out the T-Rex place though.

Sledge
02-01-2008, 10:31 PM
You're paying for the atmosphere. The quality of the food isn't even up to par with your typical Chilis/Applebees/Friday's/etc. which is, of course, cheaper.

d a n n y
02-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Does the NY one have that?

I'm almost postive, I haven't been in years though, I should get back there some time soon.

snoman
02-15-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm really excited for the T-Rex, of course for the atmosphere, not the food. If you're looking for fine dining these theme joints aren't gonna have it! I have been to rainforest cafe here many times and in Vegas several and the food has always been alright, the prices though are really steep! For the money I spent for a family of four on lunch at rainforest I at least want one of the monkeys to hit me on the head or spit on the table ya know?

FGCUSabre
02-15-2008, 01:11 PM
my rainforest cafe experiences have been good...but not great. i would still eat there...but i just thought it was always the management.

i have eaten at several joes crab shacks (owned by the same company) and love them! their lunch specials are yummy and since its right next to my work...even better!

JEANYLASER
02-15-2008, 07:19 PM
I can't wait to see it when it is finished!

The Patchman
02-16-2008, 01:29 AM
LOOKS PRETTY FREAKING AWESOME

rainforest has a good atmoshpere service is bad though.

tiredoldspook
02-19-2008, 12:01 PM
I have never ate at The Rainforest cafe in all of my trips to Orlando. I am not a fan of them restaurants. The food is over priced and it is no different then going to TGIF, Applebees and Chili's so why pay to?

If you want to eat a great meal in Orlando find Girdonnio's pizza I spelled it wrong but it is really good.

Beachgurl
02-19-2008, 12:05 PM
With restaurants like Rainforest and T-Rex I guess you're really paying for the experience and atmosphere...not so much the food. :shrug:

tiredoldspook
02-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Yes Atmosphere is the word. I guess if you want that, and don't mind paying.

The Patchman
02-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Yes atmopshere is whats being pumped in all these resturants.

The only place I have had awesome service and a great atmosphere combined is Hard Rock Cafe. I need to go back and try these again.

Rainforest does have an excellent atmosphere.

Roll N Fear
02-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Rain Forest smells good too. It's like a poorer quality of E.T.

JEANYLASER
02-19-2008, 06:40 PM
awesome!

Sledge
02-19-2008, 07:33 PM
awesome!
What is "awesome"? Please make an effort to include at least a few sentences when you post. This doesn't advance or offer anything to the conversation and just comes across as trying to raise your post count.

Thanks.

DrumMasterJoey
03-10-2008, 09:53 AM
I think that this place is going to be amazing. I havn't been around those parts recently to see any of the prgress so I have no clue what it looks like. I personally think that thr Rainforest Cafe's have great food with usualy good service to go along with it. I'm looking forward to how this whole thing turns out. Hope it's great!

chunkymonkey
03-11-2008, 01:09 AM
I despise Rainforest Café. However, I live right next to sawgrass mills mall and there is one with an indoor play ground. Since I have a 6 year old, I visit this horrible place often. It’s always crowed, the food sucks and my bill is always over $100.00….for crappy food…Oh well, Lex loves it…

peaches magee
03-11-2008, 03:00 AM
I despise Rainforest Café. However, I live right next to sawgrass mills mall and there is one with an indoor play ground. Since I have a 6 year old, I visit this horrible place often. It’s always crowed, the food sucks and my bill is always over $100.00….for crappy food…Oh well, Lex loves it…

That play area outside of it is great! But we just dont go in to eat, everytime I go, my food is so yuck. And my little one likes the fish but never wants to eat in there, thank goodness!

chunkymonkey
03-11-2008, 11:41 AM
That play area outside of it is great! But we just dont go in to eat, everytime I go, my food is so yuck. And my little one likes the fish but never wants to eat in there, thank goodness!

We only eat there if it’s a special occasion for Lex…It’s where she always wants to go…Her kids meal looks like the best thing on the menu. The playground is great. Especially on rainy days…

Roll N Fear
03-11-2008, 12:52 PM
I personally liked the boat they had in there before the playground.

peaches magee
03-11-2008, 01:58 PM

Ah the boat! With the gators in the water that we always tried to flick coins into their mouths. Oh man... I remember that. :lol:

chunkymonkey
03-12-2008, 09:32 AM

I don’t recall a boat, but then again I’ve only lived in Ft. Lauderdale for about 6 years. I never noticed the playground until my daughter wanted to play on it…I think she was around 1 ½ or 2.. There is still an alligator there for the coins. I don’t go near it because it creeps me out..:look:

kirby_is_kyaan
03-18-2008, 07:40 PM

Good times.... reminds me of an elementary school trip I once had.. when and why did they removie this?! :'(

kristilovesdw
08-14-2008, 12:40 PM
14 August 2008: T-Rex to open in October?

With the release of the Dinosaur delivery photos, Disney also mentioned an opening date of mid October 2008, which is almost a month earlier than the previous expected opening date of mid November.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/dianebug/dinosaur.jpg
(picture from laughingplace.com)

I really hope this opens earlier so I can make ressies while I'm in WDW in November! The interior 2 story tall dinosaur has arrived as well. Is anyone going to Downtown Disney anytime soon?? I'd love to see some pics! Please and thanks :D

DisneyFanKevin
08-14-2008, 01:54 PM
I will probably head out there again this weekend. I can grab some pics for you. ;)

kristilovesdw
08-14-2008, 06:10 PM
I will probably head out there again this weekend. I can grab some pics for you. ;)

That'd be awesome Kevin!! Thanks :thumbs:

Sledge
08-14-2008, 06:22 PM
:( That makes me wish dinosaurs were around today to run through parking lots and stuff. Can you imagine on the news... "Central Florida is under a T-Rex warning. It is advised you take shelter and if caught outside remain perfectly still."

peaches magee
08-14-2008, 08:33 PM
:( That makes me wish dinosaurs were around today to run through parking lots and stuff. Can you imagine on the news... "Central Florida is under a T-Rex warning. It is advised you take shelter and if caught outside remain perfectly still."

Was just talking about that with the hubs the other day "Imagine if we had to live in constant fear of dinosaurs just popping up and having to always be afraid." That would be insane!

Sledge
08-15-2008, 12:00 AM
You can check out the T-Rex update which include two pictures of the T-Rex being moved into the restaurant.

http://www.orlandounited.com/news/trexcafe1.html

peaches magee
08-15-2008, 12:14 AM
:lol: Looks so cool moving on that flatbed truck.
Looks like he HATES those workers too. hehe

DisneyFanKevin
08-15-2008, 12:22 AM
Was just talking about that with the hubs the other day "Imagine if we had to live in constant fear of dinosaurs just popping up and having to always be afraid." That would be insane!

I would not last a day. I'm too jumpy, so I'd be eaten. :lol:

peaches magee
08-15-2008, 12:29 AM
I would not last a day. I'm too jumpy, so I'd be eaten. :lol:

Haha, yeah it is usually the one in hysterics that always goes first in the Jurassic Park movies.

DisneyFanKevin
08-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Haha, yeah it is usually the one in hysterics that always goes first in the Jurassic Park movies.

Ain't that the truth! :rotfl:

tiredoldspook
08-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Yes but who would clean up all the dinosaur poo?

ROTM182
08-18-2008, 08:47 AM
^Lol....wow......
I went to one of these T-Rex cafes out in Kansas City, Missouri this summer and I'm wondering if it's the same company coming into Disney to open the restraunt. I assume it is but I'm still wondering.

BigAl_PT
08-18-2008, 01:40 PM
^Lol....wow......
I went to one of these T-Rex cafes out in Kansas City, Missouri this summer and I'm wondering if it's the same company coming into Disney to open the restraunt. I assume it is but I'm still wondering.
Yes it is. The original T-Rex Cafe is in Kansas City. The parent company is Landry's, who also owns Rainforest Cafe.

DisneyFanKevin
08-18-2008, 07:38 PM
I am still going to be afraid to go in that restaurant after this post.... :lol:

Bsquare
08-19-2008, 02:55 AM

But the Japanese have been dealing with that very same problem for YEARS. You try to have a pleasant afternoon at the beach with the family and BOOM! Godzilla. The solution? Why, giant robots of course. Lots and lots of giant robots.

On topic, this sounds like an interesting novelty, but if it's anything like the Rainforest Cafe, they'll charge exhorbitant prices for really crappy food, interspersed with animatronic dinosaurs doing their thing. Because, you know, there's nothing I enjoy more with my watered down beer and bone-dry chicken sandwich than really loud roaring noises.

peaches magee
08-19-2008, 03:02 AM
Probably right BSquare, Most super-themed restaurants like this, the food is so sub-par, just like Rainforest.
Its pretty and cool and all that, but the food is yuck. Hopefully they do something better here, but kinda doubtful. :shrug:

BigAl_PT
08-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Probably right BSquare, Most super-themed restaurants like this, the food is so sub-par, just like Rainforest.
Its pretty and cool and all that, but the food is yuck. Hopefully they do something better here, but kinda doubtful. :shrug:
I'm assuming it will be pretty similar to the Rainforest Cafe. But I'll probably check it out once just to see the theming and atmosphere of the place.

kristilovesdw
08-19-2008, 04:11 PM
http://www.trexcafe.com/Main/Eat.htm

The menu sounds promising! I agree though, I'm not a fan of Rainforest Cafe's overpriced food but I think you're paying for the atmosphere...

peaches magee
08-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Hmmm, menu is pretty interesting, we will try it out I am sure, I get tempted by atmosphere.
If the food is actually good, it will be fantastic. I want that chicken salad sandwich and the other chicken sandwich like NOW! :yum:

snoman
08-19-2008, 06:23 PM
The boys and I are geeked up for it. Anything with giant dinosaurs has got to be good. And honestly, nobody goes here for gourmet food anyways. You know it's gonna be a crappy burger but maybe the two story T-Rex will drool down into it for us!

kirby_is_kyaan
08-19-2008, 07:45 PM
I always try to eat at (as well as buy a shirt from) the Hard Rock in (insert touristy destination I am at this time here), so I like my themed restaurants, and I actually like the food at HRC too. Of course, this is a different company, and I vaguely remember the last time I went to a Rain Forest Cafe and finding the pizza I got to be meh. Not-so-great food won't stop me from checking this place out next time I'm at Downtown Disney.

Bsquare
08-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Oh, sure I love the animatronic animals...especially the monkeys in Rainforest Cafe. (Too bad they don't fling poo.) But sometimes I want to watch AA's and sometimes I just want to eat. Last time I ate there, we were seated right behind the AA elephants, which was fun for about 15 minutes. After that, the novelty of loud trumpeting and a twitching tail (all we could see from our seats) wore right off, and simply became annoying.

I DO like the periodic storm effects, though. I also admit that the menu sounds interesting, but I'll have to eat before I judge. And of COURSE I will eat there at least once, just to see the dinos. But I don't expect it to be a regular thing. Unless of course the T-Rex DOES drool on your food, which would be incredibly awesome.

Roll N Fear
08-20-2008, 11:19 AM
The worst is when you are trying to have a nice meal with a date and you get seated by the gorillas or elephants and every child in the restaurant flocks around your table to try and touch them. All while their parents eat their meals and say, "isn't that cute?"

snoman
08-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Ha Ha Ha, I don't know about taking a date there! Maybe if you sat at the bar I suppose.

DisneyFanKevin
08-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Hopefully the restaurant will have some good food, especially chicken strips. I know the menu is out there, I am just too lazy to look. :)

Sledge
08-21-2008, 12:13 AM
Lava Me Tenders - Golden-fried chicken tenders breaded with coconut, piled high and served with our coconut curry sauce.
(Kids Menu) Jurassic Chicken Tidbits - Dino-shaped breaded chicken tenders.

peaches magee
08-21-2008, 01:08 AM
Lava Me Tenders - Golden-fried chicken tenders breaded with coconut, piled high and served with our coconut curry sauce.
(Kids Menu) Jurassic Chicken Tidbits - Dino-shaped breaded chicken tenders.

Holy crap I didnt notice the Lava Me Tenders... those sound fantastic!

DisneyFanKevin
08-21-2008, 01:26 AM
Ooh they sound disgusting. :)

kirby_is_kyaan
08-23-2008, 01:27 AM
Those Lava-Me Tenders sound pretty good, and are making me hungry. :yum:

Sledge
09-01-2008, 03:37 AM
Snoman took some great pictures showing off the construction...

http://www.orlandounited.com/news/trexcafe2.html

peaches magee
09-01-2008, 03:49 AM
Great pics Sno! :thumbs: :rep: when I can.

Sal
09-01-2008, 03:51 AM
great pic's Sno!!

d a n n y
09-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks Sno

Dr. Emmett Brown
09-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Awesome pics Sno! :thumbs:

kimlovesfl
09-01-2008, 03:09 PM
I've been to Rainforest here in Orlando a couple of times, and I've been to the one at Sawgrass once. The food wasn't bad, not as bad as you people say it is, but it most certainly is overpriced. And the crowds, ugh. With so many wonderful choices of dining venues in the Orlando area, with similar food and lower prices, like TGIF, why would I want to wait an hour to pay twice as much.

I might visit T-Rex just to check it out, but I am not a fan of themed restaurants either. Typically sucky food, high prices, lots of noise, and great atmosphere. I'd rather eat at a dump with great food. Now, if I was a kid, I'd be all about these places, especially something with dinosaurs. I was a HUGE dinosaur lover when a small child.

IOAkid
09-08-2008, 11:18 PM
I've been to Rainforest here in Orlando a couple of times, and I've been to the one at Sawgrass once. The food wasn't bad, not as bad as you people say it is, but it most certainly is overpriced. And the crowds, ugh. With so many wonderful choices of dining venues in the Orlando area, with similar food and lower prices, like TGIF, why would I want to wait an hour to pay twice as much.

I might visit T-Rex just to check it out, but I am not a fan of themed restaurants either. Typically sucky food, high prices, lots of noise, and great atmosphere. I'd rather eat at a dump with great food. Now, if I was a kid, I'd be all about these places, especially something with dinosaurs. I was a HUGE dinosaur lover when a small child.

EXACTLY. I just hope that Disney dosen't screw up on this restaurant and the food is actually good. Universal is good with themed resturant on the food part, just not the prices.

Beachgurl
09-09-2008, 12:21 AM
EXACTLY. I just hope that Disney dosen't screw up on this restaurant and the food is actually good. Universal is good with themed resturant on the food part, just not the prices.

Well actually Disney doesn't have anything to do with the way the food tastes. Rainforest Cafes across the country basically suck...not just at Disney.

kristilovesdw
10-01-2008, 03:55 PM
T-Rex now has a sign up saying they open Oct. 14

There is also a great update at Mousesteps from 9/25:
http://www.mousesteps.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=222&Itemid=65

BigAl_PT
10-01-2008, 06:55 PM

http://www.mousesteps.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=222&Itemid=65
WOW...thanks for the link with the pics! That place looks great! I can't wait to explore the place in January.I was always a huge dinosaur nerd as a kid and never really lost interest.

snoman
10-02-2008, 12:01 AM
We might be going there sometime during the opening week, hopefully! If so I'll take a ton of pictures for the site.

PineappleOasis
10-02-2008, 12:13 PM

Cool! Thanks for the link!:thumbs::rep: I got the feeling that this place will be swamped everyday just like Rainforest Cafe...

kirby_is_kyaan
10-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Well, it's open now: http://www.attractionsmagazine.com/blog/?p=1040

There's a link to a photo gallery there, and the place is looking really, really great. I would so do Build-a-Dino! :lol:

BigAl_PT
10-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Looks GREAT! I can't wait to check it out.

kristilovesdw
10-15-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm excited to try the place out! I've made plans to eat there my first night in town... oh and btw they don't take ADR's :mad:

peaches magee
10-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Oh... my... lord! My son is a gonna crap happiness when he sees this place!
We definately will go in Nov. Let me know how the food is Kristi.
Sucks about the ADRs. Even though Rainforest blows in the food dept. they always have ridiculous waits on weekends and certain other times.
This place will be packed I bet.

Oooo some more great pics over at Orlando Sentinel I just saw.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_orlando/2008/10/t-rex-cafe-now.html

snoman
10-15-2008, 05:02 PM
We are going this Sunday for the wife's birthday. I just called and learned a couple things. 1. As Kristi said, they are not taking priority seating reservations, they said they will start but not until after the first of the year. 2. Disney dining does not handle their information, you need to call the T-Rex directly, although the WDW Dine line was very nice and gave me the number.

If we can get in I will for sure get some pictures!

RocknGuitar
10-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Cool, hope you can get in. Although I would be hesitant, because Rainforest definitely sucks food-wise. I hope T-Rex is different. Have fun if you get to go!

snoman
10-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Oh yeah, I'm not expecting great food. But really we aren't going there for the food anyways.

kristilovesdw
10-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Oh yeah, I'm not expecting great food. But really we aren't going there for the food anyways.

I've read a couple reviews and it seems to be good so far! I've also seen some pictures of their food and it looks quite yummy, nice big portions :yum: Definitely try and give us a review Sno and let us know how it is!

snoman
10-16-2008, 09:04 PM
I think I'm gonna have to try a Brontosaurus burger!

Sledge
10-16-2008, 11:43 PM
We're going to try and eat here within the next month. Hope its good.

snoman
10-16-2008, 11:44 PM
If we get in I'll bring ya home some leftovers, lol!

Beachgurl
10-17-2008, 10:01 AM
We'll probably go next weekend and maybe do an early dinner or something to try and beat that rush. I hope we don't have to wait forever and a day.

DisneyFanKevin
10-17-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm kind of scared to eat at T-Rex Cafe because some of the restaurants at DTD aren't really appealing to me. McDonald's is the only exception. :lol:

Beachgurl
10-17-2008, 12:14 PM
I wonder if we get AP discounts here...

Because we do at Rainforest and like every other place there.

kirby_is_kyaan
10-19-2008, 12:13 PM
I wonder if we get AP discounts here...

I don't know if some person's review is the word to trust, but:

They participate in the dining plan but any discounts don't start until Nov 1. I would go back again but not for a while.

That and several other reviews are here: http://land.allears.net/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=535&cat=40

peaches magee
10-19-2008, 04:35 PM
So it seems the food is decent but kinda expensive, but the atmosphere more than makes up for it. I'll definately be trying it at least.

The_Bled
10-19-2008, 05:19 PM
I want pictures of this bad boy. Is it open yet?

kirby_is_kyaan
10-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Yes, it is. I'm definitely going to this when we go in February.

snoman
10-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Ok, we made it here today. The wait was only 40 minutes which I was actually pleasantly surprised about. Food is good, I rate it equal to Rainforest, but believe me, I'm no food critic. A good burger and I'm happy. Kids menu is the usual fare. Food is definitely on the pricey side of things though. I had the Bronto burger, which was huge, and good, but was pricey at $12, could go to do double Bronto burger for $15 but really, who needs that much?

Atmosphere was amazing. Felt kinda like the rainforest cafe but with huge and loud dinosaurs. The ice cave room is incredible, all the walls of "ice" change color and it's really cool, bad pun, lol! Gift shop is smaller than you would expect, build a dino is great, kids both did one. They also have a dino dig area which is smaller, but the same thing as the dino dig at Animal Kingdom. Nice activity for kids while you wait for a table.

Service was very good and pretty fast, but we didn't feel rushed to get out. They encouraged us to go around and take pictures but when I started video taping they asked me to stop as there is no video photography permitted inside. Weird, I would think they would want videos out on the web for publicity, didn't understand that one.

I took a lot of pictures and I'll try to post them tonight if I can.

peaches magee
10-19-2008, 09:38 PM
$12 burger? Holy crap!
No video is strange, but guess they don;t want you catching any mistakes in detail. hehe
Can't wait to see the pics!

snoman
10-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Ok, here we go, T-REX pictorial, 10/19:

First some outside shots:
http://i34.tinypic.com/2irmc0h.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/wkqv77.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/4tos3o.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/10qza7q.jpg

Next some shots of the entrance/gift shop area. The huge T-REX is right when you walk in and seperates the gift shop from the restaurant.

http://i34.tinypic.com/334so4l.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/2nbhwdv.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/2ylqmq1.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/2gt2611.jpg

Pictures of the gift shop ceiling and Build-a-Dino:

http://i38.tinypic.com/2147abk.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/2mzlkt2.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/1r579x.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/241p7c6.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/2vtxrsy.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/33xy1ch.jpg

There's a lot more so stay tuned for part 2!

kirby_is_kyaan
10-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Why is the dinosaur in the last pic getting strangled by... sunglasses? hats? :lol:

Nice first part, the first few are shots of the place I haven't even seen yet. :rep:

kristilovesdw
10-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Awesome pictures so far :worship: Can't wait for more!!

snoman
10-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Ok, now for part 2, starting out with where we sat, the Seqouia (sp?) room:

http://i35.tinypic.com/9sw01d.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/2eg4b54.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/ielc9k.jpg

Behind us was the ice cave room, all the walls change color from blue to purple to red and back to blue, really cool effect!

http://i35.tinypic.com/34r9dgw.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/im4c48.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/14wy32g.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/103in7o.jpg

This was right behind us, it's two huge booths built into a giant triceratops. This is one of the few dinosaurs that doesn't move:

http://i38.tinypic.com/egthz8.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/szvt6s.jpg

Now moving on to the ice cave room, also where the restrooms are in case you need a break:

http://i37.tinypic.com/2gt7m7c.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/1428sxi.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/iz9tap.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/eprnug.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/2gy20qh.jpg

I didn't see the official name of the next room but we'll call it the fire room. It had the kitchen of fire on one side where they are cooking:

http://i36.tinypic.com/2i16c8.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/2rdyqzd.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/2m3mdl3.jpg

This is the bar, near the entrance that is covered by a giant octopus and it's tentacles, which move. There are also a couple really nice aquariums and really cool jellyfish light fixtures-which my crappy camera flash totally messed up...

http://i37.tinypic.com/34dhezq.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/28wm91h.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/2q30zsg.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/2vx21ch.jpg

And finally, since I forgot earlier, here is the entrance Dino (kinda like the purple elephant at Rainforest) and a shot of the kids dino dig area:

http://i38.tinypic.com/6jlkdv.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/15i3y14.jpg

Had a great time and would suggest checking it out next time you are at Downtown Disney! We also walked through the mostly boarded up Pleasure Island. Here is a little nostalgia for you:

http://i34.tinypic.com/dhbfcg.jpg

peaches magee
10-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Fantastic pics Sno!! :rep:
I am in love with the ice cave room!

snoman
10-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Yeah the ice cave room is really cool, ha ha. Next time we go we are going to try to request to sit there. Only downside to it is there aren't any dinos or cool animatronics in there. Pretty much everything in the whole T-REX cafe does move too!

kristilovesdw
10-19-2008, 10:48 PM
I'm so eating there in a few weeks! So how was the food? I heard they have a really good cotton candy martini :yum: which I sooo want now! I also heard they have a meteor shower every few minutes (like rainforest has a thunderstorm) was it a cool effect?!

snoman
10-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Food was good I suppose, had a burger so, yeah. My wife had some kinda pasta thing that she said was really good. The menu really looked just like the Rainforest Cafe though just with Dino themed names.

Didn't try the cotton candy martini but it does sound good. Have to drive 45 minutes home and all! They did have a meteor shower every fifteen minutes but it's kinda stupid. The whole place gets dark and you hear crashing noises (like meteor crashes), all the dinos go haywire, in the room where we were they have red strobes flashing in the vines above and in the front rooms they have graphics of meteors shooting across the ceiling. If I had to choose I would take the rainstorm as the meteor shower was pretty cheesey.

Sledge
10-20-2008, 03:47 AM
I'm definitely requesting the ice room. That looks awesome! :rep:

Dr. Emmett Brown
10-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Amazing pics, and your son is sporting the HHN 18 shirt!

:rep:

snoman
10-20-2008, 02:03 PM
Amazing pics, and your son is sporting the HHN 18 shirt!

:rep:

LOL! Yeah, I told him, umm, I'm not sure if that's a great choice to wear to Disney, but he didn't care. Actually a lot of people were asking him about HHN and of course I couldn't get him to shut up about it, ha ha! Also got some great looks from the "proper" parents of the world, screw em all!

Michele
10-21-2008, 12:48 PM
I was at T-Rex Cafe on 10-15, the day after they opened. The wait was 60 minutes, but I was by myself, so I sat at the Shark Bar. I had a frozen Mojito and the filet dinner. The drink was to die for, the meal was just OK especially given the $30 price. My entire meal, including tip and tax, was $50.

The decor is absolutely beautiful. Here are some of my pictures. I took them without the flash so you can see some of the lighting effects.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/myshell003/trexedit3.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/myshell003/trexedit4.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/myshell003/trexedit5.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/myshell003/trexedit6.jpg

Sledge
10-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Welcome to :ou:, Michelle!

Those are some nice pictures. The ice room is definitely the coolest thing I've seen in a restaurant. It all looks so good, where as Rainforest looks kinda cheap to me. :shrug:

tiredoldspook
10-21-2008, 05:33 PM
The scary thing is not the Dino's it is the price,,,,AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

Well good to see people are helping the Economy keep rolling. I will have to go next time I get to Orlando. The pictures look very cool and it is a perfect theme for That area.

Jakemeister
10-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Michelle post the picture of the Frozen Mojito. I can't drink but this thing looks to die for.

The_Bled
10-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Nice shots Michelle and Sno! Rep to both. :thumbs:

YETI PINTRADER
11-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Also on my Sunday trip I payed a visit to T-Rex. I have to say it looks amazing. It is smaller than it looks like in all the pictures. The entire place is really great and I really hope to eat there sometime.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/dedication58/S6300557.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/dedication58/S6300535.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/dedication58/S6300556.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/dedication58/S6300520.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/dedication58/S6300521.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/dedication58/S6300522.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/dedication58/S6300524.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/dedication58/S6300525.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/dedication58/S6300526.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/dedication58/S6300529.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/dedication58/S6300530.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/dedication58/S6300528.jpg

kirby_is_kyaan
11-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Nice mini-TRs from here and Universal. :rep:

peaches magee
11-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Yay new T-Rex pics :)
Thanks Yeti!

Beachgurl
11-04-2008, 11:12 PM
I totally forgot to mention... Jase and I ate here a couple weeks ago and I actually thought it was pretty decent. I had the parmesan crusted mahi mahi and it was delicious. There was a little bit too much breading, but the whole meal was very filling.

We didn't have to wait too long. It was about 30 minutes and we sat on the border of the Ice Cave and the room with the fire.

We'll probably go back next weekend when my mom is in town!

Sledge
11-15-2008, 03:10 PM
We went again today and got there around noon. We were seated immediately. Service was sloooooooooooow again. Very slow. We ordered the Artifact Stack (onion rings appetizer) and it didn't come until about 45 minutes after we ordered. Our actual meal took about 40 minutes to get. I had the burger and it was better than last time and I love their waffle fries. The menu isn't too great for picky eaters like myself. I thought they'd have the brick oven pizza like Rain Forrest, but they didn't. I really don't have a reason to go back anytime soon. The service isn't very good (hopefully only because it's so new) and the food I actually will eat I can get elsewhere that taste better and is cheaper.

BriMan
11-15-2008, 03:28 PM
The service isn't very good (hopefully only because it's so new) and the food I actually will eat I can get elsewhere that taste better and is cheaper.

Like a burger at IHOP where you can use a Watchovia and be served by Greta.....right?

Sledge
11-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Heck yeah. IHOP has one of the best burgers too, believe it or not. I'd put IHOP as a Top 5. :lol:

kirby_is_kyaan
11-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Does anybody know if T-Rex is on the Dining Plan, or at least will in 2009? I'm trying to help plan my trip in February, this is the major thing in our way right now. It would be nice if it is, I want to see for myself how it is.

d a n n y
11-15-2008, 03:57 PM
I'll try this place once on my next trip, I guess.

snoman
11-15-2008, 07:01 PM
It is not on the dining plan, in fact Disney won't handle reservations with them until after the first of the year, you actually have to call the T-REX directly.

Dr. Emmett Brown
02-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Well, we drove down to the Caribe Royal hotel to pick up my uncle who is in town for a few days and take him to dinner. I figured, heck we're close, lets go check out the T-Rex Cafe. The wait to get in at 8:00 was an hour and 45 minutes. Screw that, we said and headed to Fulton's Crab House.

Don't eat at Fulton's unless you're prepared to spend about $50 bucks for a meal. Seriously, the average price of an entree is around $35.

tiredoldspook
02-17-2009, 03:04 PM
UHm If you get out of any DD place to eat with a meal for under $40 with tip U have done well or not ate much.

Dr. Emmett Brown
02-17-2009, 03:49 PM
UHm If you get out of any DD place to eat with a meal for under $40 with tip U have done well or not ate much.

I just found it ridiculous that my 8oz. fillet of Mahi (which was VERY good) was $35... without any sides.

ralphoutloud
02-17-2009, 04:01 PM
I just found it ridiculous that my 8oz. fillet of Mahi (which was VERY good) was $35... without any sides.

Good Mahi Mahi usually costs anywhere from $25 - $35 anyway....

But that sucks that you didn't get any sides, is Fulton's a la Carte?

Dr. Emmett Brown
02-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Good Mahi Mahi usually costs anywhere from $25 - $35 anyway....

But that sucks that you didn't get any sides, is Fulton's a la Carte?

Oh it was good Mahi Mahi. But not $35 good.

Fulton's is not a la Carte, to my knowledge...

Beachgurl
02-17-2009, 04:15 PM
I would have rather gone to Boston Lobster Feast. :lol:

BigAl_PT
02-17-2009, 05:47 PM
I went in January. We got there around 6:30pm on a Wednesday night and were seated within 10 minutes (there was 4 of us). The atmosphere is GREAT and I prefer the theming of T-Rex much more than Rainforest Cafe. Additionally, the food we had was head and shoulders better. We started with Dexter's Dual Dip which was very good. I ended up ordering the Paleo Shrimp. They were EXCELLENT! Not too spicy and very flavorful. I was highly impressed.

snoman
02-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Glad you liked it BigAl, I've been there twice now and really enjoyed it both times. We had very good service and the food was good too!

BigAl_PT
02-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Glad you liked it BigAl, I've been there twice now and really enjoyed it both times. We had very good service and the food was good too!
I've always been a big dinosaur geek since I was little, so my opinion may be biased. However, my wife, sister and brothrt-in-law all liked T-Red better as well.

kirby_is_kyaan
02-19-2009, 09:15 AM
I was also impressed with T-Rex... except for the store, not much there unless you want to Build-A-Dino. :lol:

BigAl_PT
02-19-2009, 04:52 PM
I was also impressed with T-Rex... except for the store, not much there unless you want to Build-A-Dino. :lol:
I agree. My wife was going to build a dino but then decided against it because it would just collect dust once we got it home. I really wanted to get a coffee mug, but all of them had the cartoon-ish dinos on them. Couldn't they have mugs with scientific sketches of a triceratops? t-rex? stegosaurus? Is that too much to ask?

My brother-in-law did buy one of those rocks you break open in the machine. It's cool to do it...but what do you do with the rock afterwards? :shrug:

YETI PINTRADER
02-19-2009, 05:46 PM
You put it in your house and stare at it. If it does something it is probably possessed and you should put it in your annoying neighbors house.

kristilovesdw
02-19-2009, 05:46 PM
I remember reading an article about the future of Landry's and it possibly not making it through 2009... not sure the effect it would have on WDW but it was the first thing that came to my mind. I'll see if I can still find the article.

EDIT:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/15-Companies-That-Might-Not-usnews-14279875.html

Landry's Restaurants. (LNY; about 17,000 employees; stock down 66%). This restaurant chain, which operates Chart House, Rainforest Café, and other eateries, needs $400 million in new financing to finalize a buyout deal dating to last June. If lenders come through, the company should have enough cash to ride out the recession. But at least two banks have already balked, leading to downgrades of the company's debt and the prospect of a cash-flow crunch.

Blackfox707
04-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Personally when i went with my brother we were in the fire/volcano section...It was fantastic the atmosphere was great but the food, was eh

kirby_is_kyaan
04-12-2009, 12:43 AM
I actually enjoyed my Triassic Tortellini quite a bit, it has to be better than Rainforest Cafe, if what I've heard about the food is true.

peaches magee
04-12-2009, 12:58 AM
We went a couple weeks back and really loved it actually.
We had a 45 minute wait on a Wednesday night. But it really wasn't so bad because you can kill 45 minutes in WoD EASY!
Plus I got to meet up with Sledge & Beachgurl for a bit :D
My son got a kick out of his half yard icee, thought he was all special having the biggest drink at the table.
We sat right by the Wooly Mammoths in a comfy spacious booth.
I thought the food was pretty good actually. I had the chicken salad crossiant sandwich, had tarragon in it like my dad makes it, so I really liked it.
The hubs got the appetizer sampler as his meal which was onion rings, a cheddar jack queso dip and chips, quesadillas and bruschetta. All pretty yum.
I was impressed that is wasn't ALL fried crap like most samplers are.

Here are some pics...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3594/3432807361_5df4056000_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3580/3433618554_5f7e3e7dbe_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3395/3433618446_6055292706_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3302/3432807435_746cd9df84_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3385/3432819487_ce67cc25eb_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3367/3432819419_1b980761cd_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3654/3433630294_b13ea9a7d4_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3555/3432819263_5cdaa0c539_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3598/3432819201_89da028a47_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3380/3432819153_88f7b32c71_o.jpg

Hey just HAD to have one...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3320/3432829765_cfd104063a_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3585/3433640780_0a9b7a51f7_o.jpg

Jakemeister
04-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Can anyone tell me what you guys usually pay for your total bill there? I'm thinking about going here on my birthday and want to know the pricing.

kirby_is_kyaan
04-16-2009, 10:00 AM
We went a couple weeks back and really loved it actually.
We had a 45 minute wait on a Wednesday night. But it really wasn't so bad because you can kill 45 minutes in WoD EASY!
Plus I got to meet up with Sledge & Beachgurl for a bit :D
My son got a kick out of his half yard icee, thought he was all special having the biggest drink at the table.
We sat right by the Wooly Mammoths in a comfy spacious booth.
I thought the food was pretty good actually. I had the chicken salad crossiant sandwich, had tarragon in it like my dad makes it, so I really liked it.
The hubs got the appetizer sampler as his meal which was onion rings, a cheddar jack queso dip and chips, quesadillas and bruschetta. All pretty yum.
I was impressed that is wasn't ALL fried crap like most samplers are.

Thanks for the little report, but now I'm hungry! :lol:

BigAl_PT
04-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Can anyone tell me what you guys usually pay for your total bill there? I'm thinking about going here on my birthday and want to know the pricing.
It's not very pricey at all (at least by my standards). I looked at the T-Rex website. They have the menu for Orlando in pdf format but they left off the prices (that way they can make adjustments as needed I guess). :shrug:

Beachgurl
04-16-2009, 08:34 PM
I think the time Jason and I went by ourselves the bill came out to be about $60.

snoman
04-17-2009, 11:45 AM
First time we went had 2 adults, 2 kids, both of us had two beers. I think it was around 70 or 80 total. Second time same group with no beers it was around 50 or 60.

peaches magee
04-17-2009, 01:55 PM
We had the 4 of us and it was like 80 bucks I think

BigAl_PT
04-17-2009, 03:06 PM
I think it's definitely a good value considering the quality of the food as well as the atmosphere you experience while you're there. There is so much going on that it will seem like you get your food in no time (at least it was like that for us).

HT_NSU
04-17-2009, 04:20 PM
I agree. My wife was going to build a dino but then decided against it because it would just collect dust once we got it home. I really wanted to get a coffee mug, but all of them had the cartoon-ish dinos on them. Couldn't they have mugs with scientific sketches of a triceratops? t-rex? stegosaurus? Is that too much to ask?

My brother-in-law did buy one of those rocks you break open in the machine. It's cool to do it...but what do you do with the rock afterwards? :shrug:

What do you do with it afterwards????......Apprently you let it sit on the dinning room table while your wife cleans around it even four months after you've gotten home!!!:mad:

Seriously though, I really enjoyed it when we went. I thought the pricing was fine compared to everywhere else on Disney property. I had one of those cotton-candy martini things and it was excellent! I also had the tomato-basil soup and I enjoyed that too! My only complaint was that I had way too much food! :thumbs:

peaches magee
04-18-2009, 01:56 AM
What do you do with it afterwards????......Apprently you let it sit on the dinning room table while your wife cleans around it even four months after you've gotten home!!!:mad:

Seriously though, I really enjoyed it when we went. I thought the pricing was fine compared to everywhere else on Disney property. I had one of those cotton-candy martini things and it was excellent! I also had the tomato-basil soup and I enjoyed that too! My only complaint was that I had way too much food! :thumbs:

I was eyeing those Cotton Candy-tinis :) Maybe next time. hehe

Beachgurl
04-18-2009, 02:18 AM
I was eyeing those Cotton Candy-tinis :) Maybe next time. hehe

They looked yummy!

But then I saw the reaction of this chick that got one...

And I decided maybe I better not try it. :lol:

peaches magee
04-18-2009, 03:37 AM
They looked yummy!

But then I saw the reaction of this chick that got one...

And I decided maybe I better not try it. :lol:

Describe it. :lol:

PrinceCharmingsMom
04-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Our family of four (3 adults and one child) got the flatbread appetizer and nacho appetizer and split them. It was more than enough for all of us to eat and we also got the baby a icee drink in a bone collectible cup. Our total was less than $50.

Wamba Wayne
05-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Dinosaurs grunting and chewing while we dine on chicken wings. Hmmmm....

Scarletwebslingr
05-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Dino... Droppings Droppings?

peaches magee
05-05-2009, 03:24 AM
Dino... Droppings Droppings?

I soooo wanna complete his quote once they cut back to that scene but we keep it PG 'round here so. :doh: :lol:

SherKhan72
05-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Hmmmm, I think I might be eating here for my birthday tomorrow. My wife was asking me where I'd like to eat after I get my gift card. I'm still contemplating if I want to eat here or somewhere else but I'm a huge dinosaur fan so I think I don't mind those dinosaurs eating w/ me and being my guest for my birthday, lol.

Sledge
05-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Hmmmm, I think I might be eating here for my birthday tomorrow. My wife was asking me where I'd like to eat after I get my gift card. I'm still contemplating if I want to eat here or somewhere else but I'm a huge dinosaur fan so I think I don't mind those dinosaurs eating w/ me and being my guest for my birthday, lol.
Gift card as in the Disney Fun Card they give you on your birthday? If so, you aren't able to use the Fun Card at dinning locations.

use for certain purchases including select merchandise, recreation or tour experiences, or for Disney's PhotoPass® on-site services at participating locations at Walt Disney World® Resort

Not sure if this is even what you were talking about, but thought I'd save you the hassle of finding out later if this was in fact the gift card in your post.

SherKhan72
05-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Gift card as in the Disney Fun Card they give you on your birthday? If so, you aren't able to use the Fun Card at dinning locations.
Not sure if this is even what you were talking about, but thought I'd save you the hassle of finding out later if this was in fact the gift card in your post.

Oh, Sledge, I know you can't use it for dinning, hehehehe, I think I didn't clarify it by stating that I was going to get my gift card and spend it on WOD then eat an early dinner. Actually, we ended up eating at Kona Cafe for dinner. My wife wanted to try dinner over at Kona. After dinner, we went to DTD and I went on a small shopping spree at WOD, heheheheh.

Sledge
05-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Awesome. I love Kona. What did y'all get? Their teriyaki steak is the best steak anywhere. Kona is a much better choice than T-Rex Cafe. :lol:

SherKhan72
05-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Awesome. I love Kona. What did y'all get? Their teriyaki steak is the best steak anywhere. Kona is a much better choice than T-Rex Cafe. :lol:

Yes, I do agree that Kona Cafe has a better menu than T-Rex Cafe even though I haven't eaten at T-Rex Cafe yet, heheheheh. We had Kona Salad and Sticky Wings. For our entree, my wife had the Slow Roasted Prime Rib and I had the Macadamia Nut and Chive Crusted Mahi Mahi (I like the original recipe way better). And for dessert, we shared the Banana-Chocolate Creme Brulee. Sooooooooo good, lol. I love eating at Kona Cafe. :thumbs: :happy:

hairyleo
07-22-2009, 05:44 PM
I really liked T-Rex. I just went there in May. My family and I tried to get reservations for it last summer, but it wasn't open yet! My dad called and the girl was like, "I've never heard of it." It was SO funny!

BriMan
02-04-2010, 04:25 AM
Grabbed some pics the other night, figured I'd share with you guys.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/briman2244/Trex/IMG_5765.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/briman2244/Trex/IMG_5766.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/briman2244/Trex/IMG_5767.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/briman2244/Trex/IMG_5768.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/briman2244/Trex/IMG_5769.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/briman2244/Trex/IMG_5770.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/briman2244/Trex/IMG_5771.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/briman2244/Trex/IMG_5773.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/briman2244/Trex/IMG_5774.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/briman2244/Trex/IMG_5775.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/briman2244/Trex/IMG_5776.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/briman2244/Trex/IMG_5777.jpg