PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Megastore to close at DTD

kristilovesdw
03-02-2009, 05:32 PM
The last 5 remaining Virgin Megastores, including the Downtown Disney store, will close by summer of 2009 according to The Wrap (http://www.thewrap.com/article/1648).

YETI PINTRADER
03-02-2009, 05:35 PM
I was only ever in that once. It was huge and everything seemed overpriced. I wonder what they are going to do with it once it closes. DisneyQuest expansion? :shrug:

Justin
03-02-2009, 05:53 PM
What a shame, did seem a little out of this world in prices. What would be very amusing is IF they did expand DQuest, but sadly I feel that even in itself is passed its prime because when I went 5 some odd years ago even then it wasn't that crowded... But to see that huge store just sit vacant would be sad. It would be interesting if another big name store stepped in, but in this economy, who knows.

JTWDisneyLovers
03-02-2009, 06:00 PM
I never even stepped foot into it because I knew it would be overpriced.

ralphoutloud
03-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Nooooooooooooooooo! Virgin was an awesome store, although prices were like an FYE, it was a cool place to browse.

BigAl_PT
03-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Nooooooooooooooooo! Virgin was an awesome store, although prices were like an FYE, it was a cool place to browse.
Agreed...fun place to "shop" but not to "buy." :shrug:

BriMan
03-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Expect great discouts. :lol:

BigAl_PT
03-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Expect great discouts. :lol:
Much like the ones I got at Circuit City recently on numerous occasions. DVDs, Blu-Ray 40-50% off. iPod/iPhone docking stations with speakers 50% off.

Disneyhead
03-02-2009, 07:02 PM
OK so aside from the Ghost Town formerly known as Pleasure Island, now the Virgin MegaStore is closing and I have also heard that Staribillias will be history by July.
Wow and CityWalk just keeps adding.

Drew
03-02-2009, 07:21 PM
The last 5 remaining Virgin Megastores, including the Downtown Disney store, will close by summer of 2009 according to The Wrap (http://www.thewrap.com/article/1648).

This is sad news. The one here in New York is in the process of closing.

Overpriced? Some new releases are but you can find so many great deals in that place. $10 DVD's galore. The store was awesome. I heard a Disney store might replace the Virgin in Times Square.

tiredoldspook
03-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Record stores, as us oldies called them are dinasours destroyed by download and Walmart. Maybe they will start a vinylmation studio in there.

SpyderDan
03-02-2009, 08:02 PM
This is definitely sad for me because in spite of the high prices, I went in there often and bought a few things. I'll miss it. But I will say this...bring on an ESPN Zone!

Beachgurl
03-02-2009, 08:28 PM
They weren't all bad when it came to prices. I've done a lot of shopping there. They have some good deals on movies sometimes.

peaches magee
03-02-2009, 10:30 PM
I love the tee shirts there and all the obscure little toys and trinkets.
Fantastic comic & graphic novel selection.
Though I never got to go often. Still, kinda sucks, was a very cool looking store.

allienoves
03-02-2009, 10:38 PM
I think only tourists paid those ridiculous overpriced things in the store. It was only there for tourists. But now with internet, you can all order all the stuff to your house without even getting up off your butt. And we wonder why all these stores are closing?

Uncle_Darren
03-03-2009, 05:08 AM
It's a shame it's closing ... if it is.
I brought the Posies Box set form there it was priced up at $59.99, which is a good price as it has been deleted for many years . Took it to the counter and it came up as $9.99!!!

Jakemeister
03-03-2009, 06:36 AM
http://www.anaitgames.com/wp-content/darth_vader_nooo1.jpeg

This was my favorite place to shop at Disney. DTD is getting hit a lot harder than I expected. All this is happening so drastically. I hope T-Rex stays open, I wanna check it out.

phino
03-03-2009, 08:09 AM
hmm... i wonder if they will have a sale like they did for the miami one...

i don't know why they are doing this to DTD. :( terribLe!

Uncle_Darren
03-03-2009, 09:35 AM
it does make you wonder what plans they have for the area. becuase it will look like a bit of a ghost town.

Beachgurl
03-03-2009, 09:40 AM
it does make you wonder what plans they have for the area. becuase it will look like a bit of a ghost town.

Yeah... the store itself is such a huge space. I have no idea what they could put in there to take up all that space.

Disneyhead
03-03-2009, 10:21 AM
That place would hold a LOT of plush, pins and Vinyls. The WoD store is always SO busy, I can see them making a WoD Westside.

Beachgurl
03-03-2009, 10:27 AM
That place would hold a LOT of plush, pins and Vinyls. The WoD store is always SO busy, I can see them making a WoD Westside.

I would be mad. That would be so unnecessary. :lol:

Jason is hoping and praying for a huge ESPN Zone type thing. haha

Disneyhead
03-03-2009, 10:28 AM
ESPNZone wold be my choice. I like them a lot, but it would take business from DQ.

Beachgurl
03-03-2009, 10:30 AM
DQ is so boring these days anyway. IMO they should get rid of that. I mean, spend $20 more and go to the actual theme park instead of that virtual reality bull.

SpyderDan
03-03-2009, 12:28 PM
If they don't use this opportunity for an ESPN Zone, I'm gonna be upset.

peaches magee
03-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Online music sales are what killed it apparently...

Virgin Megastore CEO Simon Wright announced that they would be closing all Virgin Megastores around the country this summer, including the one at Downtown Disney West Side. The projected closing date is May 31, 2009. Located near House of Blues and Disney Quest, this is one of the largest buildings at Downtown Disney West Side and its closing will leave a major void in that area. I am sure it won’t be long until Disney accepts a bid to fill that spot. With the new age of online music stores catering to iPods and mobile devices, the brick and mortar music establishments are having trouble keeping up with the “download era”. If you own an iPod, when was the last time you purchased a CD?

It is said that roughly 100 corporate employees will be laid off in addition to hundreds of retail workers. Downtown Disney is one of six stores across the country.

disunplugged.com

phino
03-03-2009, 01:49 PM
sad, so sad. =T as for DQ, i only go there for the Chili Cheese Fries and my game, OUTRUN2. :) You can find my records there, numero uno! heh. DQ was set to close down, and had talks about that as well, no idea whats up with that. But you can count on them having more stores out there. =T bLeh

SpyderDan
03-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Online music sales are what killed it apparently...

disunplugged.com

Haha I own an ipod and I still buy CDs.

Disneyhead
03-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Guilty as charged. I download almost all of my music for free from a site called bt.etree.org They specialize in JamBand stuff and most is either flac or shn. And a lot of it is soundboards from the artists themselves. They have some really good, very current stuff. I just downloaded 2 moe shows from this past Friday and Saturday nights.

Live Musics Rocks!

patrok65
03-03-2009, 08:43 PM
o well can't wait to see what they stick in that place

Disneyhead
03-03-2009, 08:52 PM
I bet they put in a Walmart Supercenter. :P

kristilovesdw
03-03-2009, 11:16 PM
It's not closing til May 31? Hmm kind of a ways off. Anywho I'm pretty disappointed, I always make it a habit to stop in there when I'm at DtD. Ah well hopefully something even better will fill the space... a very large space at that. I don't even know what could possibly fill such a large space besides the thought of the ESPN Zone thing, maybe something like and Barnes and Noble, quite possibly? I remember reading somewhere that was a possibility awhile back, can't remember how far away a B&N actually is from WDW.

Disneyhead
03-03-2009, 11:21 PM
They are closing it just in time for it to be a big giant empty box for the summer high season. Along with the big empty PI. DtD is going to ROCKIN' this summer.....NOT!!!!!

Uncle_Darren
03-04-2009, 02:15 AM
They are closing it just in time for it to be a big giant empty box for the summer high season. Along with the big empty PI. DtD is going to ROCKIN' this summer.....NOT!!!!!

With them closing it that early.
I think they may already have a replacement lined up.

DisneyFanKevin
03-17-2009, 09:49 AM
And that replacement could be Apple....

From Screamscape:

"It’s been about a year since I’ve heard this rumor, but the story that Apple may be interested in taking over the Virgin MegaStore location, to create the world’s biggest Apple store has come up once again. Of course this wouldn’t just be to sell hardware, as the story goes the new concept may actually sell the same kinds Multimedia stuff that Virgin Megastore did. Anyone know more?"

snoman
03-17-2009, 10:19 AM
You would think it would have to be a similar concept as it is now because honestly, who goes on vacation and impulse buys a new computer? Especially in this economy.

Drew
03-17-2009, 10:20 AM
The New York one is having blowout sales so I'm sure the DTD one is too. All DVD's were 40-60 percent off when I went last week. I got Role Models, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and Pineapple Express for about $45. Good deal.

The Apple store might not be that great of an idea. DTD is probably mostly tourists. Are they really going to buy iPods on vacation?

We are getting some women's clothing store, Forever21, as a replacement. Yuck.

Beachgurl
03-17-2009, 10:43 AM
I HOPE we don't get an Apple store in DTD.

GAGGGGG

I need to head over there and see if there are some good sales going on yet.

kirby_is_kyaan
03-17-2009, 01:42 PM
It's a shame it's closing ... if it is.
I brought the Posies Box set form there it was priced up at $59.99, which is a good price as it has been deleted for many years . Took it to the counter and it came up as $9.99!!!

Wait, people actually listen to them? :lol: The only way I knew of them was because a few songs by them came with my computer.

Virgin Megastore CEO Simon Wright announced that they would be closing all Virgin Megastores around the country this summer

So does that mean that those outside of the country are staying open? I was in Paris this summer, and there were not one but TWO Megastores! :yikes: My brother got an overpriced PSP game there.

SpyderDan
03-17-2009, 04:01 PM
And that replacement could be Apple....

From Screamscape:

"It’s been about a year since I’ve heard this rumor, but the story that Apple may be interested in taking over the Virgin MegaStore location, to create the world’s biggest Apple store has come up once again. Of course this wouldn’t just be to sell hardware, as the story goes the new concept may actually sell the same kinds Multimedia stuff that Virgin Megastore did. Anyone know more?"

Not very exciting. I don't know why that would be any more successful than Virgin. What do I gotta do to get my ESPN Zone? Do they want me to beg? Eh, actually, ESPN Club's good enough anyway.

Uncle_Darren
03-17-2009, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=kirby_is_kyaan;53516]Wait, people actually listen to them? :lol: The only way I knew of them was because a few songs by them came with my computer.
QUOTE]

To be honest the last album sucked and the 2 songs that appear on Vista is from the last album.
the stuff from the early 90's was really good 'Frosting on the Beater' from 1993 was at the compared to Nirvana's 'Nevermind' as an insperational album and set the tone for a few other 'grunge' and 'Power Pop' bands to try and go down the same road.

YETI PINTRADER
03-17-2009, 05:43 PM
No not Apple. Anything but apple. I am completely anti-apple especialy Ipods.

BigAl_PT
03-17-2009, 05:49 PM
I bet they put in a Walmart Supercenter. :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's definitely one of the funniest posts I've read on here since joining. AWESOME! :rep:

kristilovesdw
04-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Saw this and thought I'd pass it along...

Virgin Megastore at Downtown Disney to be replaced with an AMC Imax theater?

The official AMC Theater website is indicating that it is set to open a new IMAX Theater at Downtown Disney. No specific date is given, except the "Coming Soon" tag. This raises the question as to whether Disney have been able to secure a deal with AMC to install this new IMAX theater in the former Virgin Megastore. The size, location and scale would certainly seem a perfect match.

FutureOrlandoer
04-05-2009, 09:00 PM
My brother got an overpriced PSP game there.

True that. I bought Ghost Recon Advanced War fighter there for $50. after i got back home from there. went to a video game store the next day and there was the SAME game for $20.
CLOSE VIRGIN DOWN!!!!!!!!!!! Overpriced AC/DC CDS, overpriced video games, overpriced almost everything.

DisneyFanKevin
04-05-2009, 10:09 PM
I thought that everything at Virgin Megastore was priced reasonably. They're a great company and they know what they are doing.

BriMan
04-05-2009, 11:43 PM
I thought that everything at Virgin Megastore was priced reasonably. They're a great company and they know what they are doing.

Obviously not if they are closing down...:lol:

kirby_is_kyaan
04-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Saw this and thought I'd pass it along...

Well, what will they do with the old theater then? Either way, you've got a gaping chunk of DTD that needs to be filled... especially with no Pleasure Island around.

No not Apple. Anything but apple. I am completely anti-apple especialy Ipods.

Hmmm... so what MP3 player and music-playing program do you use then? And would you mind explaining a bit why you hate Apple so much? I prefer Apple over Windows, but not by a huge margin-Vista works just fine as a visually fancy (and no longer infamously unstable, the updates have fixed that) Windows XP.

Beachgurl
04-06-2009, 09:23 AM
I HATE Mac computers... but I love my iPod. :lol:

I use a Mac and a PC and I love my PC so much more.

Back on the topic of Virgin though, not everything is overpriced in there. Sometimes they have some good deals going. You just have to know how to shop. :lol: I guess if you're just visiting on vacation though you can't really check back every couple of weeks for the bargains.

kristilovesdw
04-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Well, what will they do with the old theater then? Either way, you've got a gaping chunk of DTD that needs to be filled... especially with no Pleasure Island around.

I'm pretty sure they'd leave the old theater the same just make the old Virgin store into an IMAX theater only, with possibly a bridge connecting the two buildings. Just a guess though :shrug:

SpyderDan
04-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm pretty sure they'd leave the old theater the same just make the old Virgin store into an IMAX theater only, with possibly a bridge connecting the two buildings. Just a guess though :shrug:

Now that would be sweet.

YETI PINTRADER
04-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Hmmm... so what MP3 player and music-playing program do you use then? And would you mind explaining a bit why you hate Apple so much? I prefer Apple over Windows, but not by a huge margin-Vista works just fine as a visually fancy (and no longer infamously unstable, the updates have fixed that) Windows XP.

I am using a 2007 samsung YP-T9J. To get my music I use CDs. The reason I am anti-apple is because I think that they are charging you to much for the name. When I got mine it was back when the older Ipods were out. My Samsung shows pictures and videos and I don't think that ipods had either of those features then. Mine also plays and records radio, and records voice. It also cost less than an Ipod.

wizard
04-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Too expensive, besides when away from home on a vacation, who wants to shop there? I can shop for these things at home.

Beachgurl
04-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Too expensive, besides when away from home on a vacation, who wants to shop there? I can shop for these things at home.

I mean seriously, what tourist is going to walk into the Apple store at DTD and say, "I think I'll buy a laptop" after having spent half their money out at the theme parks.

PinVamp
04-10-2009, 11:50 PM
I loved the weird stuff as well. The last day is the end of May!
I love the tee shirts there and all the obscure little toys and trinkets.
Fantastic comic & graphic novel selection.
Though I never got to go often. Still, kinda sucks, was a very cool looking store.

WDW 24/7
04-11-2009, 10:56 PM
I think the Apple store is a better possibility. I heard that AMC had retracted using the space for IMAX and may just convert the space they have. I would like it if they put in a full ESPN Zone like the one in DT Disneyland. I think that would be a better use of the space and then put the apple store where starabilia (or however you spell it) is.

PrinceCharmingsMom
04-26-2009, 10:04 AM
I hope they put in something other than another movie theater. They need something more exciting to draw guests there.

DisneyFanKevin
05-12-2009, 09:29 AM
I don't mean to bump up an old thread, but they announced Virgin will be closing at the end of business today instead of May 31. I think that totally, totally sucks.

Beachgurl
05-12-2009, 09:34 AM
I don't mean to bump up an old thread, but they announced Virgin will be closing at the end of business today instead of May 31. I think that totally, totally sucks.

Wait what? It's closing TODAY?

BriMan
05-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Apparently so from what I've read this morning. :lol:

snoman
05-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Crap, I was planning on making one more trip to check out the deals. boo.

kirby_is_kyaan
05-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Aw man! :(

Somebody run and get some stuff/pictures before it's too late! :lol: