PDA

View Full Version : The Hat May Be Coming Down

Pages : [1] 2

Dr. Emmett Brown
05-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Screamscape:

Park News - (5/25/09) According to an article posted to WDW Magic at Disney’s Hollywood Studios 20th Birthday event during a Q&A session with a few Imagineers, they left the crowd with the distinct impression that the giant Sorcerer’s Hat may be coming down at some point in the near future.

Discuss.

jme
05-27-2009, 10:13 AM
If true, then they must be doing it to make the center landmark more functional by replacing it.

The castle in MK is obvious, the globe in Epcot doubles as a ride, the tree in AK has the Tough to be a Bug attraction, while the hat is just a pin station.

But even still, didn't they *just* renovate it in Feb? Why go through the trouble just to tear it down so soon after?

Disneyhead
05-27-2009, 10:19 AM
The parks center icon is the Chinese theater, not the BUH.

Here is what it looked like prior to adding the hat.

http://www.yesterland.com/removehat.html

HT_NSU
05-27-2009, 12:06 PM
I heard about this on one of the many Disney podcasts I subscribe to. I really hope it's true. I don't mind the hat too much, but I hate where it is and the fact that it's hiding the Chinese theater.

That picture in the link above is what I remember DHS looking like from when I was a kid, and I would love to see it back that way (although I would hope that some type of update to The Great Movie Ride would come with the change)

Please, oh please move :dhs: If not, take it down completely! :cross:

Beachgurl
05-27-2009, 12:38 PM
I just wonder if there's any truth to the reason they put it up to begin with... all the legal mumbo jumbo.

ralphoutloud
05-27-2009, 12:47 PM
I actually like the Hat, it'd be cool if they could just move it elsewhere. It really is nice at night.

some random guy
05-27-2009, 04:40 PM
i have no problem the hat but it is blocking the icon which was the theater nice hat wrong place

Sledge
05-27-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm definitely a Disney purist, but even I don't hate the hat. It's more so I hate the location.

YETI PINTRADER
05-27-2009, 05:41 PM
I like the hat more than the theater. The hat seems to better represent the magic of Disney movies better than an ancient theater with an outdated ride inside of it. Keep the hat. It may not have anything in it but it still works.

some random guy
05-27-2009, 05:48 PM
I like the hat more than the theater. The hat seems to better represent the magic of Disney movies better than an ancient theater with an outdated ride inside of it. Keep the hat. It may not have anything in it but it still works.
you got a good a point but the hat throws the themeing to me i see all of these hollywood looking buildins and then :dhs: hits you right in face its just the size of this thing that destroys that area but it would look nice over near pixar i think the size of it .....its just to big to me

YETI PINTRADER
05-27-2009, 05:58 PM
That is like saying, I see all of these old American style buildings walking down Main Street U.S.A then :mk: I see a giant castle! For me the hat really makes me feel like I am really in the Disney Studios.

SpyderDan
05-27-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm kind of ambivalent to this. Yes, I enjoyed the old look. I can live with the giant hat. Either way, I'm good. I'm just wondering what exactly the Imagineers said to suggest that the hat was coming down. Are people confusing their distaste for the hat with facts about its alleged removal?

BriMan
05-27-2009, 06:02 PM
you got a good a point but the hat throws the themeing to me i see all of these hollywood looking buildins and then :dhs: hits you right in face its just the size of this thing that destroys that area but it would look nice over near pixar i think the size of it .....its just to big to me

I'm not really a fan of the hat. The whole point of Hollywood Blvd is to recreate the glamor days of Hollywood. That hat kills the whole vibe. Furthermore, it serves no purpose other then being a Pin shop. If they moved the hat somewhere else, I probably wouldn't have as much of a problem with it.

That is like saying, I see all of these old American style buildings walking down Main Street U.S.A then :mk: I see a giant castle! For me the hat really makes me feel like I am really in the Disney Studios. Apples and Oranges, Yeti. :lol: Main Street is based off of Walt's hometown, but imagineeered to give it that Disney flair. Main Street is "the credits" of the Magic Kingdom. I always viewed it as sort of a metaphor. Main St (Walt's childhood) staring right at his destiny/dreams (the castle).

Scarletwebslingr
05-27-2009, 08:59 PM
I was satisfied with the water tower. To me the Hat looks just as gaudy and awkwardly placed as the wand did over Spaceship Earth.

YETI PINTRADER
05-27-2009, 10:47 PM
The problem with the water tower is that you can not see it from many places in the park. Not much of an icon if you can only see it from the road.

Scarletwebslingr
05-28-2009, 12:23 AM
The problem with the water tower is that you can not see it from many places in the park. Not much of an icon if you can only see it from the road.

You can't see the Hat from everywhere in the park either. You can't see it from the TT/RnR area, Star Wars, Pixar, Muppets, or Streets of America. They should have just centered the water tower since it's been empty forever anyways. The Hat is such an eye sore.

snoman
05-28-2009, 11:20 AM
My question though is in this economy why does it make any sense to take down or to move the hat unless you have something big planned for that area? Taking down or moving the hat will have no impact on guest admissions. Yes, there are purists that may go to the park more often but the overall impact of taking it down or moving it would be far more expensive than a couple turnstile turns.

So I would either have to chalk this up to rumor or exciting news of something bigger and better to come.

kirby_is_kyaan
05-28-2009, 11:51 AM
So I would either have to chalk this up to rumor or exciting news of something bigger and better to come.

Those are my hopes. I don't hate the hat all that much, but it would be nice for it to come down (and for the Great Movie Ride to be refurbbed, too), and if I could travel back in time, kill Bob Iger, and take his place :lol:, and were given the choice of one or the other, I would rather keep the wand (which didn't affect me much, it was just... there) and get rid of the hat. I think that the way the Studios are suddenly being treated as the center of Disney World will hopefully end up with the park being THE Disney park with all the amazing attractions, as opposed to the way it has always been for me-an extremely crowded half-day park with few things of high interest but still worth adding the $25 for a Florida Resident to park-hop. Several people have mentioned adding a DCA's Aladdin-style show somewhere, which I am all for. Combine this with the completion of Pixar Place into a full-blown land, and maybe they can all add up enough allure to compete with HTR. I can dream, right?

Scarletwebslingr
05-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Those are my hopes. I don't hate the hat all that much, but it would be nice for it to come down (and for the Great Movie Ride to be refurbbed, too), and if I could travel back in time, kill Bob Iger, and take his place :lol:, and were given the choice of one or the other, I would rather keep the wand (which didn't affect me much, it was just... there) and get rid of the hat. I think that the way the Studios are suddenly being treated as the center of Disney World will hopefully end up with the park being THE Disney park with all the amazing attractions, as opposed to the way it has always been for me-an extremely crowded half-day park with few things of high interest but still worth adding the $25 for a Florida Resident to park-hop. Several people have mentioned adding a DCA's Aladdin-style show somewhere, which I am all for. Combine this with the completion of Pixar Place into a full-blown land, and maybe they can all add up enough allure to compete with HTR. I can dream, right?

Where the hat is there isn't enough room for anything grand. An area that small might work for a permanent HSM stage but that isn't really necessary. I agree GMR needs a refub. It's basically the "Great White Movie Ride." Add films like Malcolm X. Keep the opening to the gangster film area but scrap the show/hijack scene and replace it with a pirates theme. Something called the Great Movie Ride should be a continual work in progress considering the "classics" update all the time.

YETI PINTRADER
05-28-2009, 04:39 PM
You can't see the Hat from everywhere in the park either. You can't see it from the TT/RnR area, Star Wars, Pixar, Muppets, or Streets of America. They should have just centered the water tower since it's been empty forever anyways. The Hat is such an eye sore.

But you can see the hat from the park enterance. That is where it is important.

SpyderDan
05-28-2009, 05:57 PM
I always liked the water tower being the icon. But I guess it's out of date now. The signature ride of the park was the backlot tour where the tower could be seen but I guess they've both run their courses.

Scarletwebslingr
05-28-2009, 06:40 PM
But you can see the hat from the park enterance. That is where it is important.

Which is why I said the should simply relocate the water tower. It'd be one thing if the Hat has a purpose, but it's a glorified pin cart. Just move the tower and get rid of that tacky useless hat. Simple as that.

SpyderDan
05-28-2009, 09:13 PM
The reason the tower can't logically be moved to another location is because it wouldn't make sense to be anywhere else. Water towers are always on backlots. It's like the famous WB water tower in their backlot in Hollywood. You can't put the DHS tower in front of the Great Movie Ride or something like that.

Scarletwebslingr
05-28-2009, 09:24 PM
The reason the tower can't logically be moved to another location is because it wouldn't make sense to be anywhere else. Water towers are always on backlots. It's like the famous WB water tower in their backlot in Hollywood. You can't put the DHS tower in front of the Great Movie Ride or something like that.

Right because, while water towers remain traditionally in backlots, giant gaudy pointless hats are the logical choice to place in the center of DHS entirely blocking the guest's view of the Chinese Theater as they enter. Give me a break. The Hat is like an eyebooger: useless, gross, and an eye pain. Personally, I don't like eye boogers. The Hat needs to go.

YETI PINTRADER
05-28-2009, 09:40 PM
I would hate to see the theater become the icon because I do not think that it is not really related to Disney. It is also not original like the castle, EPCOT Ball, and Tree of Life. If anything they should change the theater to something like DCA where the theater has great significance to Walt Disney.

Scarletwebslingr
05-28-2009, 09:54 PM
I would hate to see the theater become the icon because I do not think that it is not really related to Disney. It is also not original like the castle, EPCOT Ball, and Tree of Life. If anything they should change the theater to something like DCA where the theater has great significance to Walt Disney.

If anything I think the theater is more appropriate an icon now with the name-switch HOLLYWOOD Studios than it ever has been, but I too would rather not have the theater. But look at the Parks and their icons: Magic Kingdom has a castle, Animal Kingdom has the Tree of Life, Epcot has Spaceship Earth, and DHS has a... big ugly hat? The rest of the icons make sense when paired with their respective parks. DHS has no correlation with it's icon at all and I've had a problem with that from day one. It only makes things worse that DHS has the only icon not housing anything significant. Who needs a ride, show, or upscale restaurant when you can trade pins?

YETI PINTRADER
05-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Didn't the hat start as some kind of kiosk for a bunch of computerized triva games about the history of Disney?

some random guy
05-28-2009, 10:33 PM
Didn't the hat start as some kind of kiosk for a bunch of computerized triva games about the history of Disney?
i think it was i think the hat was put in 2000 when the wand was up at EPCOT.

as for everything else webslinger did bring a good point about the name change with the hat. the hat doesn't fit with the name of the park now IF the great movie ride wasn't there then the hat could have that spot but that will never ever happen. the theater is the best icon and it fit the hollywood theme. i like yeti's idea about the theater that they are doing at DCA but it can't go in that area. i say just give great movie ride major rehab and that will do just fit fine. but since it is suppose to be a studio they could
A. somehow make the tower somehow to stand more but not an eyesore.
B. get the tower involved with park have concerts and etc over there

Sledge
05-28-2009, 10:55 PM
I think we can all agree that the hat was a marketing decision over anything else, right?

Now here's something to think about. If the hat WERE to leave, could there be possible changes to the Chinese Theatre? Disney doesn't own the rights to the Chinese Theatre outside of whatever agreement they have that allows the current building to be there. Apparently, PhotoPass is not allowed to take pictures of guests in front of the Chinese Theatre and sell them.

So some food for thought, if the Sorceror's Hat were to leave, would Disney possibly redesign the theatre which would allow them to market it as the new icon of the park? Imagine a beautiful and elaborate exterior for the theatre.

The Great Movie Ride was originally built as the Featured Presentation and Main Event of Disney-MGM Studios and it's only a matter of time before it receives its overhaul. Imagine when it goes down for rehab they turn the Theatre into their own original design. I picture it as elegant as the Chinese Theatre, but something totally original that they could own the full rights to and do with it what they would like. Chinese Theatre or make believe theatre, I think they could/should work to make the outside of the feel like a premiere party. How hard would it be to roll out a red carpet when weather permits?

If the hat were to be removed, would you want to look down the road and see the Chinese Theatre, or would a similar but more elaborate, original theatre work just as well?

SpyderDan
05-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Right because, while water towers remain traditionally in backlots, giant gaudy pointless hats are the logical choice to place in the center of DHS entirely blocking the guest's view of the Chinese Theater as they enter. Give me a break. The Hat is like an eyebooger: useless, gross, and an eye pain. Personally, I don't like eye boogers. The Hat needs to go.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying the hat isn't a poor icon for the park. I'm just explaining why you can't move the water tower to a different spot so that it's a suitable icon.

Back to the original topic, does anyone know if there's any truth to this rumor? Like, what did the Imagineers say exactly to suggest that the hat's coming down?

Sledge
05-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Back to the original topic, does anyone know if there's any truth to this rumor? Like, what did the Imagineers say exactly to suggest that the hat's coming down?
A lot of it was simply how they acted whenever the Hat was shown. For example, they were showing the slides and something like this happened...

"This was actually an idea that we had from... blah blah blah. Details. Details. Details."
*Next slide*
"Ah yes, this is the concept art for.... blah blah blah. Detail. Details. Details."
*Next slide, repeat all of the above.*
**THEN, slide of the Hat come on the screen.**
"Next."

Apparently they were talking about all the neat concept art, but when the slide came on the Imagineers laughed and quickly moved to the next slide. Also, when showing the original look and Chinese Theatre they said it is a view they hope to see again soon.

SpyderDan
05-28-2009, 11:39 PM
A lot of it was simply how they acted whenever the Hat was shown. For example, they were showing the slides and something like this happened...

"This was actually an idea that we had from... blah blah blah. Details. Details. Details."
*Next slide*
"Ah yes, this is the concept art for.... blah blah blah. Detail. Details. Details."
*Next slide, repeat all of the above.*
**THEN, slide of the Hat come on the screen.**
"Next."

Apparently they were talking about all the neat concept art, but when the slide came on the Imagineers laughed and quickly moved to the next slide. Also, when showing the original look and Chinese Theatre they said it is a view they hope to see again soon.

Oh okay, so they actually said they hoped to see it again soon. I hope they weren't just getting everyone's hopes up.

BigAl_PT
05-29-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm definitely a Disney purist, but even I don't hate the hat. It's more so I hate the location.
I totally agree. Had the hat been the original weenie in the park, people would be up in arms if it was blocked by something else. Personally, I don't care for the placement of the hat, but the hat itself is cool. As I've said before, stick it on top of one of the soundstage buildings. You'll be able to see it all over the park and outside of the park.

wdwbiged
12-07-2009, 02:19 AM
RIP IT DOWN!!!! lol its almost as bad a the darn wand they had on the epcot ball I think the park will look better without it

YETI PINTRADER
12-09-2009, 09:48 PM
The hat seems more Disney than the theater. The Chinese theater is the generic Hollywood icon. The hat is the magic of Disney movies.

TheDecemberists
12-09-2009, 09:58 PM
I dislike the hat.

It would look better as a top hat, any ways...

Roll N Fear
12-10-2009, 12:26 AM
The hat seems more Disney than the theater. The Chinese theater is the generic Hollywood icon. The hat is the magic of Disney movies.

I agree.

I think that the reason why most people dislike it is simply because of the placement. It's like the hat and the theater are trying to one up each other and it's just tacky.

BriMan
12-10-2009, 12:37 AM
I agree.

I think that the reason why most people dislike it is simply because of the placement. It's like the hat and the theater are trying to one up each other and it's just tacky.

Exactly what I was thinking. Right icon, wrong place. It also doesn't help that it's a glorified pin stand.

DisneyFanKevin
12-10-2009, 12:43 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. Right icon, wrong place. It also doesn't help that it's a glorified pin stand.

I think they should relocate the hat to the main entrance and use it as a Bag Check location. :lol:

Disneyhead
12-10-2009, 12:46 AM
I think they should relocate the hat to the center of the Animation Courtyard between The Little Mermaid show and Playhouse Disney.

DisneyFanKevin
12-10-2009, 01:40 AM
I think they should relocate the hat to the center of the Animation Courtyard between The Little Mermaid show and Playhouse Disney.

That would work, seeing as how that area has little to no shade at all! :lol:

YETI PINTRADER
12-10-2009, 05:05 PM

They should really think of changing it back to the Disney history trivia games that they had when the hat was first put up.

loribelle
12-10-2009, 07:21 PM
I have nothing brilliant to say, but just wanted to add that I am quite a fan of the hat! So what if it doesn't serve a purpose, it's pretty. :) :)

DisneyFanKevin
12-11-2009, 04:01 AM
I have nothing brilliant to say, but just wanted to add that I am quite a fan of the hat! So what if it doesn't serve a purpose, it's pretty. :) :)

Oh, I agree that it is pretty, Lori, but I just miss the old view of the Chinese Theatre! I so want that back. :lol:

snoman
12-11-2009, 11:29 AM
I also have no issue with the hat. It would be nice if they did something underneath it other than another flippin gift shop. What that could be I have no idea.

jmercer25
12-11-2009, 12:03 PM
To me, the Hat is a great icon for the park. The Earfull Tower wasn't doing it for me. And as the park's icon, it needs to be really tall, front and center. Every other WDW icon is really tall, front and center. It's what ties everything together. Without the Hat, Hollywood Boulevard just looks like another one of the Streets of America. Then again, I can't exactly consider myself a Disney purist.

Disneyhead
12-11-2009, 12:05 PM
I simply prefer this view:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/wdwupdate/112200d.jpg

To this view:

http://www.burnsland.com/photos/wdw043/wdw043_07.jpg

Since the Hollywood Blvd. area was supposed to represent the "Main Street" portion of the pak I just think that the Chinese theater is a classeir stand-in for Cinderrel's Castle than the BUH (Big Ugly Hat). It is just such a pretty building.

http://www.bigbrian-nc.com/0100cont/71112-800.jpg

It's like if they put a 14 story tall Mickey Glove where the partners Statue is.

Splatter
12-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Disneyhead just summed it all up right there. The hat really seems so temporary or parade float like.

DisneyFanKevin
12-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Disneyhead just summed it all up right there. The hat really seems so temporary or parade float like.

Oh I agree, but how long has it been up for? 2001? Yeah, for some reason it doesn't scream temporary to me anymore. :lol:

Splatter
12-12-2009, 12:45 AM
Oh I agree, but how long has it been up for? 2001? Yeah, for some reason it doesn't scream temporary to me anymore. :lol:

Ha. Exactly. That is the problem. It looks temporary(because it was supposed to be like the Wand and signage that haunted Spaceship Earth for years) It is time for this to do the same.

A dream would be to tear down the hat and as they are doing this give The Great Movie ride a nice refurbishment.

YETI PINTRADER
12-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Ha. Exactly. That is the problem. It looks temporary(because it was supposed to be like the Wand and signage that haunted Spaceship Earth for years) It is time for this to do the same.

A dream would be to tear down the hat and as they are doing this give The Great Movie ride a nice refurbishment.

Yes, The Great Movie ride NEEDS to be refurbished. Most people don't even know a lot of the movies featured. Something needs to be done with it.

Drew
12-12-2009, 12:51 AM
Yes, The Great Movie ride NEEDS to be refurbished. Most people don't even know a lot of the movies featured. Something needs to be done with it.

Not to mention some of the animatronics are just crazy old. I was on the side of the car close to Sigourney Weaver in Alien over the summer and it was hilariously bad. It would be pretty awesome to see the ride get a makeover and put in some more recognizable movies in there from the past 20 years or so.

DisneyFanKevin
12-12-2009, 01:09 AM
Not to mention some of the animatronics are just crazy old. I was on the side of the car close to Sigourney Weaver in Alien over the summer and it was hilariously bad. It would be pretty awesome to see the ride get a makeover and put in some more recognizable movies in there from the past 20 years or so.

I'm with you on that. How about some other Disney movies??? :D

TombraiderTy
12-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Would adding a Pirates of the Caribbean scene make sense... you know, saying the Pirates of the Caribbean ride is so close-by? :P

Splatter
12-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Would adding a Pirates of the Caribbean scene make sense... you know, saying the Pirates of the Caribbean ride is so close-by? :P

Ha. Since they already dated the original attraction with the characters from the films put in...no.

DisneyFanKevin
12-13-2009, 02:19 PM
I think scenes from like Pinocchio, The Black Cauldron, and Pete's Dragon would work in there since they would actually be represented in an attraction. :D

SpyderDan
12-13-2009, 03:42 PM
You put in anything made from the past 20 years and you might as well rename the attraction to "The Crappy Movie Ride."

Splatter
12-13-2009, 05:07 PM
You put in anything made from the past 20 years and you might as well rename the attraction to "The Crappy Movie Ride."

Totally agree not to mention it would become dated more than twice as fast. The classic movie era and the golden age of hollywood works perfectly for the Great Movie Ride. The effects and upkeep is what needs to be fine tuned and updated, not the classics representing great generes.

hairyleo
12-13-2009, 07:17 PM
i swear, if they put in pixar...

BriMan
12-13-2009, 07:59 PM
I remember there was a rumor that the Muppets would be included in the ride, and that they would basically replace the actors in all the scenes you see now.

Splatter
12-13-2009, 10:32 PM
I remember there was a rumor that the Muppets would be included in the ride, and that they would basically replace the actors in all the scenes you see now.

haha. That would be just a bit too werid and too much to fill the entire rides with Muppets Replacing the characters of these classics.

What it sure does sound like was the original planning for The Great Muppets Movie Ride where Jim Hansen himself even talked about it being a dark ride based on more movie making than going into the experiences. You would have scenes and departments of muppets explaining different aspects of the movie making process "with advice that no one should take." Sounded like a cute concept. Mind you this was the resort going into the 90s where Disney also officially announced that an EPCOT version of the Matterhorn was coming to a new Swizz Pavilion in the world showcase among many other things that did not happen.

DisneyFanKevin
12-14-2009, 02:15 AM
haha. That would be just a bit too werid and too much to fill the entire rides with Muppets Replacing the characters of these classics.

What it sure does sound like was the original planning for The Great Muppets Movie Ride where Jim Hansen himself even talked about it being a dark ride based on more movie making than going into the experiences. You would have scenes and departments of muppets explaining different aspects of the movie making process "with advice that no one should take." Sounded like a cute concept. Mind you this was the resort going into the 90s where Disney also officially announced that an EPCOT version of the Matterhorn was coming to a new Swizz Pavilion in the world showcase among many other things that did not happen.

I would personally love to see them do The Great Muppet Movie Ride. I think it would be an amazing alternative to GMR if one gets bored of it. I don't think it's possible to get bored of GMR, though.

YETI PINTRADER
12-14-2009, 09:47 PM
I would personally love to see them do The Great Muppet Movie Ride. I think it would be an amazing alternative to GMR if one gets bored of it. I don't think it's possible to get bored of GMR, though.

It is possible because I have become bored with Great Movie Ride. That is why it needs some new additions.

DisneyFanKevin
12-14-2009, 10:00 PM
It is possible because I have become bored with Great Movie Ride. That is why it needs some new additions.

To each his own. I still enjoy riding the attraction and seeing the scenes from some of my favorite movies like The Wizard of Oz and Fantasia. :D

SpyderDan
12-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I mean, I don't see what kind of additions you're going to make to this ride without it becoming incredibly contrived and awful. There is absolutely no movie that has been made recently that deserves to have a scene added to the ride. Go ahead, try and name something.

Disneyhead
12-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Lord Of The Rings: Return of the King

The Dark Knight

Titanic

Gladiator

Napolean Dynamite.....OK just joking with that one.

rewster
12-20-2009, 07:22 PM
I definitely don't think the ride should ever venture from representing the Golden Age of Hollywood. There are plenty of attractions based on recent and new releases. It's refreshing to actually slow down and listen to some great dialogue from Casablanca as opposed to EXPLOSIONS and one-liner soundbites.

In fact, if anything I would like the ride to incorporate even more old-school Hollywood scenes. I think a ride-through history of film - beginning with the silent era like Chaplin; into "talkies" starting with the Jazz Singer; into screwball comedies and musicals of the 30's/40's; through the film noir era of Sunset Blvd., Double Indemnity and the Bogart films like Maltese Falcon, Treasure of the Sierra Madre; through the classic early days of fast-talking, dialogue-heavy stories; into the expansion of color and epic screen-scape Westerns brought on by the competition of the home television boom; through the revolution of Method acting with young Marlon Brando and James Dean; a glimpse of the grittier adult dramas like the Godfathers and Chinatown of the 70's; and end the ride beginning with Raiders to represent the modern blockbuster age......... That's along the lines I would personally like to see. Give the kids a timelined history of film before they go back to their Transformers blurays....... I'll be sad if this ride ventures from the classics.

SpyderDan
12-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Lord Of The Rings: Return of the King

The Dark Knight

Titanic

Gladiator

Napolean Dynamite.....OK just joking with that one.

Dark Knight's not gonna go in because of rights-issues and as much as I love it, I don't know if it's on par with what's in the ride right now.

LOTR is old news.

And Titanic and Gladiator are way overrated.

I definitely don't think the ride should ever venture from representing the Golden Age of Hollywood. There are plenty of attractions based on recent and new releases. It's refreshing to actually slow down and listen to some great dialogue from Casablanca as opposed to EXPLOSIONS and one-liner soundbites.

In fact, if anything I would like the ride to incorporate even more old-school Hollywood scenes. I think a ride-through history of film - beginning with the silent era like Chaplin; into "talkies" starting with the Jazz Singer; into screwball comedies and musicals of the 30's/40's; through the film noir era of Sunset Blvd., Double Indemnity and the Bogart films like Maltese Falcon, Treasure of the Sierra Madre; through the classic early days of fast-talking, dialogue-heavy stories; into the expansion of color and epic screen-scape Westerns brought on by the competition of the home television boom; through the revolution of Method acting with young Marlon Brando and James Dean; a glimpse of the grittier adult dramas like the Godfathers and Chinatown of the 70's; and end the ride beginning with Raiders to represent the modern blockbuster age......... That's along the lines I would personally like to see. Give the kids a timelined history of film before they go back to their Transformers blurays....... I'll be sad if this ride ventures from the classics.

Agreed 100%.

Splatter
12-20-2009, 10:24 PM
I think Rewster nailed it. The ride already contains the classics of each genere we have seen repeated time and time again. Most scenes with a few exceptions of Indy, Tarzen and Aliens are sort of a mash up of different movies. What I mean is more like The Gangster scene and the western scene are both compiled of many classics of that genere. The scenes represent a history through the most popular themes in hollywood and references films that have done them best. The spirit of the 40s is strongly all over that attraction and that feel is important to Disney's Hollywood studios.

The ride needs touch ups and plussing of the experience through effects people come to expect and beyond that. Not the scenes represented.

TheDecemberists
12-21-2009, 01:59 AM
I wouldn't mind Titanic... that's about it, though I'm not sure how they'd pull that off...

Eckert
06-09-2011, 03:16 PM
This thread shall rise from the dead!

I wouldn't mind Titanic... that's about it, though I'm not sure how they'd pull that off...

Pretty simple. The bow of the Titanic with Jack and Rose.

jtsalien
06-09-2011, 03:21 PM
As annoying as the hat is, there are many other problems with the park. I'd rather see money spent on boasting the park's offering rather than removing the hat.

Mike554
06-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Same. I mean the only thing is please extend the Alien part it is way to short.

JungleSkip
06-09-2011, 03:59 PM
As annoying as the hat is, there are many other problems with the park. I'd rather see money spent on boasting the park's offering rather than removing the hat.

I don't agree. The Hat is one of the main problems of the park.

Besides, demo doesn't take that much money.:thumbs:

jtsalien
06-09-2011, 04:21 PM
I don't agree. The Hat is one of the main problems of the park.

Besides, demo doesn't take that much money.:thumbs:

Eh. I wouldn't mind if it got torn down. As long as the next project was making the Chinese Theater and the GMR great again

JEANYLASER
06-09-2011, 05:36 PM
I wanted to rid the Hat because when it's raining the steps will get wet!

batsmouth
06-09-2011, 06:04 PM
The parks center icon is the Chinese theater, not the BUH.

Here is what it looked like prior to adding the hat.

http://www.yesterland.com/removehat.html
I have to say the Chinese theatre looks a lot better than the hat, please remove it!

Vyrus
06-09-2011, 06:47 PM
I love the Chinese theater, the hat is cool in its own right especially if you look at it the way Disney was looking at it, trying to make the park more Disneyish, but the hat should go, and original icon should be restored.

Thor
06-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Move the hat to the entrance of the park, outside the gates of DHS.

jtsalien
06-09-2011, 08:03 PM
I love the Chinese theater, the hat is cool in its own right especially if you look at it the way Disney was looking at it, trying to make the park more Disneyish, but the hat should go, and original icon should be restored.

I think the hat does get a little too much hate. It salutes a huge piece of Disney movie magic.

Vyrus
06-09-2011, 08:17 PM
I think the hat does get a little too much hate. It salutes a huge piece of Disney movie magic.

Very true, Fantasia was a huge milestone both in Disney and filmmaking history, and that is what the hat is saluting probably. You just swayed me on the hat :lol: I think it should stay.

Jubilation Lee
06-09-2011, 08:28 PM
I love the Chinese theater, the hat is cool in its own right especially if you look at it the way Disney was looking at it, trying to make the park more Disneyish

The park was already Disney enough before the hat. The idea of the WDC is that it's supposed to be the power of imagination itself. The way the Hollywood Boulevard was designed originally was brilliant. Like the idea of the park is supposed to be, we are being taken into the Golden Age of Hollywood and overall the Hollywood that never was, but always will be in our minds. Seeing a huge cartoonish hat popping up out of nowhere right in front of the Chinese Theater not only kills the illusion itself, but also makes feels less imaginative and overall less Disney.

Another problem with the hat is that it simply salutes Disney too much. The park is supposed to be a tribute to the old Hollywood and old Disney that inspired the entertainment industry as we see today. Having the hat at the center of the park simply creates an over-emphasis on Disney, IMO.

jtsalien
06-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Another problem with the hat is that it simply salutes Disney too much. The park is supposed to be a tribute to the old Hollywood and old Disney that inspired the entertainment industry as we see today. Having the hat at the center of the park simply creates an over-emphasis on Disney, IMO.

I personally don't believe a park can be "too" Disney. The hat changes none of the brilliance of the parks entrance. It still is a representation of old Hollywood. The hat at the end doesn't change the experience in the street. Sure, if you stare at it, you will lose sight of where you are, but that's not the point. DHS isn't a picture perfect studio anymore. It's turning into a Disney park. And IMHO, Disney's Hollywood Studios could use a little more Disney.

Mike554
06-09-2011, 09:16 PM
I miss MGM studios..........

Jubilation Lee
06-09-2011, 09:33 PM
I personally don't believe a park can be "too" Disney. The hat changes none of the brilliance of the parks entrance. It still is a representation of old Hollywood. The hat at the end doesn't change the experience in the street. Sure, if you stare at it, you will lose sight of where you are, but that's not the point. DHS isn't a picture perfect studio anymore. It's turning into a Disney park. And IMHO, Disney's Hollywood Studios could use a little more Disney.

The Hollywood Boulevard was never meant to be a part of the studio area (unless I'm reading you wrong). It's supposed to be like stepping into the real thing. If you can find a Golden Age Hollywood street that has a huge cartoon hat at the end of it, I will get you a meowing dog.

The thing is also that the Chinese Theater symbolizes the Hollywood Golden Age and movies overall much better than the hat ever will. The Earful Tower made much more sense as an icon because it represented the combo of Hollywood and Disney by having mouse ears on a studio water tower.

On top of that, with TOT anchoring the Sunset Boulevard area, it makes sense for the Chinese Theater to anchor the Hollywood Boulevard area as well. The cartoonish look of the hat throws off all of the realistic feel of the Hollywood Boulevard. It's essentially the equivalent of putting giant Mickey shoes in front of Cinderella's Castle, putting giant red Mickey pants on the Tree of Life, and putting a giant wand on Spaceship Earth. (which unfortunately happened and remained for about seven years)

Making the park focus more on Disney's works only plunges it more into the theme schizophrenia its had since the actual production was removed.

jtsalien
06-09-2011, 09:36 PM
The Hollywood Boulevard was never meant to be a part of the studio area (unless I'm reading you wrong). It's supposed to be like stepping into the real thing. If you can find a Golden Age Hollywood street that has a huge cartoon hat at the end of it, I will get you a meowing dog.

The thing is also that the Chinese Theater symbolizes the Hollywood Golden Age and movies overall much better than the hat ever will. The Earful Tower made much more sense as an icon because it represented the combo of Hollywood and Disney by having mouse ears on a studio water tower.

On top of that, with TOT anchoring the Sunset Boulevard area, it makes sense for the Chinese Theater to anchor the Hollywood Boulevard area as well. The cartoonish look of the hat throws off all of the realistic feel of the Hollywood Boulevard. It's essentially the equivalent of putting giant Mickey shoes in front of Cinderella's Castle, putting giant red Mickey pants on the Tree of Life, and putting a giant wand on Spaceship Earth. (which unfortunately happened and remained for about seven years)

Making the park focus more on Disney's works only plunges it more into the theme schizophrenia its had since the actual production was removed.

It's a Disney theme park. Not a museum. There is only so many things that can be done to make it seem real. And they don't own the Chinese Theater. So why would they want to have a park icon that they don't own?

Mike554
06-09-2011, 09:52 PM
They don't own castles either.

jtsalien
06-09-2011, 10:04 PM

Yes. And they don't own trees either. And they don't own geodesic spheres. But none of those are owned and operated by non-Disney companies.

Jubilation Lee
06-09-2011, 10:04 PM
It's a Disney theme park. Not a museum. There is only so many things that can be done to make it seem real.

I'm aware of that. But that doesn't justify how they turned a once realistic and magical-feeling street into a tacky and confused mess. (IMO)

And they don't own the Chinese Theater. So why would they want to have a park icon that they don't own?

I was saying that the Earful Tower needs to be the icon again and I described why it works better than the Hat. The Chinese Theater is merely a secondary icon.

jtsalien
06-09-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm aware of that. But that doesn't justify how they turned a once realistic and magical-feeling street into a tacky and confused mess.

Tacky and confused is a bit harsh. I still find the theme on average better than most areas of Universal Studios. No it's not perfect. But tacky is way too harsh.

I was saying that the Earful Tower needs to be the icon again and I described why it works better than the Hat. The Chinese Theater is merely a secondary icon.

The problem is the Earful Tower isn't always visible. It isn't in a prominent place in the park. Disney wants you to know you're in a Disney park as soon as you pass through the gates. And in order to follow the hub and spoke model, your weenie is smack dab in the center of the park.

Eckert
06-09-2011, 10:10 PM

:doh:

The Chinese Theater is a real place that existed before Hollywood Studios was made and Disney does not own it because they did not create it. Cinderella Castle, as convincing as it may look, was not a real castle. Disney created it for the Magic Kingdom, therefore they own that "castle".

Mike554
06-09-2011, 10:12 PM
I know that just saying you can make a castle anyway you want its still a castle.

jtsalien
06-09-2011, 10:14 PM
I know that just saying you can make a castle anyway you want its still a castle.

I don't know what point you're trying to make. They can make it anyway they want, but Disney still won't own the rights to the Chinese Theater.

Mike554
06-09-2011, 10:26 PM
I don't know what point you're trying to make. They can make it anyway they want, but Disney still won't own the rights to the Chinese Theater.

This is disney they could own anything if they really want too they bought one of the biggest Comic Book companies of all time if they can buy that they can buy anything.

jtsalien
06-09-2011, 10:30 PM
This is disney they could own anything if they really want too they bought one of the biggest Comic Book companies of all time if they can buy that they can buy anything.

That's exactly how you run a company into the ground. You can't just buy up everything. Marvel wasn't what it used to be either. That's why it was for sale. Not everything has a price tag. And Disney doesn't have a mountain of money to play with. If they can use their own talent and properties they will.

Mike554
06-09-2011, 10:33 PM
That's exactly how you run a company into the ground. You can't just buy up everything. Marvel wasn't what it used to be either. That's why it was for sale. Not everything has a price tag. And Disney doesn't have a mountain of money to play with. If they can use their own talent and properties they will.

Nope Marvel's bigger but Quesada has ruined iot in many ways but still just hsowing an example the company which owns a small tourist attraction is not going to be that expensive.

InProduction23
06-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Nope Marvel's bigger but Quesada has ruined iot in many ways but still just hsowing an example the company which owns a small tourist attraction is not going to be that expensive.

If I remember correctly, it's the architect's plans for the building which were subject to the copyright/no-more-theater issue with DHS, not the company that owns the Grauman's Chinese Theater...

Jubilation Lee
06-09-2011, 10:54 PM
The problem is the Earful Tower isn't always visible. It isn't in a prominent place in the park. Disney wants you to know you're in a Disney park as soon as you pass through the gates. And in order to follow the hub and spoke model, your weenie is smack dab in the center of the park.

The Chinese Theater was the weenie. It wasn't the icon of the entire park but it was the weenie you describe nonetheless. Both it and the Earful Tower described the two sections of the park. Chinese Theater was the basic icon of the Hollywood area, and the Earful Tower was the basic icon of the Studios. It may not have been in perfect sight, but that's simply the way the Imagineers designed it. Also, to add to that, Spaceship Earth is at the entrance to EPCOT Center, not in the center.

Plus, how does the hat represent the Golden Age of Disney and Hollywood other then being something that has Imagination and Magic associated with it?

Each of the four parks' icons have the meaning of each right on them.

Cinderella's Castle represents the timeless dreams we experience as humans, and timelessness is a theme that is all throughout the park (Fantasy, Past, Future, and Adventure are all timeless themes). The castle also represents how those dreams come true.

Spaceship Earth is a futuristic looking Earth, combining both themes of Future World and World Showcase. It also an homage to the centerpieces of the 1967 Montreal Expo and the 1939 New York World's Fair, and EPCOT Center itself, is supposed to be a "permanent World's Fair".

The Tree of Life represents a ton of things. It symbolizes how trees are the towers of life, and it also references the "world tree". On top of that, it also serves as an image from the Lion King.

The Hat just doesn't tell the story of DHS/MGM and it's Golden Hollywood themes as well as the Chinese Theater and the Earful Tower did.

Also to add, The Sorcerer's Hat doesn't hold anything special inside of it like the other icons do. Cinderella's Castle has a mural, a restaurant, and several unique shops. (and also the Dream Suite, but I'm not sure if they are using it for anything anymore). Spaceship Earth has, well, the Spaceship Earth attraction which does a great job at capturing the growth of humans, bringing the Future World and World Showcase together as one. The Tree of Life has it's tough to be a bug. (Although I admittingy would have preferred if they had a nature based show in there as originally planned, Eisner put ITTBAB in there just so it could market and advertise the movie, which at the time, had not been released yet). All the Sorcerer's Hat has is a pin shop. The Chinese Theater has the Great Movie Ride which perfectly captures the magic of movies. The Earful Tower has the Backlot Tour going around it, which used to be the heart of the Studios section of the park. (I admit this isn't a really important criticism, just something I wanted to bring up)

As for the tacky argument, I guess it's just the matter of opinion. That's just how I honestly feel about it.

jtsalien
06-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Plus, how does the hat represent the Golden Age of Disney and Hollywood other then being something that has Imagination and Magic associated with it?

That is exactly what the park it about. The magic and imagination of Hollywood. It's not like Universal, where you are supposed to see how the movies are made, or ride them. DHS is about the magic movies have and how they spark our imagination. The hat is a perfect representation of that magic. This isn't the Disney MGM Studios anymore. Its the Disney Hollywood Studios. The park is different. The icon is different. And the spirit is different.

Also, Epcot doesn't follow the hub and spoke model. But DHS is very close. So it makes sense for the Hat to be considered the icon.

Mike554
06-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Neither is Universal. Universal is supposed to make you feel like your in the movie.

jtsalien
06-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Neither is Universal. Universal is supposed to make you feel like your in the movie.

Horror Make Up. Hitchcock. HRRR. Disaster. Murder She Wrote. Former Tram Tour. Nick Studios.

Rock'nRoller
06-09-2011, 11:27 PM
I thought I would share a little rant from a blog site about this same subject:

http://www.discoyeti.com/node/24

Now I question retheming the whole park, but I agree with the hat being removed.

Mike554
06-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Horror Make Up. Hitchcock. HRRR. Disaster. Murder She Wrote. Former Tram Tour. Nick Studios.

HMU-Ok you got me there but it isn't every ride
Hitchcock-Closed down doesn't count
HRRR-Nah more like a badly themed rollar coaster
Diaster-Same but minor ride and more of them take you in to the movies than explain to you how they are made
MSW-Closed down
Tram Tour-Closed Down
Nick Studios-So i guess Family Feud counts as well.*sarcasm*

Jubilation Lee
06-09-2011, 11:55 PM
That is exactly what the park it about. The magic and imagination of Hollywood. It's not like Universal, where you are supposed to see how the movies are made, or ride them. DHS is about the magic movies have and how they spark our imagination. The hat is a perfect representation of that magic.

Of course that is one of the things the park is about.

But the Sorcerer's Hat fails to capture that in its entirety.

What does the Sorcerer's Hat make you think of? First thing that comes to mind for me is Disney's works and Fantasia.

But I so do not think of things like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Gone with the Wind, Alien, Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz, King Kong, or any other kind of non-Disney Hollywood classic when I see it.

As I have stated several times before, The Sorcerer's Hat puts a ridiculous amount of emphasis on Disney, which throws the entire park off balance. I should have rephrased/emphasized this before, but BOTH Chinese Theater and the Earful Tower were the icons simultaneously. The Earful Tower was just the one they used for marketing (Although the Chinese Theater was used in some advertising). The Chinese Theater and the Great Movie Ride symbolized the magic and imagination of EVERYTHING Hollywood. The Earful Tower symbolized the magic behind the works of Disney and the rest of Hollywood.

The park is a tribute to BOTH Disney and Hollywood, and the things that made them great. Here is the dedication to the park:

The World you have entered was created by The Walt Disney Company and is dedicated to Hollywood—not a place on a map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine, a place where illusion and reality are fused by technological magic. We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was—and always will be.

-Michael Eisner, May 1, 1989

The park was NEVER intended to emphasis Disney as they do now. The Sorcerer's Hat does just that.

And saying the park isn't about production is way off base. (Unless again, I'm reading you wrong) I actually regret not bringing this up earlier, but one of the things MGM/DHS was built upon was that it was a tribute to the golden Hollywood, yet at the same time, a "dream factory" where the public could not only learn the magic behind Hollywood movies, but learn the secrets behind Disney's creative process up and close. At the end of the day, the guests would find themselves in better appreciation and understanding of movies that made the entertainment industry as great as it is. The removal of the actual production has proved to be disastrous towards the park's overall theme.

This isn't the Disney MGM Studios anymore. Its the Disney Hollywood Studios. The park is different. The icon is different. And the spirit is different.

As I stated earlier, the park is in theme schizophrenia. The Great Movie Ride still well symbolizes the old theme and intent of the park. TOT symbolizes Hollywood's golden age very well without putting an emphasis on Disney, as do Muppets, and other select areas of the park. The rest of the park has dwindled into a mish-mosh dumping ground for things. Has it changed? Sure. Doesn't mean it changed for the better. The Sorcerer's Hat contributes to this problem.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think the park is supposed to embody now?

TSSD
06-10-2011, 12:05 AM
\
Nick Studios-So i guess Family Feud counts as well.*sarcasm*

:doh: Family Feud was a show that just happened to be filmed at Uni, Nick studios was an entire attraction, with tours, and shows that did just happened to get filmed there. NOT the same as FF.

Obi Ubamba
06-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Mgm>dhs

jtsalien
06-10-2011, 12:25 AM
Of course that is one of the things the park is about.

But the Sorcerer's Hat fails to capture that in its entirety.

What does the Sorcerer's Hat make you think of? First thing that comes to mind for me is Disney's works and Fantasia.

But I so do not think of things like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Gone with the Wind, Alien, Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz, King Kong, or any other kind of non-Disney Hollywood classic when I see it.

As I have stated several times before, The Sorcerer's Hat puts a ridiculous amount of emphasis on Disney, which throws the entire park off balance. I should have rephrased/emphasized this before, but BOTH Chinese Theater and the Earful Tower were the icons simultaneously. The Earful Tower was just the one they used for marketing (Although the Chinese Theater was used in some advertising). The Chinese Theater and the Great Movie Ride symbolized the magic and imagination of EVERYTHING Hollywood. The Earful Tower symbolized the magic behind the works of Disney and the rest of Hollywood.

The park is a tribute to BOTH Disney and Hollywood, and the things that made them great. Here is the dedication to the park:

The World you have entered was created by The Walt Disney Company and is dedicated to Hollywood—not a place on a map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine, a place where illusion and reality are fused by technological magic. We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was—and always will be.

-Michael Eisner, May 1, 1989

The park was NEVER intended to emphasis Disney as they do now. The Sorcerer's Hat does just that.

And saying the park isn't about production is way off base. (Unless again, I'm reading you wrong) I actually regret not bringing this up earlier, but one of the things MGM/DHS was built upon was that it was a tribute to the golden Hollywood, yet at the same time, a "dream factory" where the public could not only learn the magic behind Hollywood movies, but learn the secrets behind Disney's creative process up and close. At the end of the day, the guests would find themselves in better appreciation and understanding of movies that made the entertainment industry as great as it is. The removal of the actual production has proved to be disastrous towards the park's overall theme.

As I stated earlier, the park is in theme schizophrenia. The Great Movie Ride still well symbolizes the old theme and intent of the park. TOT symbolizes Hollywood's golden age very well without putting an emphasis on Disney, as do Muppets, and other select areas of the park. The rest of the park has dwindled into a mish-mosh dumping ground for things. Has it changed? Sure. Doesn't mean it changed for the better. The Sorcerer's Hat contributes to this problem.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think the park is supposed to embody now?

The park embodies what it was re-branded as in January 2008. Meg Crofton said, "the new name reflects how the park has grown from representing the golden age of movies to a celebration of the new entertainment that today's Hollywood has to offer—in music, television, movies and theater." The park really has grown. It's not the park it used to be when Eisner built it. I'm not arguing that this new park is better. Because I don't think it is. I agree, DMS>DHS. But this is not DMS. It never will be again. When the name changed, the park officially did too. Sure, the new embodiment of the new park is vauge. But it fits for what it offers.

Jubilation Lee
06-10-2011, 12:28 AM
The park embodies what it was re-branded as in January 2008. Meg Crofton said, "the new name reflects how the park has grown from representing the golden age of movies to a celebration of the new entertainment that today's Hollywood has to offer—in music, television, movies and theater." The park really has grown. It's not the park it used to be when Eisner built it. I'm not arguing that this new park is better. Because I don't think it is. I agree, DMS>DHS. But this is not DMS. It never will be again. When the name changed, the park officially did too. Sure, the new embodiment of the new park is vauge. But it fits for what it offers.

Fair enough then. I too agree that MGM was a much better direction to take.

BriMan
06-10-2011, 01:27 AM
I'm sorry, but I disagree with this. First off, MGM became DHS only 3 years ago, the hat has been there since 2000. Secondly, sure it has ties to one of Disney's most popular movies, and a breakthrough film, but the Hat's sole purpose in the park was just to give it an icon. When Imagineers want it gone, and hate it, you know it's an issue.

As far as DHS being a hub and spoke park, it's really isn't, and I don't see how anyone could see that.

TSSD
06-10-2011, 01:39 AM
I'm sorry, but I disagree with this. First off, MGM became DHS only 3 years ago, the hat has been there since 2000. Secondly, sure it has ties to one of Disney's most popular movies, and a breakthrough film, but the Hat's sole purpose in the park was just to give it an icon. When Imagineers want it gone, and hate it, you know it's an issue.

As far as DHS being a hub and spoke park, it's really isn't, and I don't see how anyone could see that.
:iagree:

jtsalien
06-10-2011, 01:41 AM

I think of the name change as sort of the last step in a gradual transformation. I'm not saying I wouldn't rather be without the hat, I just understand it's purpose. And yeah I guess I was pushing it with it being a hub and spoke park. But it does have a mainstreet with it's icon at the end.

Jubilation Lee
06-10-2011, 01:44 AM
I definitely still think that there are creative flaws with the placement of the Sorcerer's Hat. If Disney wants to give up with the Golden Hollywood theme and give DHS a new identity and theme, then so be it. (even if I'm not comfortable with the idea). I still think the hat should be removed, and a new sort of icon should be created for the park (that isn't located right in the center of the park), as neither Chinese Theater or the Earful Tower can symbolize the park's new theme good enough.

BriMan
06-10-2011, 01:50 AM
I think of the name change as sort of the last step in a gradual transformation. I'm not saying I wouldn't rather be without the hat, I just understand it's purpose. And yeah I guess I was pushing it with it being a hub and spoke park. But it does have a mainstreet with it's icon at the end.

It's purpose was to commemorate Walt's 100th birthday. They just decided to leave it up after that celebration passed. Also, if you're going to celebrate Fantasia, at least make sure the colors are right. They changed it last year from the gold shapes, to silver, which is not faithful at all.

jtsalien
06-10-2011, 02:05 AM
It's purpose was to commemorate Walt's 100th birthday. They just decided to leave it up after that celebration passed. Also, if you're going to celebrate Fantasia, at least make sure the colors are right. They changed it last year from the gold shapes, to silver, which is not faithful at all.

I know. I just meant I could see why it was left up. And that's a valid point. The change baffles me.

BriMan
06-10-2011, 02:19 AM
I know. I just meant I could see why it was left up. And that's a valid point. The change baffles me.

Here's my beef with that hat.

Cinderella Castle - Main Focal Point, Top notch restaurant, gateway to Fantasyland.
Spaceship Earth - Top notch attraction
Tree of Life - Top notch 3D attraction, beatifully decorated/themed, home to many animals.
Hat - Pin Station

jtsalien
06-10-2011, 02:29 AM
Here's my beef with that hat.

Cinderella Castle - Main Focal Point, Top notch restaurant, gateway to Fantasyland.
Spaceship Earth - Top notch attraction
Tree of Life - Top notch 3D attraction, beatifully decorated/themed, home to many animals.
Hat - Pin Station

That's probably because it wasn't initially meant to be permanent. But then again, they could have put it on the theater :lol:

BriMan
06-10-2011, 02:33 AM
That's probably because it wasn't initially meant to be permanent. But then again, they could have put it on the theater :lol:

Well the original plan was for it to be the house of "One Man's Dream". Obviously, that didn't happen. :lol:

jtsalien
06-10-2011, 02:48 AM
Well the original plan was for it to be the house of "One Man's Dream". Obviously, that didn't happen. :lol:

It did. Just not Walt's dream. It's the dream of the man who wants to catch all the pins :lol:

skeletonowl
06-10-2011, 11:19 AM
My friend who works at Disney made it a point to bring it up to me that she and many other cast members hate the hat because it blocks the theatre. It is a popular conversation topic when visiting DHS apparently. I find it interesting that my friend who is the biggest Disney fan I know hates the hat.

Thor
06-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Wasn't the original plan for the hat to be ferris wheels? Mickey ears would be coming out the side and house the ferris wheels. At least that is what the Field Guide says.

I think the hat needs to come down. NOW. Putting it outside the entrance gates would be fine my me, if there is room.

Vyrus
06-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Thats the first I've ever heard anything of a ferris wheel.

jtsalien
06-10-2011, 01:04 PM

Same here. Now THAT would be weird.

Thor
06-10-2011, 01:07 PM

Same here. Now THAT would be weird.

The Field Guide to Disney's Hollywood Studios has an artist rendering:

http://jimhillmedia.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-ImageFileViewer/CommunityServer-Blogs-Components-WeblogFiles-00-00-00-00-03/3225.dhs_2D00_guide_2D00_2_2D00_hat.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

jtsalien
06-10-2011, 01:08 PM
The Field Guide to Disney's Hollywood Studios has an artist rendering:

Wow. I guess I should finally take that book down from the shelf and read it :lol:

Octobers Fade
06-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Move the hat.... Haven't been there since they put it up, but it just doesn't fit and it shows.

jtsalien
06-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Move the hat.... Haven't been there since they put it up, but it just doesn't fit and it shows.

WOW! :jaw:

Thor
06-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Wow. I guess I should finally take that book down from the shelf and read it :lol:

I bought all their Field Guides. Interesting books. Learn some of the back story to each attraction. Doesn't go into full detail, but good enough for me.

jtsalien
06-10-2011, 01:27 PM
I bought all their Field Guides. Interesting books. Learn some of the back story to each attraction. Doesn't go into full detail, but good enough for me.

I have them all, and I've read the rest. I bought the DHS earlier this year along with a bunch of other books, but being an engineering student caught up to me :lol:. Hopefully now that I'm done for the summer I can catch up on reading.

Thor
06-10-2011, 01:32 PM
I have them all, and I've read the rest. I bought the DHS earlier this year along with a bunch of other books, but being an engineering student caught up to me :lol:. Hopefully now that I'm done for the summer I can catch up on reading.

LOL. Summer reading. DHS Field Guide is a must.

rhino4evr
06-10-2011, 02:42 PM
I think a lot of MGM..sorry old habit...needs to be redone. I liked the idea of making a larger Star Wars area..simialr to Harry Potter. Maybe a themed play area + restaurant. How cool would a Mos Eisley Cantina be? You could have animatronic Mos Eisley Band playing in the background...and other cool stuff like a sunken bar that featured different aliens.

Anyway...they need to update the Movie Ride for sure. I havent been to that park since Aerosmith opened, and it was old then. Muppets could use some TLC too.

BriMan
06-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Muppets just went hi-def last year.

Mike554
06-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Hey guys i was wondering about this how would you feel about a extended The Wizard of Oz segment?

Thor
06-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Hey guys i was wondering about this how would you feel about a extended The Wizard of Oz segment?

How much more extended? There was supposed to be a section where you were picked up by a tornado and brought into Oz. That section is the cavern area where the projection of Fantasia is shown. Notice on the walls. There are designs of a cyclone. I read that the tornado affect was cancelled due to being too scary for people who actually live in states that are affected by tornadoes.

Other than that, I cannot come up with a way to extend the show scenes for Wizard of Oz.

Mike554
06-10-2011, 06:47 PM
I was thinking of us walking along the yellow brick road with Dorothy and the other main characters as we follow them till we get transported to the next movie.

zbob1992
06-11-2011, 11:13 AM
I was thinking of us walking along the yellow brick road with Dorothy and the other main characters as we follow them till we get transported to the next movie.

I disagree with this because The Great Movie Ride is about each movie and emphasizing one over the other diminishes the other movies and therefore the entire ride. It would be like only having a longer outdoor portion of Test Track or just the drop part of TOT.

jtsalien
06-11-2011, 01:20 PM
I disagree with this because The Great Movie Ride is about each movie and emphasizing one over the other diminishes the other movies and therefore the entire ride. It would be like only having a longer outdoor portion of Test Track or just the drop part of TOT.

I agree with you. We need more different movies. Not just more of what we have.

smalld
06-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Very simple the hat needs to go....... to the junk yard like the wand did..... :look:

hairyleo
06-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Oh, come on. The wand wasn't that bad. I . . . um . . . actually *cough* sorta liked it.

But, on topic, I don't mind the hat, but its placement makes everything look so cluttered and unorganized: exactly what Disney doesn't look like. But . . . now it does :look: And the fact that it's a pin station doesn't help, either. I really wish they had stuck with that one man's dream concept because it looks really cool, but, since it's kinda too late for that, just move the hat somewhere else. Like to an empty space by LMA, or on top of a soundstage, or (since Disney is obviously refusing to scrap it) the backlot tour. It could even go in front of the gates somewhere. It would make a cool entrance. Just somewhere - anywhere - else.

jtsalien
06-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Oh, come on. The wand wasn't that bad. I . . . um . . . actually *cough* sorta liked it.

But, on topic, I don't mind the hat, but its placement makes everything look so cluttered and unorganized: exactly what Disney doesn't look like. But . . . now it does :look: And the fact that it's a pin station doesn't help, either. I really wish they had stuck with that one man's dream concept because it looks really cool, but, since it's kinda too late for that, just move the hat somewhere else. Like to an empty space by LMA, or on top of a soundstage, or (since Disney is obviously refusing to scrap it) the backlot tour. It could even go in front of the gates somewhere. It would make a cool entrance. Just somewhere - anywhere - else.

The wand was awesome for the millenium celebration, but should have been taken down immediately after.

As for the hat, I would love to see it out in front of the gates. Not necessarily right on top, since I love the way they currently look. But maybe make it right in next to the baggage check. Would be a great photo op.

Cwoolboy
06-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Short and sweet: The hat needs to go.

Broadwayj1
06-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Maybe the hat can go on the backlot tour so people can have something to look at. Haha. This is great news.

rotcav
06-15-2011, 12:34 PM
They could easily move it to some alternate locale... I agree, the hat distracts the beauty of the Chinese Theater, and the original centerpiece of the park.

Rock'nRoller
06-15-2011, 12:50 PM
I think the hat needs to be re-located to Downtown Disney. It would be perfect there!

bciech8
06-15-2011, 12:56 PM
I think the hat needs to be re-located to Downtown Disney. It would be perfect there!

For some reason I never thought of that. I approve of this idea.

TSSD
06-15-2011, 01:07 PM

Good idea! DD needs an icon like that, and it would work perfectly there!

Vyrus
06-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Yeap, not that DD is mainly just...well...GRASS...this could add a nice visual element to the DD and make it have its OWN icon.

Rock'nRoller
06-15-2011, 01:51 PM
For some reason I never thought of that. I approve of this idea.

Good idea! DD needs an icon like that, and it would work perfectly there!

Yeap, not that DD is mainly just...well...GRASS...this could add a nice visual element to the DD and make it have its OWN icon.

Glad you guys agree. I was thinking maybe the hat might be placed in DD if they where to expand and cover the land north of Cirque Du Soleil's La Nouba.

jtsalien
06-15-2011, 02:07 PM
That is a very good idea. People would probably love too see it at DD, and the pin station would finally make sense :lol:

Thor
06-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Hmmm the hat in DTD? Never thought of it. I kind of like it.

Broadwayj1
06-15-2011, 02:57 PM
It would be amazing at dd. The more I think about it, the more I love that idea.:happy:

Scarletwebslingr
06-15-2011, 04:16 PM
The Hat? More like The Shat. Bon Voyage :wave:

Cwoolboy
06-15-2011, 06:17 PM

I approve :thumbs:

Manx27
06-16-2011, 02:17 AM
Downtown Disney would be a great fit, but what if they moved the hat right behind the Beauty and the Beast theater. It would be the first thing guests see at the main entrance, and they could route the path to Fantasmic past it...its already themed to the show!
Disney has already invested too much making the hat the icon of DHS - I don't think they can move it out of the park at this point.

jj3352
06-22-2011, 02:56 AM
It would be cool outside of the park gates in the area where the christmas tree goes. they could even keep it as a shop.
The hat in its current location is a HUGE eyesore. I truly miss seeing the Mann's Chinese Theater after we walk through the gates.

Tbad556
06-22-2011, 11:47 AM
From Screamscape:

While Walt Disney World seems to have been slacking a bit in having any kind of big celebration events, especially ones that will introduce a slew of new attractions, I’m hearing that some kind of event may be in the works to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
At the same time, I’m a little hesitant to buy into it since WDW chose to just blow off Epcot’s 25th Anniversary which came and went on October 1st, 2007. But unlike in 2007, the Studios park does have a number of potential high profile attractions that could be on the verge of getting approved and built just in time for that big Anniversary, so stay tuned. Of course the only big rumor so far is that the big “Hat” will likely be removed at last.

Thor
06-22-2011, 11:56 AM
I'll believe screamscape as soon as I see an UFO land in my backyard and an alien walk into my house.

Skeptical, but hopeful the hat is removed.

TSSD
06-22-2011, 12:36 PM
From Screamscape:

I don't know what's more unlikely, something happening for DHS' 25th, or them removing the hat. Both of them are really exciting though, I do hope that these rumors are true.

Vyrus
06-22-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm actually more excited for the possible high profile attractions.

I'm hoping for the Monster Inc Coaster, or an Indy ride, or a FULL Star Wars section to the park or a number of other things.

jtsalien
06-22-2011, 12:51 PM
I'll take a new E-Ticket over losing the Hat for sure.

Avvie Cunnington
08-27-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm a fan of the hat, i love it will be sad to see it go. I was sad to see the wand go from Spaceship Earth and will be sad to see the hat go, to me its the DHS icon, then again i never did see the park without it so to me DHS won't be DHS without it :(

U-Phone
10-17-2011, 02:45 PM
:jaw:

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the hat is an icon!!!!!!!!!!!

JungleSkip
10-17-2011, 02:47 PM
:jaw:

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the hat is an icon!!!!!!!!!!!

No, it's not. It's an evil, scenery destroying eye sore that should be shot into the sun.

U-Phone
10-17-2011, 02:50 PM
No, it's not. It's an evil, scenery destroying eye sore that should be shot into the sun.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRM5CGSwuvZC3WopRjcCWGm__ohIWiCtM4qvHGzcEP-atwOa0Ksxw

zbob1992
10-17-2011, 03:42 PM
no, it's not. It's an evil, scenery destroying eye sore that should be shot into the sun.

This.

TheDecemberists
10-17-2011, 03:52 PM
We're not being mean, we're being honest.

jtsalien
10-17-2011, 03:54 PM
It may be set up as an icon at the moment, but that does not mean it should be. Icons don't destroy elaborate theme, they add to it. *cough* Chinese Theater *cough*

U-Phone
10-17-2011, 03:54 PM
We're not being mean, we're being honest.

its been an icon for like an entire decade and u want it gone??!! wat exactly about it makes it bad?

Sideshow Mike
10-17-2011, 04:00 PM
It covers up the original landmark, the Chinese Theater. Take a look at this: http://www.yesterland.com/removehat.html. It shows the park without the hat and with the hat.

JungleSkip
10-17-2011, 04:08 PM
It covers up the original landmark, the Chinese Theater. Take a look at this: http://www.yesterland.com/removehat.html. It shows the park without the hat and with the hat.

More than just covering it up, it destroy the amazing design og Hollywood Boulevard WDI did back in the day. The hat just does not fit in it's current location.

Felipe
10-17-2011, 04:14 PM
It's an evil, scenery destroying eye sore that should be shot into the sun.

I agree. It's covering the much more beautiful Grauman's Chinese Theatre replica that's right behind it. The hat just sticks out in the theming of the area.

U-Phone
10-17-2011, 04:26 PM
u might think this jerky of me, but imo the theater aint that great. i still wish they would change the movies they have in there, considering the contract with MGM is cut. i always considered the water tower and the hat to be the real landmarks of the park, not the theater

TombraiderTy
10-17-2011, 04:32 PM
I think a person liking/disliking the hat depends on whether he/she grew up with it or not. Those who remember a Studios without it prefer the former, but those of us who have never known anything but the hat (myself included) don't mind it. Similarly, I don't mind Journey into Your Imagination with Figment or The Living Seas with Nemo and Friends, nor did I dislike The Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management and the massive hand on Spaceship Earth. Pardon small Disney visits in 1996 and 1997, I didn't start attending the park's annually until 2005.

Regarding the hat itself, I would be neutral if they removed it. I think it's a nice icon and is much more noticeable than the Chinese Theater, but returning the park's icon to its roots would make Hollywood Boulevard more "street-like".

U-Phone
10-17-2011, 04:35 PM
I think a person liking/disliking the hat depends on whether he/she grew up with it or not. Those who remember a Studios without it prefer the former, but those of us who have never known anything but the hat (myself included) don't mind it. Similarly, I don't mind Journey into Your Imagination with Figment or The Living Seas with Nemo and Friends, nor did I dislike The Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management and the massive hand on Spaceship Earth. Pardon small Disney visits in 1996 and 1997, I didn't start attending the park's annually until 2005.

Regarding the hat itself, I would be neutral if they removed it. I think it's a nice icon and is much more noticeable than the Chinese Theater, but returning the park's icon to its roots would make Hollywood Boulevard more "street-like".

i grew up with the water tower and the hat as the icons. last i remembered, the theater was never its icon i believe.

but if they remove, a chunk of my childhood will be lost, seriously.

jtsalien
10-17-2011, 04:38 PM

Personal taste is debateable, but theme is not. The hat does not fit with the well detailed entrance to the park. Same with the wand and Leave a Legacy Tombstones at Epcot. Personal taste is fair for Under New Management and Figment, but there is simply no denying the Hat is a flaw. I like the hat, not its location.

U-Phone
10-17-2011, 04:41 PM
yeah, but the wand at Epcot had to go. it overstayed its welcome imo.

JungleSkip
10-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Personal taste is debateable, but theme is not. The hat does not fit with the well detailed entrance to the park. Same with the wand and Leave a Legacy Tombstones at Epcot. Personal taste is fair for Under New Management and Figment, but there is simply no denying the Hat is a flaw. I like the hat, not its location.

Yea, I could deal with the hat if it was put outside the park where the Christmas tree usually goes.

yeah, but the wand at Epcot had to go. it overstayed its welcome imo.

In that case, so has the Hat. They were put up at the same time.

U-Phone
10-17-2011, 04:50 PM
In that case, so has the Hat. They were put up at the same time.

:confused:

my childhood has just been shattered. i honestly didnt know that

imo the wand was like a zit on the face of a golf ball. didnt go well with the sphere.

i guess i could see why everyone wants the hat gone, its just that its been there for so much longer than the wand.....

Felipe
10-17-2011, 05:36 PM
I've only been to Disney after the hat was already in place, but I'm not attached to it at all. (I also really don't care for the pin shop located there.) I think the hat clashes with the theming in the area and think it would be best gone. :)

TSSD
10-17-2011, 06:07 PM
i grew up with the water tower and the hat as the icons. last i remembered, the theater was never its icon i believe.
Same goes with me. The first time I went to DW was when I was 5, and the hat had just been put up. All I can remember is the hat. That said, I still despise it.

YETI PINTRADER
10-17-2011, 10:16 PM
I don't have a problem with the hat, just with what is under it. I really with that something other then a pin stand could be done with it. I'm a big pintrader and all but this is an icon, not a store. Why they don't just move the pin station and bring back the trivia stands from 100 years of magic or anything interactive like that is beyond me.
Also I grew up with the hat, mainly, and I never had a probelm with it. Does it go with the Hollywood theme, no. I do feel that it represents the impression of Disney on Hollywood and the implication that in the park movies come to life on a large scale. I always thought it looked cool.

TombraiderTy
10-17-2011, 10:27 PM

How is an over-sized hat at the end of a 1920's boulevard any different than a medieval castle at the end of a turn-of-the-century street? :P

BJCool
10-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Here's a video that talks about the issue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kou4M0A_C1I

jtsalien
10-17-2011, 10:37 PM
How is an over-sized hat at the end of a 1920's boulevard any different than a medieval castle at the end of a turn-of-the-century street? :P

You're comparing apples to oranges. The castle wasn't built in front of an elaborate replica of a turn of the century landmark containing one of the park's signature rides.

TombraiderTy
10-18-2011, 04:33 PM
^For a first time visitor, I don't think there's any difference- a medieval castle is just as out-of-place in one park as a giant hat is in another. And, in all honesty, neither truly matters- both have a Disney touch to them and add to the "magic".

JungleSkip
10-18-2011, 04:36 PM
^For a first time visitor, I don't think there's any difference- a medieval castle is just as out-of-place in one park as a giant hat is in another. And, in all honesty, neither truly matters- both have a Disney touch to them and add to the "magic".

Storywise, there is a ton of difference. The castle acts as kind of the magical portal to the other lands, which is why it's not on Main Street.

The hat has no story justification or reason for being where it is. In fact it negates the story which is being in a Hollywood that "never was, but always will be".

jtsalien
10-18-2011, 04:54 PM

It does matter. The magic kingdom is a world of total fantasy. Nothing claims to be a replica of anyting. The Hat destroys the illusion of old Hollywood. A first time visitor wouldn't know the differnece between Dragon's Challenge and Dueling Dragon's either, but that doesn't make DC better does it?

hairyleo
10-18-2011, 07:18 PM

I agree whole-heartedly with the JungleSkip and jtsalien and I would also like to add that the hat makes it look so cluttered. It's behind buildings in some places and blocking them in others. It's a very irregular shape and makes the whole street look discombobulated.

And on a completely unrelated note, "discombobulated" climbed its way up to my top ten favorite words after "butyraceous" and "serendipitous".

pat_naughty05
10-19-2011, 12:59 AM

You're right! Tear down the castle!!! :rofl:

Felipe
10-19-2011, 01:47 AM
You're right! Tear down the castle!!! :rofl:

:lol:

And put the hat in its place! :pound:

Jakemeister
10-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Mr. Gorbachev tear down this hat.

Teknik_DC2
10-19-2011, 06:06 PM
My first and only time visiting the then Disney-MGM Studios was as a kid in 1993. It saddens me to see that hat there because the entry was Epic with that Magestic theater sitting at the end of the road. I do hope they relocate that hat to a more sutable location someday so that everything will look right and amazing once again.

Jack Heimdall
01-31-2012, 07:17 AM
Disney has already invested too much making the hat the icon of DHS - I don't think they can move it out of the park at this point.

That is very true. Even if the hat is moved, it is still plastered on everything as the icon. Thus simply tearing it down would make them have to recreate all the images of the icon. Although I have never been to DHS sans hat, I do agree it is an eyesore.

figment1986
01-31-2012, 07:29 AM
That is very true. Even if the hat is moved, it is still plastered on everything as the icon. Thus simply tearing it down would make them have to recreate all the images of the icon. Although I have never been to DHS sans hat, I do agree it is an eyesore.

I know one spot it is not listed as the icon... Transportation signs at the TTC ;)

jtsalien
01-31-2012, 09:12 AM

They could move the hat out of the park. It could still sit in the front by the parking lot as a photo op, and the merchandise will still be relevant.

KRAKENvsMANTA
01-31-2012, 02:13 PM
The hat can still maintain it's status as DHS' icon in another location. As people have suggested, maybe outside the front gate. When guests pull into DHS' parking lot, the thing first they'll see is the hat; signifying they're arrival to DHS and maintaining the hat as a park-welcoming icon. However, the hat blocking the view of the majestic Chinese Theater is obsurd! I don't hate the hat, I just absolutely hate it's location.

JungleSkip
01-31-2012, 02:18 PM
But I don't want it to be the symbol!:lol:

Death to the hat!:boxing:

hairyleo
01-31-2012, 02:25 PM
It makes a nice symbol. I mean, the chinese theater is pretty and all, but it's still just a building. The other parks have castles, trees, giant silver globes, etc. Not to mention, it looks pretty majestic lit up and all. I think it would be perfect right outside of the park. :lol:

JungleSkip
01-31-2012, 02:35 PM
It makes a nice symbol. I mean, the chinese theater is pretty and all, but it's still just a building. The other parks have castles, trees, giant silver globes, etc. Not to mention, it looks pretty majestic lit up and all. I think it would be perfect right outside of the park. :lol:

All the other ones also make sense for the park. The hat makes no sense for it at all. The theater or the water tower make so much more sense than the hat.

Cecilia
01-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Couldn't it be placed near Fantasmic, in a backlot? I'm not sure of the park's layout, but surely it's big enough to see as a backdrop to the show.

Or perhaps this has already been discussed? If so, ignore this post.

Skipper Justin
01-31-2012, 05:28 PM
I really really really want them to remove it. The facade for the theatre is so nice and most people probably just walk right by it.

the_ultimate_evil
02-02-2012, 11:02 AM
the hat sucks, seriously i can understand why they wanted it to be the symbol of the park but the placement of it is moronic, it ruins a great site of the theatre and anything they shove in front of it makes it worse(high school musical stage)

i mean if it was for the whole 100 years thing its over and done, they took that god awful wand off of spaceship earth

tribbleorlfl
02-03-2012, 11:03 PM
All the other ones also make sense for the park. The hat makes no sense for it at all. The theater or the water tower make so much more sense than the hat.

Not to mention the eater tower WAS used un marketing and merchandise as the representative icon.

Cole
10-14-2014, 05:59 PM
Ok so kenny the pirate found a very unique observation from the new park maps. I really hope this is the case because that thing is ugly!!!! Type your thoughts below
http://www.kennythepirate.com/2014/10/13/will-the-sorcerers-hat-finally-be-removed-from-hollywood-studios/

P@n!K_Sw1tC#
10-14-2014, 06:17 PM
http://youtu.be/7EauSMNRvPk?t=31s

Ad0niS8
10-14-2014, 06:21 PM
I thought they had planned on removing the hat for quite some time now.

OrlandoGuy
10-14-2014, 06:34 PM
That could be really good news if true. The most interesting thing about that article, to me, was the explanation of why the hat was installed in the first place...if it really is about Grauman (or whoever owns the Chinese Theater nowadays) wanting a cut of all sales of photgraphs in front of the theater then the solution is simple--don't offer photographs in front of it!

natespf
10-14-2014, 06:37 PM
I hope this thing does finally get taken down. I have said it before, as long as the current owners of the real Chinese Theater are not too greedy it would be worth licensing.

tuc48038
10-14-2014, 07:21 PM
Man, they really aren't doing things in stages at all are they? Backlot Tour is gone, American Idol is gone, Sounds Dangerous is gone, now the centerpiece to the park? (not saying it was great or anything). Still, they must want revamp this quickly!

Teebin
10-14-2014, 08:07 PM
Man, they really aren't doing things in stages at all are they? Backlot Tour is gone, American Idol is gone, Sounds Dangerous is gone, now the centerpiece to the park? (not saying it was great or anything). Still, they must want revamp this quickly!

Yeah, but they are stripping the park without replacing anything first. It hits me as an odd way to proceed unless the numbers for those attractions were really low. How often are they running that "?????" night time show now?

tuc48038
10-14-2014, 08:12 PM
Yeah, but they are stripping the park without replacing anything first. It hits me as an odd way to proceed unless the numbers for those attractions were really low. How often are they running that "?????" night time show now?

No I am totally with you on that. That's why it is so surprising! If they remove the hat, it opens up so much more viewing room, so I would hope they have a night show every night.

But yeah, not saying the Backlot tour ever had a long wait, but it did eat a lot of people.

natespf
10-14-2014, 08:19 PM

I would still think it to be better if they were to stagger things. Considering they only have a few things worth doing and the capacity problems. It could become a mad house if there is nothing to distract visitors from the real attractions :rofl:

Also with this TSMM improvement being talked about, does anyone know if they need to close the attraction for this, and for how long?

Edit:

I just realized they are going to put up ad-hoc temporary stages in front of each closed attraction. They will have staggered start times, and each has a different name, but you get there and these same guys show up with different shirts on and they cut things...

http://youtu.be/GKllTL0byPg

:rofl:

Mad Dog
10-14-2014, 09:02 PM
I would still think it to be better if they were to stagger things. Considering they only have a few things worth doing and the capacity problems. It could become a mad house if there is nothing to distract visitors from the real attractions :rofl:

Also with this TSMM improvement being talked about, does anyone know if they need to close the attraction for this, and for how long?

Edit:

I just realized they are going to put up ad-hoc temporary stages in front of each closed attraction. They will have staggered start times, and each has a different name, but you get there and these same guys show up with different shirts on and they cut things...

http://youtu.be/GKllTL0byPg

:rofl: Now that is truly funny. Lumberjacks to the left of us, Lumberjacks to the right., Lumberjacks in front of us. Lumberjacks to the rear. Lumberjacks EVERYWHERE!!!

Cole
10-14-2014, 09:10 PM
Now that is truly funny. Lumberjacks to the left of us, Lumberjacks to the right., Lumberjacks in front of us. Lumberjacks to the rear. Lumberjacks EVERYWHERE!!!

At this point they should just open lumberjack world, it would fit perfectly next to gator land

KRAKENvsMANTA
10-15-2014, 01:20 AM
This sounds like it's actually happening. Which is absolutely terrific news! That hat defines eyesore. I question if it's removal means that it's gone for good, or just being relocated. A placement near Fantasmic! perhaps?

The hat's removal, compounded with the Cars/Star Wars Land(s) rumors, has me excited for the future at DHS.

natespf
10-15-2014, 09:50 AM
This sounds like it's actually happening. Which is absolutely terrific news! That hat defines eyesore. I question if it's removal means that it's gone for good, or just being relocated. A placement near Fantasmic! perhaps?

The hat's removal, compounded with the Cars/Star Wars Land(s) rumors, has me excited for the future at DHS.

What is the hat made out of? I try so hard to ignore it when at that park, it is such an eyesore in it's current location. It could possibly look good somewhere else more fitting.

Also if anyone can post some pictures it would be appreciated. It would be great if anyone happens to be going there to get some closeups of the structure. :pray:

Kuribo
10-15-2014, 08:54 PM
It may be of interest for you to know that the Chinese Theatre recently got new owners in the past couple years. It's now owned by a Chinese electronics manufacturer called TCL (It's officially called the TCL Chinese Theatre). Maybe the new owners don't mind if it's photographed.

I don't think that's the actual reason though. I just think they didn't take the hat down after the 100 Years of Magic Celebration because they made really bad decisions at the time, like the EPCOT wand over Spaceship Earth.

natespf
10-15-2014, 09:16 PM
It may be of interest for you to know that the Chinese Theatre recently got new owners in the past couple years. It's now owned by a Chinese electronics manufacturer called TCL (It's officially called the TCL Chinese Theatre). Maybe the new owners don't mind if it's photographed.

I don't think that's the actual reason though. I just think they didn't take the hat down after the 100 Years of Magic Celebration because they made really bad decisions at the time, like the EPCOT wand over Spaceship Earth.

It is my understanding that TCL purchased the naming rights, or in other words they are just a sponsor. I believe it is still owned by a group of investors. But TCL is looking to expand their brand in the states, so possibly Disney could get them to pay licensing if they brand it accordingly.

UNIrd
10-16-2014, 08:43 AM
The hat has become the park's icon in recent years. I would think they'd relocate it and not just remove it if they continue to use for it merch, marketing, etc.

natespf
10-16-2014, 09:40 AM
The hat has become the park's icon in recent years. I would think they'd relocate it and not just remove it if they continue to use for it merch, marketing, etc.

This was not recent. It was built specifically to be the icon for the park. But MK has the castle to represent the magical park, Epcot has the ball to represent technology, AK has the tree to represent nature, and DHS has Mickey's hat from Fantasia to represent Hollywood?????

Ad0niS8
10-16-2014, 10:46 AM
This was not recent. It was built specifically to be the icon for the park. But MK has the castle to represent the magical park, Epcot has the ball to represent technology, AK has the tree to represent nature, and DHS has Mickey's hat from Fantasia to represent Hollywood?????

It was originally the Water Tower which I always thought was a bit classier

Kuribo
10-16-2014, 03:32 PM
It is my understanding that TCL purchased the naming rights, or in other words they are just a sponsor.

I think you're right -- thanks for the clarification. If anyone lives in the area you should really check it out after the recent renovation - It's now a legit IMAX.

Teebin
10-16-2014, 06:44 PM

I just checked maps and it would fit in the entry plaza by the waterfront.

natespf
10-16-2014, 07:51 PM
It was originally the Water Tower which I always thought was a bit classier

Ah yes, very reminiscent of Hollywood's golden years. It tended to make me think of the WB studios. Though it may not fit with the direction I am thinking they are taking with the park.

You know what this park needs thought... a mountain!

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu256/pabloskiff/f720a9f9.jpg

Man it would be bad-:censored: if they actually had the space for something like that.

Vyrus
10-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Well with the rumored name change to Disney's Hollywood Adventure, anything is possible :thumbs:

tielo
10-17-2014, 10:23 AM
I heard the hat is moved and reused in another amazing location where Disney is sure everyone will be happy.
It'll be on top of the deathstar that will be build in DHS as part of Star Wars Land. The Deathstar will be part pizza restaurant called "The Throat Choke" and will have the same magical quality as the Pizza Planet once. In addition there will be a shop in there and an interactive game that needs you to wave money in front of a screen to move a Mickey with a light saber.

JokerMan0925
10-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Disney just confirmed to a local news station that the Hat will be removed in early 2015.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/sorcerers-hat-to-be-removed-from-disneys-hollywood-studios/29323994

I had always thought everyone thought the hat was a bad idea. The general public seems to be upset with the removal of the hat...

http://s12.postimg.org/nzrcyi119/Capture.jpg

jtsalien
10-24-2014, 05:39 PM
Hopefully none of those people ever step foot on property again. Addition by subtraction.

Cole
10-24-2014, 05:41 PM
It's a giant hat....not a national landmark

shiekra38
10-24-2014, 05:45 PM
Probably because those folks never stepped foot in the park with the original theater exposed...the hat did its job as an icon of sorts

Mad Dog
10-24-2014, 05:46 PM
I see they're closing the Pirates attraction also. No Backlot Tour, American Idol, Sounds, AFI exhibit or Pirates. None of these were very good attractions, but what the heck, there is no capacity in that park now with so few attractions. I actually like DHS, but lines for existing attractions will be so long come the busy season with no replacements in sight. As someone said over at WDW Magic, may as well just shut the park down for the next 3 or 5 years until new attractions are built...Great to see the Hat going though. That was one ugly entrance for the park sight lines.

ThemeParks4Life
10-24-2014, 06:17 PM
Good riddance. Going to be great to see the Chinese Theater non-obstructed.

BriMan
10-24-2014, 06:37 PM
The ball is in Disney's court now. I hope they don't fumble it.

natespf
10-24-2014, 07:00 PM
Disney just confirmed to a local news station that the Hat will be removed in early 2015.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/sorcerers-hat-to-be-removed-from-disneys-hollywood-studios/29323994

I had always thought everyone thought the hat was a bad idea. The general public seems to be upset with the removal of the hat...

http://s12.postimg.org/nzrcyi119/Capture.jpg

LOL that second comment is just too funny. Adding the hat was a corporate change, one which desperately needed to be undone. That literally ruined the initial view inside the park. IMO if they move it, should be outside of the parks. Possibly near an entrance, at one of the hotels, or even just along the interstate. It could actually be fitting somewhere, but definitely not where it is.

jtsalien
10-24-2014, 07:08 PM
The ball is in Disney's court now. I hope they don't fumble it.

Or worse....

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/sanchez21.gif?w=1000

shiekra38
10-24-2014, 07:47 PM
Or worse....

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/sanchez21.gif?w=1000

How did you get that behind the scenes footage of a TDO meeting?

Teebin
10-24-2014, 07:48 PM
The hat was an Eisner, correct?

jtsalien
10-24-2014, 08:21 PM
The hat was an Eisner, correct?

Yep. Hat is from way back in 2001 for the 100 Years of magic.

Milla4Prez66
10-25-2014, 03:34 AM
The hat getting the axe is nothing but great news. I also heard Disney is shutting down the stupid Jack Sparrow thing so it is good to see DHS getting ready for a major overhaul.

roodlesnouter
10-25-2014, 04:21 AM
I just checked maps and it would fit in the entry plaza by the waterfront.

:wave:

Ad0niS8
10-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Yeah Eisner was the king of giant landmarks that weren't thought all the way through. Space ship earth 2000 was also quite impressive.

testtrack321
10-25-2014, 02:20 PM
I'd eat my hat if they move it, Disney won't waste money to move it, and why would they rebuild a new one? The concept of having it by the water is an old one back when the ears were ferris wheels.

natespf
10-25-2014, 02:42 PM
I'd eat my hat if they move it, Disney won't waste money to move it, and why would they rebuild a new one? The concept of having it by the water is an old one back when the ears were ferris wheels.

IDK I think I kinda like it, just hate the location. This should not be located inside a themepark as it is a theme killer, gives it more of a amusement park feel. Thought it could be nostalgic for younger folks, as they may have never seen the park without it. It could also be cool as some sort of booth in Downtown Disney, possibly a one stop ticket and reservation center.

I tried to figure out if it would actually be relocatable, and it seems the "shell" could be taken apart. They may just need to build an adequate base for it.

Next Big Thing
10-25-2014, 04:41 PM
I feel like you may be eating your hat.

I wonder if at the WDW Destination D this year they will announce anything.

tielo
10-25-2014, 06:15 PM
Whatever Disney is going to build in all those closed location, they still aren't building. I guess 2029 will be a nice year or is that to early.
And why do Disney guests get upset when a stupid store in the shape of a cheap looking hat is taken down. Maybe they transplant it to Fantasmic in an attempt to make that drab location of another tired show a tiny bit more appealing (and fail if that show isn't upgraded yesterday).

blue180
10-26-2014, 02:15 PM
I see they're closing the Pirates attraction also. No Backlot Tour, American Idol, Sounds, AFI exhibit or Pirates. None of these were very good attractions, but what the heck, there is no capacity in that park now with so few attractions. I actually like DHS, but lines for existing attractions will be so long come the busy season with no replacements in sight. As someone said over at WDW Magic, may as well just shut the park down for the next 3 or 5 years until new attractions are built...Great to see the Hat going though. That was one ugly entrance for the park sight lines.

could you imagine if they did something like that? shut the park down for some time and revitalize it? I mean if all these attractions are shutting down, what the heck is going to be left? not much!

Cole
10-26-2014, 02:48 PM
Will there be a ticket price decrease? If not....oh lord

Milla4Prez66
10-26-2014, 11:05 PM
I hope they don't close the park during the renovation, I'd hate for all those people who work at DHS to be out of a job.

Next Big Thing
10-26-2014, 11:38 PM
Will there be a ticket price decrease? If not....oh lord
I know most people will probably see your comment and laugh, but there is precedent of Disney doing this. During the DCA redo, Disney did lower prices for at least part of the re-do time when things were really bad and before much had opened. And at the point of the DCA redo, they had more to do.

Cole
10-27-2014, 07:45 AM
I know most people will probably see your comment and laugh, but there is precedent of Disney doing this. During the DCA redo, Disney did lower prices for at least part of the re-do time when things were really bad and before much had opened. And at the point of the DCA redo, they had more to do.
That's good to know, could you imagine paying a hundred for like 5 rides? It needs to be decreased because it would be robbery

Jon84
10-27-2014, 08:15 AM
That's good to know, could you imagine paying a hundred for like 5 rides? It needs to be decreased because it would be robbery

Only difference is that people visiting DCA are probabaly often buying day tickets as the parks tend to have more locals than tourists.

However in WDW it is probabaly a family on a longer vacation and they will have multi-day tickets, which probabaly will not change price.