PDA

View Full Version : i.d.e.a.s leaving DHS

kristilovesdw
02-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Screamscape is reporting that i.d.e.a.s is leaving DHS and moving to uptown Orlando... which means it's opening up alot room for expansion in the Pixar Place area, seems logical to me. Eh one can only hope! But it does makes me very curious to know what they have in mind for that area.

(2/23/09) Disney fans may remember the old original MGM Studios tour layout where after you finished the tram portion, you were dropped off to begin a “walking” portion of the tour that started out right where the current tram tour starts, complete with the water effects tank. From here you entered into the prop house, the special effects soundstage and traveled through corridors built into soundstages before where you could peek in on windows into the post production facilities before ending up in the big finale theater where the Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream film is currently shown as the big ending to the tour. While we know what has become of some of those other former walking tour areas, the actual post production facilty continued to be used as a real functioning area for all these years. As you can read here, what started off as a Disney group was spun off into it’s own private company back in 2001 known as “i.d.e.a.s.”, a division of another company called Integrity Arts & Technology, Inc.
This past week they announced that they would be departing their long-time home at the Disney Studios to move into a new facility in downtown Orlando in April. Now according to some industry insiders, they still actually had a couple of years left on their latest contract with Disney which has caused some to wonder why they have suddenly decided to move. According to one source Disney actually may have been the one to approach them, offering some kind of buyout offer for the early termination of the lease because Disney has a need to take over this space in the near future. The question is… what for?

BigAl_PT
02-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Screamscape is reporting that i.d.e.a.s is leaving DHS and moving to uptown Orlando... which means it's opening up alot room for expansion in the Pixar Place area, seems logical to me. Eh one can only hope! But it does makes me very curious to know what they have in mind for that area.
Very interesting article. I think the idea that Disney approached them is very logical and likely. The WDW execs know the popularity of the Pixar movies and their characters, and they would be fools not to capitalize on that. Now that they have Pixar Place in DHS, they have a place to put all of these attractions that really didn't fit in anywhere else on property.

Justin
02-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Now was I.D.E.A.S. in the building that would be used for that Monster's Inc coaster that is rumored around these parts? Or is that totally in the opposite direction.

kirby_is_kyaan
02-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Erm, what is i.d.e.a.s. anyway? I never heard of them anyway. :lol:

If this does give room for expansion, I'm all for it.

Disneyhead
02-23-2009, 02:13 PM
I.D.E.A.S. was originally Disney's post production (editing, graphics, sound design, etc.) facility called the Post Group. It was spun off as an independant company that became I.D.E.A.S.
I used to do some work out there becore Sky Dog Productions moved up to CIII at Universal.
The Post Group was a nice facility, but really bizaar in that because it was in the middle of actual production set, it was considered a construction zone, and everyong going in or coming out, by law, had to wear hardhats and steel toed boots. I was wierd to see the receptionist walking in in construction boot only to change into heels when she got inside. But most people didn't bother so there were a lot of professionally dressed people with boots on all day.

It is the building behind TSMM, in this building. To the left of it is costuming.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=nqsdfr862v7n&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=17485515&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

SpyderDan
02-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I'm a little confused as to what attraction they used to be part of.

Disneyhead
02-23-2009, 02:30 PM
It was part of the studio Tour. The first part was the tram tour, then you got off the tram, and walked through Costuming, Props, a green screen demo, the water battle thing and The Post Group. The original Studio Tour took over an hour to do the whole thing.

SpyderDan
02-23-2009, 02:32 PM
It was part of the studio Tour. The first part was the tram tour, then you got off the tram, and walked through Costuming, Props, a green screen demo, the water battle thing and The Post Group. The original Studio Tour took over an hour to do the whole thing.

Was that the backlot tour with Catastrophe Canyon that you mean? I remember that having a lot of walking at some point.

Uncle_Darren
02-23-2009, 03:37 PM
The original Studio Tour took over an hour to do the whole thing.

The Good old days!

kristilovesdw
02-23-2009, 03:43 PM
I.D.E.A.S. was originally Disney's post production (editing, graphics, sound design, etc.) facility called the Post Group. It was spun off as an independant company that became I.D.E.A.S.
I used to do some work out there becore Sky Dog Productions moved up to CIII at Universal.
The Post Group was a nice facility, but really bizaar in that because it was in the middle of actual production set, it was considered a construction zone, and everyong going in or coming out, by law, had to wear hardhats and steel toed boots. I was wierd to see the receptionist walking in in construction boot only to change into heels when she got inside. But most people didn't bother so there were a lot of professionally dressed people with boots on all day.

It is the building behind TSMM, in this building. To the left of it is costuming.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=nqsdfr862v7n&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=17485515&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Thanks for the link, I was trying to picture where exactly the building was located.

Was that the backlot tour with Catastrophe Canyon that you mean? I remember that having a lot of walking at some point.

That's exactly the one he's talking about. The backlot tour use to be so much better...

SpyderDan
02-23-2009, 04:42 PM
That's exactly the one he's talking about. The backlot tour use to be so much better...

Ah, I understand now. I haven't been on the tour in so long.

DisneyFanKevin
02-23-2009, 05:11 PM

Are you referring to CM Costuming??? If so, it's not located next to TSMM.

Disneyhead
02-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Are you referring to CM Costuming??? If so, it's not located next to TSMM.

No, not CM costumes, but actual costumes worn in Disney and MGM films, like Mary Poppins' and Scarlet O'Hara's dresses.

Meags912
03-07-2009, 09:05 PM
This is a really interesting rumor especially since the backlot tour is closed right now. I hope something new and exciting is coming. The backlot tour also needs a lot of help since there isn't much of the original tour left.

vtswordfish
03-09-2009, 09:14 AM
I was just at Disney HS last week and asked one of the cast members near the backlot why it was closed. They gave me the usual "refurbishment' business and told me that they were just painting some things. When I was leaving the Light, Motors, Action show you could see some construction type of work going on in the general direction of the old i.d.e.a.s. building but I couldn't really tell what they were doing.

Beachgurl
03-09-2009, 12:40 PM
I was just at Disney HS last week and asked one of the cast members near the backlot why it was closed. They gave me the usual "refurbishment' business and told me that they were just painting some things. When I was leaving the Light, Motors, Action show you could see some construction type of work going on in the general direction of the old i.d.e.a.s. building but I couldn't really tell what they were doing.

We went backstage on Saturday for our Muppets Speaker Event and walked all through the Backlot area and by the i.d.e.a.s. area and didn't see any construction going on.

Backlot is down because from what I understand they are installing the automated tour guide thing since they're doing away with actual guides.

BigAl_PT
03-09-2009, 03:27 PM
We went backstage on Saturday for our Muppets Speaker Event and walked all through the Backlot area and by the i.d.e.a.s. area and didn't see any construction going on.

Backlot is down because from what I understand they are installing the automated tour guide thing since they're doing away with actual guides.
**Sigh**

Can't they just leave it down for good? :rolleyes: