PDA

View Full Version : Diana - The People's Princess

Drew
06-20-2009, 08:42 PM
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The People’s Princess Charitable Foundation, Inc. (PPCF) is bringing “DIANA–The People’s Princess” – a major new exhibit of royal artifacts – to Walt Disney World Resort. Opening in early July 2009, this limited-time experience showcases the life and story of one of the most iconic and inspirational figures in recent history, including a sampling of the royal dresses Diana chose to auction for charity and hundreds of authentic artifacts relating to her life.

“DIANA–The People’s Princess” exhibit will be held in a 17,500-square-foot setting at Downtown Disney West Side adjacent to DisneyQuest. This unique exhibition is one of the largest collections of royal dresses and rare artifacts ever assembled for an American audience which provides an in-depth historical perspective of her life. The exhibit includes five rarely seen royal dresses worn by Princess Diana.

As part of this unique experience, guests will come to understand:

The stories of Diana’s own childhood and ancestry and how that lineage was influential in her selection as the future bride of HRH Charles, The Prince of Wales, the future King of England.
Her magical royal wedding which was viewed by over 750 million people from around the globe; her favorite role as “mum” to princes William and Harry.
Kensington Palace, the royal residence where Diana lived from the moment she became the Princess of Wales until her death and which today plays an active role in preserving her charitable legacy.
The historical significance of her role as Princess of Wales and the impact she had through that role on the fashion industry and charitable landscape.
How at the Christie’s “Sale of The Century,” 79 of Diana’s royal dresses were sold to benefit charities which helped position her as an astute philanthropist.
Her untimely passing and the massive media and public interest in the tragedy.
The charitable impact still being recognized through her gowns and personal effects.

A hint at some of the items display:

Royal Doulton figurine of Diana in her wedding dress – Made in 1981 at the time of the royal wedding, the doll is wearing an exact replica of the famous wedding dress.

The Black Velvet “V” Neck – Designed by Bruce Oldfield and worn by Diana for her official royal portrait in 1985.

Wedding Breakfast booklet – Contains guest names and two tickets to observe the bride and bridegroom before and following the wedding ceremony in the quadrangle at Buckingham Palace and Clarence House.

Three-foot doll of Diana as a young girl – Released by the Great American Doll Company in 1998 as a tribute to Diana, Princess of Wales.

“The late Princess used her globally renowned platform brilliantly,” commented Maureen Rorech Dunkel, founder of PPCF. “She understood that the many different experiences she had in her life, both positive and negative, made her more relatable to the public. She used this quality to connect to the common masses and in doing so became known as ‘The People’s Princess.’ She used her compassion to bring support to all those in need and is still to this date, almost 12 years after her tragic passing, regarded as one of the most influential humanitarians of all time.”

“We look forward to The People’s Princess Charitable Foundation bringing this unique experience to our Downtown Disney guests,” said Kevin Lansberry, Vice President of Downtown Disney. “We remain committed to offering guests new and exciting experiences they can only have at the Walt Disney World Resort.”

Tickets may be purchased at the exhibit – $14.50 (ages 10 and above), $5 (ages 3-9). The exhibition will be through Nov. 30, 2009. Hours are 11 a.m.-11 p.m. daily.

Very unexpected to say the least. I'm sure many British tourists will visit this during the summer. All I can say is... atleast it's temporary.

The exhibit is in the old Virgin Megastore building.

BriMan
06-22-2009, 02:26 AM
According to Screamscape, the exhibit will last until November.

Drew
07-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Here's an image released by Disney...

http://i28.tinypic.com/6tilnm.jpg

DIANA -- THE PEOPLE'S PRINCESS: Guests to Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. can now immerse themselves in the life of one of the most iconic figures of our time. "Diana -- The People's Princess" celebrates the late Princess of Wales in a walk-through experience featuring 800-900 rare artifacts -- most of which have never been viewed by an American audience. On view are items from her childhood, royal items from her engagement and wedding, hand-written notes, photography and signature gowns and suits. Diana's celebrated life plays out in video stations throughout the experience, including her unprecedented work with children and charities. Presented by The People's Princess Charitable Foundation, "Diana -- The People's Princess" is open daily through Nov. 30, 2009. Tickets may be purchased at the exhibit, located at Downtown Disney West Side. (David Roark, photographer)

ralphoutloud
07-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Wow they got that up pretty quickly, lol.

SpyderDan
07-08-2009, 09:24 PM
This seems kind of strange to me. I miss Virgin.

Dr. Emmett Brown
07-08-2009, 11:12 PM
This seems kind of strange to me. I miss Virgin.

I miss mine too...

All joking aside.. I don't see the point in this other than to be a temporary filler for the empty Virgin store.

SpyderDan
07-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Oddly enough, I think I dreamt last night that I was visiting this exhibit already. Very odd.

YETI PINTRADER
07-09-2009, 04:55 PM
I say just tear the wall down and expand DisneyQuest.

Bluemanfan
07-09-2009, 06:35 PM
I say just tear the wall down and expand DisneyQuest.

I am with you 100% on that

SpyderDan
07-10-2009, 09:40 PM
What's up with the rumor about the AMC IMAX theater?

BriMan
07-11-2009, 01:50 AM
Just rumors at this point. Nothing really concrete has been said.

SpyderDan
07-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Just rumors at this point. Nothing really concrete has been said.

I think it'd be a great idea if they went ahead and turned the Virgin into an IMAX screen (maybe two, space permitting). It'd draw a lot of people to the area I would think. There aren't many IMAX theaters in Orlando.

YETI PINTRADER
07-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Does Universal have an IMAX? If they do it would be smart for Disney to come back and compete.

Drew
07-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Does Universal have an IMAX? If they do it would be smart for Disney to come back and compete.

Don't think the CityWalk theater has one. AMC signed a deal to install a bunch of new IMAX theaters last summer, they've been popping up all over the place.

Wouldn't surprise me if both Disney & Universal got one.

Dr. Emmett Brown
07-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Don't think the CityWalk theater has one. AMC signed a deal to install a bunch of new IMAX theaters last summer, they've been popping up all over the place.

Wouldn't surprise me if both Disney & Universal got one.

The AMC Altamonte Mall (theater closest to my house) got their IMAX a couple months ago.

SpyderDan
07-12-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm kind of baffled by how Disney and Universal have gone this long without them. You'd think they would be a big draw.

ghostrider455
07-12-2009, 10:59 PM
The new AMC ones are not real IMAX screens. They are IMAX Digital screens that are way smaller than the real thing. This article will explain what they are.
http://gizmodo.com/5250625/cineplexes-getting-imax-but-is-it-imax-or-conspiracy

SpyderDan
07-13-2009, 04:11 PM
The new AMC ones are not real IMAX screens. They are IMAX Digital screens that are way smaller than the real thing. This article will explain what they are.

Well, they were never gonna be like the IMAX domes in science centers. I don't think a feature film would look right in those. I'm pretty happy with what they've done with the new screens.

Drew
07-13-2009, 04:46 PM

I saw one of the new IMAX screens in September when I saw Eagle Eye. It wasn't overly impressive. It did look better though. Pretty good HD look. I wouldn't spring the extra $5 bucks again though.

I DID see the Dark Knight in legit IMAX though. That was incredible. The Lincoln Square IMAX in NYC is insane. I couldn't believe how big the screen was.

SpyderDan
07-13-2009, 05:20 PM
I DID see the Dark Knight in legit IMAX though. That was incredible. The Lincoln Square IMAX in NYC is insane. I couldn't believe how big the screen was.

Yeah, it also helps when the movie or at least part of it is shot with IMAX cameras like Dark Knight was.

I saw Lion King in IMAX when it was re-released a few years ago. It was awesome.

ghostrider455
07-13-2009, 06:00 PM
I am just happy I have a real IMAX down the street from me. I have been to one of the retrofits, and it is just not the same.

Disneyhead
07-13-2009, 06:15 PM
We have 3 IMAX theaters here in Orlando. I have been to two of them. The Regal IMAX at Pointe Orlando is legit. The AMC IMAX in Altamonte is a dinky screen. I have yet to try the one in Oveido, but it is Regal, so I have hope it is a REAL one also.

OrangeJuiceHorror
08-07-2009, 09:29 PM

That is EXACTLY what I tell all my friends.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

We have 3 IMAX theaters here in Orlando. I have been to two of them. The Regal IMAX at Pointe Orlando is legit. The AMC IMAX in Altamonte is a dinky screen. I have yet to try the one in Oveido, but it is Regal, so I have hope it is a REAL one also.

The one at Waterford Lakes is even dinkier than the one in Altamonte. I believe that its just a regular screen they're trying to play off as a "IMAX"

Chris
08-07-2009, 09:31 PM

Bhahaha. I love that I come into this thread thinking to myself "Holy cow, someone actually PAID to see that Diana thing?" and it ends up being nothing to do with the topic at all. Actually, I'm more interested in the off-topic discussion here anyway. I think it's been already established that the Imax screen for AMC is being converted from one of the existing screens in the building, right?

....Did that Diana thing ever even open? Or is it this fall?

OrangeJuiceHorror
08-07-2009, 09:31 PM
So getting back to the whole Diania thing. Has anyone actually been there yet? I would love to go and see it. But only if its worth it.

SpyderDan
08-07-2009, 09:49 PM
....Did that Diana thing ever even open? Or is it this fall?

It's open now, I walked by it the other day, but I obviously didn't go in lol.

Chris
08-07-2009, 10:03 PM
It's open now, I walked by it the other day, but I obviously didn't go in lol.

When did it open? I was at DisneyQuest with some clients a week and a half or so ago and I didn't see any mention of it...

Mearn
08-10-2009, 08:39 PM

The one in Oviedo is the second floor of a shopping mall, there's no way it's a full IMAX screen.

SpyderDan
08-10-2009, 09:06 PM
When did it open? I was at DisneyQuest with some clients a week and a half or so ago and I didn't see any mention of it...

Haha I have no idea, honestly. I guess earlier this month? I was surprised to see it open when I went by.

Chris
08-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Haha I have no idea, honestly. I guess earlier this month? I was surprised to see it open when I went by.

I'm even more surprised to hear that people walk through that part of Downtown Disney?! :confused:

SpyderDan
08-11-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm even more surprised to hear that people walk through that part of Downtown Disney?! :confused:

Haha well...yeah, I guess it is surprising. Old habits die hard!

Chris
08-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Haha well...yeah, I guess it is surprising. Old habits die hard!

Ohhh - so it's one of those "I'm here! Awww, but PI is still gone. Aww so is Virgin. Aww so is all the entertainment! And atmosphere! Screw it, I'm going to Epcot."

Understandable.

hairyleo
08-11-2009, 01:28 PM
I can't believe they got rid of virgin! We would always park over there, walk in right next to that big disney store (we spend quite a bit of time there) then walk over to Virgin. It was an amazing store! Is it coming back?

Chris
08-11-2009, 01:35 PM
I can't believe they got rid of virgin! We would always park over there, walk in right next to that big disney store (we spend quite a bit of time there) then walk over to Virgin. It was an amazing store! Is it coming back?

No - the entire chain closed down; not just Downtown Disney.

Big Disney Store? Are you talking about DisneyQuest? Cuz that's not a store...

YETI PINTRADER
08-11-2009, 01:44 PM
I think he is talking about World of Disney.

Chris
08-11-2009, 01:49 PM
I think he is talking about World of Disney.

But it's not really near Virgin? Ok sure, we'll go with that. It's easier that way :)

SpyderDan
08-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Ohhh - so it's one of those "I'm here! Awww, but PI is still gone. Aww so is Virgin. Aww so is all the entertainment! And atmosphere! Screw it, I'm going to Epcot."

Understandable.

Haha pretty much. The walk to the other side is enjoyable though.

I miss the Virgin store. I never bought much in there but it was fun to browse.

YETI PINTRADER
08-11-2009, 09:04 PM

I walked through Pleasure Island once and went to Virgin once. Soon after I learned that Pleasure Island was closing and so was Virgin. Although I wanted to go to the Adventurers Club I really do not miss either of them.

Chris
08-11-2009, 10:18 PM

Yeah... know what you mean. I went into Virgin a bunch but never bought stuff there. Not really even interested in things they had for that matter, but I still would go in. It's weird that it's gone, but as long as it's replaced with SOMETHING, I guess I really don't care.

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

I walked through Pleasure Island once and went to Virgin once. Soon after I learned that Pleasure Island was closing and so was Virgin. Although I wanted to go to the Adventurers Club I really do not miss either of them.

How can you not miss Adventurers Club? You sir, sicken me. :mad:

The Patchman
08-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Great woman and she should have a lasting legacy. However I dont really like this idea that much.

Chris
08-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Great woman and she should have a lasting legacy. However I dont really like this idea that much.

It's just a temporary thing.

YETI PINTRADER
08-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Yeah... know what you mean. I went into Virgin a bunch but never bought stuff there. Not really even interested in things they had for that matter, but I still would go in. It's weird that it's gone, but as long as it's replaced with SOMETHING, I guess I really don't care.

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

How can you not miss Adventurers Club? You sir, sicken me. :mad:

I never went in. Can't really miss what I didn't see.

Chris
08-13-2009, 12:31 PM
I never went in. Can't really miss what I didn't see.

:nuts:

The Patchman
08-13-2009, 02:40 PM
I know it's temporary. I mean it's ok but I dont know.

SpyderDan
08-13-2009, 05:37 PM

Over the ten or so years it was open, I did buy a couple of things. But yeah, mostly overpriced it was. I guess that's why the chain died. Record stores in general are dying anyway. It definitely needs to be replaced with something but I'm not at all satisfied with this Diana exhibit.

And I never went to Adventurer's Club either when it was open. I wasn't really aware of it when it was open, which is too bad, I could've finally worn my fedora out in public.

YETI PINTRADER
08-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Over the ten or so years it was open, I did buy a couple of things. But yeah, mostly overpriced it was. I guess that's why the chain died. Record stores in general are dying anyway. It definitely needs to be replaced with something but I'm not at all satisfied with this Diana exhibit.

And I never went to Adventurer's Club either when it was open. I wasn't really aware of it when it was open, which is too bad, I could've finally worn my fedora out in public.

Am I the only one that thinks that wearing a fedora in public is normal? :look:

Chris
08-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Am I the only one that thinks that wearing a fedora in public is normal? :look:

Being unique is not a bad thing. It's not like you're walking around in public wearing a fedora. :thumbs:

rewster
08-30-2009, 03:12 AM
I can't even recall where I heard this - (so take it with a big grain of salt obviously) - but I heard rumor of the Virgin space possibly being the future home of a giant Apple store? My first thought was that this doesn't seem practical - but then again neither was Virgin. But it COULD be a great way for Apple to showcase the brand, raise exposure, etc.....

But this part of Downtown Dis most def needs some CPR..... quick.

Anybody else bummed about Starabilia's closing?

SpyderDan
08-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Anybody else bummed about Starabilia's closing?

I was. But that was another store that wasn't very practical. People treated it more like a museum rather than a store. I certainly never purchased anything in there.

But the whole issue of the stores not being practical...it is a tourist area. They're not supposed to be practical! Nobody wants to see a Target replace Virgin. :lol:

rewster
08-30-2009, 02:28 PM
lol very true :lol:...... but you know it's driving Walmart nuts that there's a dark spot in their dominance map...... Walmart Supercenter West Side coming soon??

SpyderDan
08-30-2009, 02:53 PM
lol very true :lol:...... but you know it's driving Walmart nuts that there's a dark spot in their dominance map...... Walmart Supercenter West Side coming soon??

God, I hope not... :lol:

Drew
08-30-2009, 04:30 PM
I would say an ESPN Zone would be awesome, but Disney Quest would see a severe decrease in business I'm sure because the ESPN Zone arcade would be/is much cheaper.

It's a really tough spot. Apple store... I can see... but at the same time, I can't see someone on vacation buying an iPod or an iPhone.

Virgin was perfect. I'm so depressed that the stores here in New York closed. Their DVD collection was second to none.

I'm guessing we might see some kind of elaborate themed restaurant since Disney loves Rainforest Cafe and T-Rex so much. Something similar to Mars 2112 in NYC, but not as crappy food wise.

In the end, I'd love to see an ESPN Zone, but it'll never happen.

SpyderDan
08-30-2009, 04:33 PM
In the end, I'd love to see an ESPN Zone, but it'll never happen.

I'd love to see that too but I always wondered what effect it would have on ESPN Club.

Drew
08-30-2009, 04:44 PM
I'd love to see that too but I always wondered what effect it would have on ESPN Club.

...and that's another of many reasons that I can't see it happening. It's a real shame. I went to ESPN Club way back in like.. 1999. I'd like to go again, I don't remember anything about it.

Jakemeister
08-30-2009, 06:19 PM
As much as I'm not a fan of Apple I could see how it could work in some instances. The fact of the matter is people break and loose things on vacation. Some people are a little psycho about there iPod's and iPhone's so they very well might go drop hard cash on a new one.

SpyderDan
08-30-2009, 06:20 PM
...and that's another of many reasons that I can't see it happening. It's a real shame. I went to ESPN Club way back in like.. 1999. I'd like to go again, I don't remember anything about it.

Haha I was just there recently actually. It's just an awesome sports bar, really. Probably not that different from an ESPN Zone. That's the problem I guess. But since I have so many happy memories of ESPN Club, I guess I'd rather them keep that rather than risk Disney removing it for a Zone in Downtown Disney.

DisneyFanKevin
11-30-2009, 12:57 AM
To bump the topic with some news from Screamscape:

Downtown Disney News - (11/30/09) A few new pictures from Pleasure Island have been added to the Save Pleasure Island blog. Oh… and today is also the last day for the Princess Diana exhibit in the former Virgin Megastore.

Drew
11-30-2009, 01:08 AM
I'm anxious to see what comes next.

DisneyFanKevin
11-30-2009, 02:03 AM
I'm anxious to see what comes next.

Apple Store, anyone? :lol:

rewster
11-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Apple Store, anyone? :lol:

Yes sir!! :thumbs:

I was just talking to a co-worker about this, and he told me something really interesting......

He claims he was walking next to the AMC at Downtown Dis the other day, between the theater and the old Virgin spot, and he was on his iPhone. As he was walking next to the building, a WiFi connection window popped up on his iPhone that was titled.......... "AppleStore"!

Obviously this is unconfirmed....... but maybe next time someone here with an iPhone is at DD, we could test this?.......

Drew
11-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Yes sir!! :thumbs:

I was just talking to a co-worker about this, and he told me something really interesting......

He claims he was walking next to the AMC at Downtown Dis the other day, between the theater and the old Virgin spot, and he was on his iPhone. As he was walking next to the building, a WiFi connection window popped up on his iPhone that was titled.......... "AppleStore"!

Obviously this is unconfirmed....... but maybe next time someone here with an iPhone is at DD, we could test this?.......

Wow. Very, very interesting if this is indeed true.

BriMan
12-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Pics from today. They got rid of any traces of Diana from the outside.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/briman2244/Update/IMG_2011.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/briman2244/Update/IMG_2012.jpg