PDA

View Full Version : OU Forum 3.0 - Tons of New Features!

Sledge
05-14-2009, 06:52 AM
You may or may not have noticed the huge new updates to the Orlando United forum. We wanted to keep the overall look and feel, but once you explore a little bit you will see some amazing new things. Here is just a handful of what you'll find:

- Profiles
Profiles are now bigger and better! Your profile now has some extra features which allows your friends to comment on your page. It will also display links to your friends profiles, your social groups, and your photo albums. You have the option of various levels of privacy which you can edit in your User CP. As if that wasn't enough, you can also edit the look of your profile page by going to your User CP and clicking on Customize Profile (http://orlandounited.com/forums/profile.php?do=customize). You also have the option of Hiding User Customizations for other members.

- Social Groups
Now for the very first time you can create social groups within the forum. You can find the Social Groups feature by clicking the drop down menu in the Nav Bar labeled Community. Members are allowed to create and maintain up to three different groups. These can range from celebrity fan pages, to sports fans, to hobbies. If at some point you grow tired of maintaining the group, you can transfer it to another member. We encourage everybody to get involved, but to use good judgment when creating groups.

- Albums
Members are finally able to create their own photo albums in which other members can comment on. All users are allowed to upload up to 50 different 600X600 images. However, VIP users will be allowed to upload 150 pictures. You can upgrade here (http://orlandounited.com/forums/payments.php).

- Enhanced Private Messaging
Private messaging has never been easier or more convenient. One of the new features allows you to sort and filter your private messages. Second, you can also Quick Reply to PMs much like you've been able to do in threads. Also, when you and another user reply back and forth to one another, you can now quickly and easily see the Private Message History between the two of you. It will remain hidden by default, but once you click View History all the PMs that have not been deleted from your boxes will be displayed.

- Notifications
Instead of receiving an alert for new PMs, you will also receive Notifications located in the same spot that also include Picture Comments, Profile Comments, Social Group Updates and Requests.

- Bookmarks
At the bottom of every thread you will find bookmarks. These make it super quick and super easy to share the thread with others. For example, by clicking the Facebook icon OU will automatically gather the thread title, link, and description for you and have it ready to send to your friends or post on your Facebook wall. This feature supports Facebook, Digg, Google and Twitter.

- Tags
When you create a new forum you have the option of adding up to 25 tags. This helps users find the thread easier.

So what do you guys think?

Sal
05-14-2009, 07:13 AM
I love the new Features! I was playing around with the profile controls and its pretty cool. The Picture albums is a very nice touch, I just uploaded some pic's if anyone would like to check it out they are in my profile page. Thanks for the great updates!

Beachgurl
05-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Seems cool, but its going to take a hot minute for me to figure everything out. :lol:

DisneyFanKevin
05-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Sounds cool! Thanks a lot, guys!! :D

ralphoutloud
05-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Thank you dear sire, for you have increased my Orlando United pleasure reception.

Stuff is wicked, just have to figure out the social networking stuff now, but this could lead to great things.

ghostrider455
05-14-2009, 11:37 AM
So far it looks awesome, nice job!

peaches magee
05-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Lots of new stuff! Geez, I need to mess around with it to figure it out and get used to it too. But major improvement to the site, great job guys! :thumbs:

Sledge
05-14-2009, 03:31 PM
The learning curve for the major things is probably 30 minutes to an hour. After that you may see some small upgrades.

Has anyone ran into any problems yet? PM me if you have.

YETI PINTRADER
05-14-2009, 04:37 PM
This is some really great stuff. I can not wait to check around.
Note: Where's the dOUgh?????

BigAl_PT
05-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Will you be able to link to pictures in your albums in the forum? Like instead of posting a picture to Flickr or photobucket or picasa, etc... could you post a picture from your album on here in a forum? That way I may be able to to actually SEE some of the pictures people post while I'm at work.

BriMan
05-14-2009, 06:39 PM

dOUgh was added to the site in it's beta stage. We were planning on the full release to be ready by the time we upgraded the site to 3.8. However, the author of the program has kept delaying it. We may bring it back though, once it's finally released. :thumbs:

Will you be able to link to pictures in your albums in the forum? Like instead of posting a picture to Flickr or photobucket or picasa, etc... could you post a picture from your album on here in a forum? That way I may be able to to actually SEE some of the pictures people post while I'm at work.

Sledge
05-14-2009, 06:41 PM

Yes, look at my picture and look underneath it. You'll see a link to the album and the IMG tags to make posting it quicker.
http://orlandounited.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10&pictureid=36

On an indefinite hiatus. May or may not be back in the future. It was causing problems with some of the features on the forum, and the add on to the dOUgh system keeps getting delayed. We asked a few people and it was pretty unanimous that it wasn't all that important to keep around in it's current state.

Jakemeister
05-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Everyone who hasn't joined the group "HHN Addicts" should.

peaches magee
05-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Everyone who hasn't joined the group "HHN Addicts" should.

Joined. :thumbs:

The photo albums thing is a GREAT addition!

Jakemeister
05-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Would I be correct by assuming that the '+' besides peoples names meant they were on my friends list?

BriMan
05-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Would I be correct by assuming that the '+' besides peoples names meant they were on my friends list?

You assume correct sir. :thumbs:

Sledge
05-14-2009, 09:59 PM
That's exactly what it is.

Scarletwebslingr
05-14-2009, 11:19 PM
On an indefinite hiatus. May or may not be back in the future. It was causing problems with some of the features on the forum, and the add on to the dOUgh system keeps getting delayed. We asked a few people and it was pretty unanimous that it wasn't all that important to keep around in it's current state.

Yea, if dOUgh doesn't actually amount to any use and hinders forum features then it was a worthy sacrifice. Good call. :thumbs:

Jakemeister
05-15-2009, 06:07 AM
Could you fully explain the awards? The green and orange bar would be for next user rank, and max user rank?

Sledge
05-15-2009, 06:18 AM
Not quite yet. It is a feature I am working on and will hopefully have up and running by later today. It's like dOUgh on steroids... times ten. You'll love it.

Jakemeister
05-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Not quite yet. It is a feature I am working on and will hopefully have up and running by later today. It's like dOUgh on steroids... times ten. You'll love it.

I found the link that explained most of it so I get it for the most part. :thumbs:

Beachgurl
05-15-2009, 09:57 AM
What are the little medals for?

And why am I Gamma Radiated?????? I had a little over 2,000 posts!

annabannaboo
05-15-2009, 10:01 AM
The medals are awards for most reputation received, most befriending, most posts, most active, ect. If you click on the Experience link on top it shows you all of the stats..and stuff. lol

ralphoutloud
05-15-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm just getting the hang of the social networking thing, but I'm still having trouble customizing my profile. It's pretty hard to get a cool design, so I ended up with something basic. It is basically like Facebook though, which is pretty sweet.

EDIT: I have the same issue as Angela, I was Gamma Radiated, but now I'm back to being a Hitchhiker, what's the deal homie?

BigAl_PT
05-15-2009, 11:52 AM
dOUgh was added to the site in it's beta stage. We were planning on the full release to be ready by the time we upgraded the site to 3.8. However, the author of the program has kept delaying it. We may bring it back though, once it's finally released. :thumbs:

Yes. For example:

http://orlandounited.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=36

That is from Jason's OU Album.
AWESOME! I actually see that picture!!!

And I have to ask what the green activity bar is for and how it's calculated.

Sledge
05-15-2009, 02:15 PM
AWESOME! I actually see that picture!!!

And I have to ask what the green activity bar is for and how it's calculated.

That will all be explained in a large post late tonight or tomorrow.

I'm just getting the hang of the social networking thing, but I'm still having trouble customizing my profile. It's pretty hard to get a cool design, so I ended up with something basic. It is basically like Facebook though, which is pretty sweet.

EDIT: I have the same issue as Angela, I was Gamma Radiated, but now I'm back to being a Hitchhiker, what's the deal homie?

I'm working on getting this fixed.

BigAl_PT
05-15-2009, 06:02 PM
That will all be explained in a large post late tonight or tomorrow.
Ohhhh ok. I wait with baited breath. I'm on the edge of my seat.

bprough
05-22-2009, 02:08 PM
No more arcade

BriMan
05-22-2009, 03:19 PM
No more arcade

Yes, we did axe it for a couple reasons.

1. Not many people were using it.

2. It was not compatible with the new forum.

BigAl_PT
05-22-2009, 04:14 PM
So what happenned to the green activity bar?

BriMan
05-23-2009, 12:22 AM
So what happenned to the green activity bar?

Had a lot of kinks. :lol:

mortimer
05-23-2009, 02:09 AM
I just wanted to say that it's possible for someone new who came here for vinylmation only to never see this page that has a lot of info on it. I hope that makes sense.

(I know you've done a lot of new work recently - thanks).

BriMan
08-27-2009, 02:59 AM
I just want to remind everyone that you still have access to all these great features on the boards. :thumbs: