PDA

View Full Version : Woman Sues Disney over ToT

DisneyFanKevin
01-29-2009, 11:12 PM
I think this is someone wanting to milk Disney of money for something that shouldn't even be considered worthy of a lawsuit.

Source: www.cfnews13.com

Disney Sued Over Tower Of Terror Ride
Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:58:08 AM

LAKE BUENA VISTA -- An Orlando woman is suing Disney after she says management unfairly banned her from all parks.

Denise Mooty said she suffers from abdominal adhesions.

Abdominal adhesions are scars that form after surgery around the female reproductive organs, the bowel, heart, spine and hand. Adhesions can also form after an infection, chemotherapy and radiation.

The one and only thing she said helps relieve her excruciating pain is riding the Tower of Terror at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

According to Mooty's doctor, the force of the ride's drop actually helps break up scar tissue, allowing her to move around more freely.

"After we discovered what the ride had done, I started going on a regular basis, and I went from having four to six surgeries a year to one a year," Mooty said.

This is where the lawsuit comes in.

Mooty had a Guest Assistance Card, which allows her to go through a special entrance to get onto the ride.

She said in August 2008 an employee told her she wasn't allowed to have it anymore.

Mooty said she was then banned from ever coming back on property.

Disney Responds
Disney spokeswoman Andrea Finger issued this statement on Wednesday: "Ms. Mooty's claims are without merit. She was trespassed for causing a disturbance within the presence of other guests and using foul language toward a Cast Member."

kirby_is_kyaan
01-29-2009, 11:27 PM
It seems ridiculous to have banned her in the first place, just as it is for her to be sueing Disney. Another day, another Disney lawsuit relating to the parks.

peaches magee
01-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Of course it is.
Disney wouldn't ban someone "just because".
I bet it was some kind of misunderstanding and she just got insane nasty... that's my guess.

Disneyhead
01-29-2009, 11:38 PM
This came out in October and we had a huge discussion about this on the Laughing Place boards and Mrs Mooty actually dropped in for some comments.

http://mb.laughingplace.com/MsgBoard-T-101219-P-1.asp

Jakemeister
01-29-2009, 11:57 PM
She had to flip out on someone. Besides it seems like she was abusing her power.

peaches magee
01-30-2009, 12:05 AM
This came out in October and we had a huge discussion about this on the Laughing Place boards and Mrs Moot actually dropped in for some comments.

http://mb.laughingplace.com/MsgBoard-T-101219-P-1.asp

Wow. I dunno what to think about it... still all seems odd to me.

Disneyhead
01-30-2009, 12:14 AM
Me too. I was polite to her because I wanted her to keep talking. I still haven't figured out if she is crazy or not. I'm leaning more towards desperate and in pain.

peaches magee
01-30-2009, 12:32 AM
You handled her well. She seems a bit extreme.
I can understand how she feels as a mom and sick, its horrible... but I think that there was definately more to the story that this. :shrug:

d a n n y
01-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Why was she banned in the first place?

Disneyhead
01-30-2009, 08:45 AM
She had a perscribed treatment from a doctor that included repeated rides on ToT. She got a medical card from guest services and for three years, every Saturday she would ride ToT up to 20 times a day. She would use the medical card to either use the fastpass lane or the rear entrance. One day she came in the rear entrance, and a new CM lead told her she could only ride the ride 4 times and she couldn't use the back entrance. They got into it and Mrs. Mooty was banned from Disney property.

I think the change in policy came from Disney legal when they realized what was happening. The way the adhesions work is she is growing fibers that grow her internal organs together. The g forces can break them apart, but they could just as easily cause a ruptured organ and she would bleed to death from internal bleeding. It's a case of what doesn't kill her makes her feel better. I can see Disney wanting to stay as far away from this lady as possible.

snoman
01-30-2009, 11:52 AM
So maybe she could try bungee jumping?

tiredoldspook
01-30-2009, 03:48 PM
I want to go to this Doctor that writes this kind of prescription. I think if we dig deeper there is more to the story then the soundbite is telling.

snoman
01-31-2009, 11:33 PM
I want to go to this Doctor that writes this kind of prescription. I think if we dig deeper there is more to the story then the soundbite is telling.

Oooh, good idea Spook, maybe I could get this doctor to prescribe me to not work anymore and just feed gators hotdogs all day, :lol:

tiredoldspook
02-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Sno next time I get to Orlando we have to go do that,,,We can take Kevin

ChiefBrody
02-03-2009, 04:23 AM
She deserved to be removed from the park, but not banned. I mean, people jump queues all the time and are rude to CM's. But I do agree she shouldn't have taken advantage of something that is supposedly helping her, and feeling as though she has special privileges over other guests.

snoman
02-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Sno next time I get to Orlando we have to go do that,,,We can take Kevin

Hell yes!! Just give me a little notice and I'm there! :happy: