PDA

View Full Version : The Offical D23 Thread

DisneyFanKevin
01-07-2009, 08:06 PM
I found this on Disney's site after seeing a picture of a poster in Burbank. I wonder what this is for:

www.disney.com/23

ralphoutloud
01-07-2009, 08:12 PM
61 days....

That's when Pinocchio comes out on Platinum DVD and Blu-ray, March 10th.

So it probably may have something to do with that unless it's a coincedence.

DisneyFanKevin
01-07-2009, 08:15 PM
hmm, I don't think it has anything to do with Pinocchio, though. We shall see.

RocknGuitar
01-07-2009, 09:41 PM
I really have no idea what this could be. Disney is really loving putting promotions on their website now with the Muppets DCA Scavenger Hunt, and now this.

Dr. Emmett Brown
01-08-2009, 07:33 AM
WTF? :confused:

This is making zero sense....

FGCUSabre
01-08-2009, 10:25 AM
From another site on the net

In 1986, Steve Jobs purchased the computer graphics division of Lucasfilm Ltd & established an independent company labeled "Pixar."

23 hotels at WDW
23 attractions at Magic Kingdom when it opened
23 tons of trash produced each day at WDW (gosh, I hope we're not celebrating that.)
'23 is the year the Walt moved production to Hollywood
23 minutes is the length of two of the featurettes on Disney's DVD release of Prince Caspian.
23 shorts in the Pluto DVD
23 is the gap in years between Winnie the Pooh theatrical releases ended by the release of "(The/A) Tigger Movie"

1986 - Disney Channel goes 24/7 , Captain EO, Flight of the Navigator, Return to Treasure Island, Great Mouse Detective. If I remember correctly, wasn't Great Mouse Detective the first animated theatrical movie with computer animation.

1986 was also the last time Halley's Comet passed the Earth.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is scheduled to be rereleased on DVD on 3/10. So is Pinocchio and Return from Witch Mountain.

Also http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2009/01/counting-down.html seems to know the answer - saying its not pixar related

Roll N Fear
01-08-2009, 10:59 AM
I will still be 23. What do I win?

FGCUSabre
01-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Well if its your bday March 10th - disney will give you a free ticket to the park...lol ;-)

BriMan
01-13-2009, 03:35 PM
From Screamscape:

(1/13/09) The latest D-23 update claims that the whole initiative came forward last year when a Disney fan berated Iger over the fact that the company only caters to the casual Disney park fans and has abandoned the more dedicated intense long-term Disney fans. If the rumors hold true, people will apparently be asked to pay about $100 a year to become part of this new club which will be offered a bunch of new exclusive merchandise opportunities as well as setting up 1 or 2 fan events at the parks a year, with the first to take place in Anaheim.

Beachgurl
01-13-2009, 04:14 PM
:rolleyes: Of-freakin-course Disneyland gets it first.

Gah! Annoying.

tiredoldspook
01-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Wow Disney caters to the casual guest who spend 4 times the money as people who go all the time,,,hmmm weird.... I wonder if these people work in the real world or for the federal government?

tiredoldspook
01-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Hmmm are these the same people who complain because Dopey's hat was wrong at 2:45 pm on Sunday the 18th?

peaches magee
03-09-2009, 11:20 AM
On the disney event's page...

Dave Pacheco Product Release & Signing -"Are you 23?"
Date: Saturday, March 14, 2009
Time: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.

Join us as we welcome Disney Master Artist Dave Pacheco for a very special artist appearance and signing on Saturday, March 14, 2009. Dave will be on hand to sign a selection of artwork, a t-shirt and a pin featuring some of Disney's most beloved characters. Additional information about this exciting event will follow the March 10, 2009 announcement revealing the answer to "Are you 23?" To find out more about "Are you 23?" visit Disney.com/23.

Merchandise available while supplies last. A limited number of pieces will be available on the day of the event. We ask that only two (2) items be signed per Guest. We ask that you bring no personal items to be signed. Event merchandise must be purchased on the day of release at the event location. Valid Disneyland® Resort receipt may be required. Artist signing is subject to space and time availability and is not guaranteed. Artist will only sign their respective merchandise purchased on the day of the event only. Event information subject to change without notice. Separate admission is required to enter Disneyland® Resort theme parks.

Disneyland® DelivEARS and Walt Disney Event Services is unable to accept any phone calls, e-mails or faxes regarding this event at this time. More information will be available on March 10th.

Disneyhead
03-10-2009, 01:00 PM
So today is March 10th, and I went to the official website and it is still just the countdown, but it is now in negative numbers, and counting up. Too funny! Way to go Disney.

http://disney.go.com/23/twenty_three/preview/index.html

peaches magee
03-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Weird! Wth?

Beachgurl
03-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Wow Disney caters to the casual guest who spend 4 times the money as people who go all the time,,,hmmm weird.... I wonder if these people work in the real world or for the federal government?

I'm pretty sure I've spent more than the casual guest who comes once a year. :lol: Considering I go at least 3-4 times a week and am always spending money on food/drinks and occasionally merchandise. Trust me, in a year that all adds up. :lol:

Disneyhead
03-10-2009, 02:03 PM
OK, now the site has gone live:

http://d23.disney.go.com/index.html

peaches magee
03-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Is it like a club or something? Or just an insider type website?

Nevermind.. it's a quarterly mag. Pretty cool stuff on the site though. :thumbs:
I wanna subscribe

ghostrider455
03-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Its a club and quarterly mag. It is 75$ a year and will have exclusive events and merch.

Disneyhead
03-10-2009, 03:30 PM
The quarterly mag is just part of it. Yes, it is a club. Here is more details of what it entails:

Annual price: $74.99 A one-year D23 Charter Membership* includes:

Disney ''twenty-three'' Quarterly Publication: A one-year subscription (four issues) to D23's exquisite collectible magazine, filled with stunning photography, dazzling illustrations and the ultimate Disney insider perspective. It's your all-access pass to discovering the magic of Disney's past, present and future!

Membership Card and Certificate: Your membership card and personalized, suitable-for-framing charter member certificate feature many of Disney's most beloved characters drawn by Disney Master Artist David Pacheco.

Surprise Collectible Gift: A collectible just for D23 members. You'll receive a gift you'll cherish from the new Walt Disney Archives Collection.

Exclusive Special Events and Merchandise: D23 offers its members unique special-event opportunities throughout the year, as well as access to exclusive, limited-edition merchandise and collectibles.

D23 Expo: It's the ultimate Disney fan experience, taking place in Anaheim, California from September 10-13, 2009. This can't-miss event will feature guest speakers, celebrity appearances, breathtaking exhibitions, sneak peeks, film screenings, one-of-a-kind merchandise, and so much more! Admission will be discounted for D23 members.

Subscription to bi-weekly D23 FanFare e-newsletter with breaking news and special offers. (You may opt out of receiving FanFare after your first e-newsletter arrives.)

Plus, stay connected to D23 every day at Disney.com/D23, featuring up-to-the-minute Disney news, feature stories, event info, merchandise and more.

*Join by December 31, 2009 to be a D23 Charter Member

D23 memberships are non-refundable and non-transferable.

http://disneyshopping.go.com/disney/store/Product_10002_10051_1242507_-1_66520__Become-A-Member-D23-Membership-Kit

peaches magee
03-10-2009, 03:32 PM
I just tried to click the JOIN button and it was down. I really want to be apart of this. LOVE Disney so this is right up my alley. Just sucks the Expo is in Anaheim... of course. Maybe we will get it next year.

ghostrider455
03-10-2009, 03:44 PM
It's back up now, try it again.

Sledge
03-10-2009, 03:57 PM
So am I the only one not buying into the hype? :lol:

D23 Expo and Member Special Events: The D23 Expo – to be held at the Anaheim Convention Center from September 10-13, 2009 -- ... All Disney fans are welcome, but D23 members will receive a discount on Expo admissions and early access to the show daily.

So basically your $75 is going towards four 40-paged magazines, a certificate and early access to "a wide assortment of Walt Disney Archives Collection pieces".

It's no real secret that Disney doesn't really give a darn about their die-hard fans. Just take a look at the abomination that is the Disney Passholder's website or the fact that Epcot's 25th Anniversary had to be organized by fans long before Disney ever stepped in to "take over" because they were getting so much flack for not doing anything.

I also love how you will receive emails with the latest news. Keep in mind that this will only be what they WANT you to know. Reading OU or any fan site on the internet will give you the same information... plus the bad... plus the rumors on what's to come that they don't want you to know about. :yawn:

Sorry, but at least for now I'm not impressed. :bang:

Beachgurl
03-10-2009, 04:07 PM
I wasn't too excited either. At first I thought the Expo would be for members only so that might've given me reason to join, but since anyone can go to that I don't really see the point in joining the club.

peaches magee
03-10-2009, 04:07 PM

D23 Expo and Member Special Events: The D23 Expo – to be held at the Anaheim Convention Center from September 10-13, 2009 -- ... All Disney fans are welcome, but D23 members will receive a discount on Expo admissions and early access to the show daily.

So basically your $75 is going towards four 40-paged magazines, a certificate and early access to "a wide assortment of Walt Disney Archives Collection pieces".

It's no real secret that Disney doesn't really give a darn about their die-hard fans. Just take a look at the abomination that is the Disney Passholder's website or the fact that Epcot's 25th Anniversary had to be organized by fans long before Disney ever stepped in to "take over" because they were getting so much flack for not doing anything.

I also love how you will receive emails with the latest news. Keep in mind that this will only be what they WANT you to know. Reading OU or any fan site on the internet will give you the same information... plus the bad... plus the rumors on what's to come that they don't want you to know about. :yawn:

Though you peed all over it... :lol: you did shine a new light on it and you are actually right. 75 is a lot too. If it were 30-40, maybe.
I didnt think anything was really done for EPCOT's 25th? Which is ridiculous. I know a lot of fans were organizing meet ups and stuff, but did Disney ever do anything special?

Disneyhead
03-10-2009, 04:14 PM
I used to be a member of The Disney Club, but the only reason was that you got a discount on all things Disney. From DVDs to Hotel Rooms and Park Tickets. You also got a subscription to The Disney Magazine. And it only cost $25. $75 and the only discount admission is to an Expo I won't get to go to?

PASS!

ghostrider455
03-10-2009, 04:15 PM
I didnt think anything was really done for EPCOT's 25th? Which is ridiculous. I know a lot of fans were organizing meet ups and stuff, but did Disney ever do anything special?
Disney threw some stuff together once the fans had gotten a bunch of media attention for what they were doing.

Sledge
03-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Exactly. The fans pretty much did everything for Epcot and at the last minute Disney decided to do their own thing since the whole thing obviously made them look awful.

BigAl_PT
03-10-2009, 04:33 PM
I agree with the major sentiment on this site. I would be enticed to join...but the price tag is way too high for a quarterly magazine and a collectible upon joining. There's no way I could make most of (if not all) of the special events and I more than likely wouldn't purchase the vast majority of the special merchandise...even with the discount.

And does anyone else think that this is pretty poor timing to open this "club" in this type of economy??!

BriMan
03-10-2009, 04:39 PM
I agree with the major sentiment on this site. I would be enticed to join...but the price tag is way too high for a quarterly magazine and a collectible upon joining. There's no way I could make most of (if not all) of the special events and I more than likely wouldn't purchase the vast majority of the special merchandise...even with the discount.

And does anyone else think that this is pretty poor timing to open this "club" in this type of economy??!

I think Disney is in the minority group of "People who think 'It's not a recession, it's a slump'". :lol:

Here's a blogger that I happen to agree with.

http://epcot82.blogspot.com/2009/03/im-no-fool-no-sirree.html

Disneyhead
03-10-2009, 06:05 PM
BRING BACK THE DISNEY CLUB!

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5365/picturep.jpg

peaches magee
03-10-2009, 06:09 PM
My family used to be apart of The Disney Club. Something along those lines should be what they are doing now.
It's comes off as a cool idea, but for me, the prices tag PER YEAR is just too high for what it entails.
I love Disney and all but just can't swing it, because I would have to get it for 2 most likely. Not happening.

Disneyhead
03-10-2009, 06:16 PM
The Disney Club was $25, and basically gave you AP discounts and the now defunct Disney Magazine. This is what they need in these tough economic times. Not a $75 path to overpriced exclusive merchendise. Oh and a pin.

ghostrider455
03-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Well I went ahead and joined, I will let you all know how it is. I am willing to give it a shot for a year, hopefully they will do more things like the up screening.

peaches magee
03-10-2009, 06:33 PM
The Disney Club was $25, and basically gave you AP discounts and the now defunct Disney Magazine. This is what they need in these tough economic times. Not a $75 path to overpriced exclusive merchendise. Oh and a pin.

Exactly! $25 would have been perfect! And the discounts were great.

WvuGrrrl
03-11-2009, 02:06 AM

Definitely not the only one...and from what I've read on some other message boards, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's actually infuriated at this whole thing. :mad: Here's what I posted:

Well, I’d like to jump on the bandwagon and be one of the first to point out this is a case of "the Emperor has no clothes!" :confused:
The magazine itself is nice. Not great. But nice. Conceptually, it’s a good idea. But seriously, this stuff is kinda terrible. And waaaay overpriced. What’s even better? The super-overpriced stuff (like the $800 pen) aren’t even D23 exclusive - they’re just under the banner of “Walt Disney Signature Collection.” I’m just so underwhelmed - and I can’t imagine what Disney’s thinking - especially in this economy! Really, a Polo with 23 stitched on it? (Which again, isn’t D23-member exclusive). They may as well have printed shirts that say, “Are You An Idiot?.”
Furthermore, I’m kind of disgusted with the whole, “D23 is “The Official Community for Disney Fans” — the first of its kind in the Company’s 85-year history.” It seems to me like kind of a slap in the face for already-established communities like the Passporter, DIS, All-Ears, etc that have worked very hard to bring together groups of people that share the same love for Disney. And who, by the way, don’t have to CHARGE for it. To me, D23 is kind of like having to buy your friends. Speaking of which, for a so-called online community, where’s the message boards?
I’d rather they released 23 movies on Blu-Ray, as one of the rumors went. BTW, did anyone ACTUALLY get a notification email? Neither my husband nor I did. I’m glad that was just a ploy for Disney to get me to sign up to their emailing list. I’m sure I’ll be getting plenty of spam from them in the future. Ugh. I’m just so disgusted right now.

Sledge
03-11-2009, 02:16 AM
I believe "Are you 23?" actually refers to one's IQ level. I've heard rumors that Disney will also start selling ocean front DVC rooms in Arizona... D23 exclusive, of course.

Edit: La la laaaa. There was never a long, angry, anti-Disney COMPANY rant here. Move along people, nothing to see here. :lol:

WvuGrrrl
03-11-2009, 02:23 AM
The only good thing in Disney right now is John Lasseter. I'm sorry, but Iger is worse than Eisner, IMHO. :bang:

I'd give you a "Yeah That" icon, if you had one! The whole R U 23 thing has just opened my eyes even more. Say what you want about Eisner, but he seemed to at least "get it" about the Disney fans (even if he alienated non-Disney people even more). I just finished reading "Disney War" (http://www.amazon.com/DisneyWar-James-B-Stewart/dp/B000W3W6NO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236752512&sr=8-1) by James Stewart - a completely fascinating, unbiased book about the downfall of Eisner and the rise of Roy O and Bob Iger. I totally recommend it if you're wanting to compare the company "then" and "now."

Disneyhead
03-11-2009, 02:28 AM
After Frank Wells died I thought Eisner was the worst thing to happen to Disney. Especially after visiting Disney's California Adventure. I was wrong.

Sledge
03-11-2009, 02:35 AM
I'd give you a "Yeah That" icon, if you had one! The whole R U 23 thing has just opened my eyes even more. Say what you want about Eisner, but he seemed to at least "get it" about the Disney fans (even if he alienated non-Disney people even more). I just finished reading "Disney War" (http://www.amazon.com/DisneyWar-James-B-Stewart/dp/B000W3W6NO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236752512&sr=8-1) by James Stewart - a completely fascinating, unbiased book about the downfall of Eisner and the rise of Roy O and Bob Iger. I totally recommend it if you're wanting to compare the company "then" and "now."
People can say what they want about Eisner, but compared to Iger, I really like the guy. How many people could tell you what Iger looks like? Hell, how many people that aren't die hard Disney fans (or own stock) even know who Iger is? EVERYONE knew, and still knows, Eisner. He was a much more public figure and I appreciated his introductions at the beginning of each Wonderful World of Disney. Eisner also seemed to know, or at least acted like he knew, what the inside of a Disney theme park looked like. Iger, to me, seems very uninterested with the theme parks, so it's a good think we have Lasseter (maybe he'll even eventually start caring about WDW half as much as Disneyland!). Humor me, Iger. At least make up some BS about a new Disney Decade. I don't even care if 50% of it comes to fruition.

I think the Walt Disney Company is much more of a "rapacious, soul-less" company than it was back in the 90s.

Disneyhead
03-11-2009, 02:48 AM
I love Disney Corporat Culture stuff. I just wish Iger did. I NEVER thought I would say this, but I miss Eisner.

Now I have to go wash my mouth out with soap.

Beachgurl
03-11-2009, 09:45 AM
This whole D23 thing is really pissing me off. Disney just did this in an attempt to get the diehards to shut up about only catering to casual guests. I don't care how fancy-schmancy the magazine looks I'm not paying $75 to get 4 issues. I feel like that's really the only thing you're paying for to be in this club. Membership card and certificate? Please. I can MAKE that. As for the discounts, I already have access to a couple different types of discounts. Why would I pay for more of the same?

The ONLY thing about it that interests me is the Expo. We're already pointed out that you can go to that without being a member of the club though. But its like, if you can afford to fly out to California for that then it shouldn't be a problem to pay for a full price ticket to the Expo. :shrug:

DisneyFanKevin
03-11-2009, 11:47 AM
I also think that the whole thing is way ridiculous. Charging the same amount as a 1-day, 1-park ticket gives you basically squat? I don't think I'll give them my $75 unless they offer something better. And $849 for a pen? A PEN? Yeah. That's just wrong.

BriMan
03-11-2009, 12:03 PM
I also think that the whole thing is way ridiculous. Charging the same amount as a 1-day, 1-park ticket gives you basically squat? I don't think I'll give them my $75 unless they offer something better. And $849 for a pen? A PEN? Yeah. That's just wrong.

Agreed. Its like "Hey pay us $75, and you can pay us again for this pen."

peaches magee
03-11-2009, 12:10 PM
That pen price is just ridiculous!
I like the Disney & Oswald figurine, but a pen for almost a grand!!??
:confused:

Beachgurl
03-11-2009, 12:26 PM
I just read somewhere that the discount for D23 members to the Expo is $6.00 off.

WHOA BUDDY.

peaches magee
03-11-2009, 12:33 PM
I just read somewhere that the discount for D23 members to the Expo is $6.00 off.

WHOA BUDDY.

Anyone even know the price of admission to said Expo?

Beachgurl
03-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Anyone even know the price of admission to said Expo?

General Admission:
Adult 1-day $37
Child 1-day $27
Child 4-day $81 (4th day free)

D23 Member Admission (D23 members may purchase up to four discounted tickets per membership):
Adult 1-day $30
Adult 4-day $90 (4th day free)
Child 1-day $22
Child 4-day $66 (4th day free)

peaches magee
03-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Not as bad as I thought actually.

disneyfan168
03-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Am i the only one who bought the pen?:lol: I would pay to see the idiot how paid 850 dollars for a freakin pen.

peaches magee
03-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Read another good article on this matter... sooo true.
When I first saw "Online Community" I thought it was gonna be Disney's very own fan forum site. But no, of course not... too free. :shrug:

That's Just Dumb, Disney
By Rick Aristotle Munarriz

I'm a huge fan of all things Disney, but I find myself shaking my head at the family entertainment giant's launch of D23 yesterday.

Billed as the "first official community of Disney fans," D23 will offer members a quarterly publication, a Disney collectable gift, and discounts on special events, including the D23 Expo coming to Anaheim this September. One of the perks -- access to the D23 site, which features daily news and merchandise offers -- is available to non-members.

The catch, of course, is that the annual membership is priced at an economically insensitive $74.99. Unless that includes massive Disney Store and in-park deals, even die-hard, pin-trading Disney junkies are likely to balk at shelling out such a big a chunk of change for a "suitable for framing" certificate, a membership card, a tchotchke, and a glossy newsletter.

A bibbity bobbity blooper
Disney fans are so passionate about the company that they've already created free, lively online outlets such as Disboards, Mouse Planet, and AllEars.net. Even on Facebook, nearly 1.7 million fans congregate on the Disney fan page.

D23 should have probably been launched as an ambitious -- and free -- social networking site for Disneyphiles. That would have been a marketer's dream audience. Since it seems D23 members will be hit with a lot of opportunities to buy Disney merchandise, why not aim at as large an audience as possible? Instead, in this hard-knocks economy, Disney is asking folks to pay to receive glorified marketing material. Fat chance.

When CEO Bob Iger proposed a DVD rental club with an online streaming component earlier this month, the plan seemed plausible enough, given the premium competition in video services. But what's the competition for the $75 that Disney wants from D23 members?

Amazon.com charges $79 for Prime, giving members a year's worth of free two-day shipping on all Amazon-stocked merchandise.

Microsoft's Xbox Live offers a free Silver subscription, but diehard gamers pay $50 for a year of Gold, offering a year's worth of interactive gaming and streaming media goodies.

Netflix charges $8.99 a month -- or $107.88 a year -- for its cheapest DVD rental program, which offers unlimited online streaming.

Sirius XM Radio offers a family-filtered XM satellite radio subscription for just $11.99 a month, or $143.88 a year.

Six Flags will set you back just $59.99 for an annual pass, good at all of the chain's amusement parks.

Disney won't concede any of this, naturally. It would likely argue that its diehard fans will have no problem paying up for exclusive membership.

I think otherwise. By this time next year, I'd be shocked if the club is around in its present form. It'll be either dramatically enhanced to give Disney fanatics more bang for their Goofy bucks, or it will morph into either a much cheaper -- if not free -- program.

Fool.com (The Motley Fool)

BriMan
03-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Hey, they forgot Orlando United! :lol:

Great read though. Seems a majority of people aren't happy with D23.

peaches magee
03-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Hey, they forgot Orlando United! :lol:

Great read though. Seems a majority of people aren't happy with D23.

I was thinking the same thing, where is OU? :mad: hehe
Well the die-hards that cant see paying that much for some love think so for sure.

Sledge
04-04-2009, 04:50 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2uqjeq9.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2n9hu2p.jpg

Where the video/computer game display used to be...

http://i40.tinypic.com/2i7y3wi.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/12219ow.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/1zldgzo.jpg

WvuGrrrl
04-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Wow. Really? In One Man's Dream? They really are putting away the pretenses and just coming out with Walt's true vision - to fleece his fans. Way to go. :happy: (:mad:)

kirby_is_kyaan
04-04-2009, 11:30 PM
I know, that's going a bit far. I know that with D23 they seem to be focusing on the past, but advertising like that.... not really liking it. If they'll advetise D23, do what is done in the parks with the Vacation Club-it's easy to ignore and pass by if you want, and it even fits with the theme of the park area, like this little bit of scenery on Sunset Bouleveard:

http://i39.tinypic.com/6tehl3.jpg

YETI PINTRADER
04-05-2009, 09:46 AM
At least DVC is not getting put in a museum about Walt. Also the people at the DVC kiosk’s always have good pins to trade. :look:

BriMan
12-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Just wondering if anyone has joined the club?

BriMan
01-15-2010, 03:11 PM
D23 now offers tiered membership levels.

D23, which celebrates its first anniversary in March, has grown to encompass tens of thousands of members from more than 30 countries around the world. To mark the occasion, the only official Disney fan community introduced two tiers of membership, Gold and Silver, for the 2010 calendar year.

"D23 Members are the most passionate, excited — and exciting — Disney fans in the world, and D23 wants to constantly change, grow and expand to meet their needs," said Steven Clark, head of D23.

D23 Members in both the new Gold and Silver tiers will receive a membership card; a suitable-for-framing member certificate (for new members); opportunities to attend special D23 Member events throughout the year; access to exclusive, limited-edition merchandise and collectibles; and 2010 gift of "Disney Undiscovered: A 23-Month Calendar of Disney's Unrealized Masterpieces."

"Disney Undiscovered" presents rare and never-before seen images from Disney theme-park, live-action and animation projects that were not completed, many of which have achieved legendary status among Disney fans. The calendar features art from never-built project like the Mineral King ski resort and Walt Disney's St. Louis Project, theme park lands such as Discovery Bay at Disneyland and the Switzerland pavilion at Epcot, and unproduced films, including a watercolor from the original Little Mermaid that Walt had in early preproduction in the late 1930s.

In addition to all of these benefits of D23 Membership, Gold members will receive a one-year subscription to Disney twenty-three, a stunning, oversized collectible quarterly publication that brings new perspective and insight into Disney's past, present and future.

New in 2010, D23 Members will enjoy new discounts and offers. Members who show their valid D23 Membership card (with a photo ID) will receive discounts at many locations (http://d23.disney.go.com/articles/010410_NF_BN_DowntownDisneyDiscountsD23.html)in the Downtown Disney® District at Disneyland and at ESPN Zone locations (http://d23.disney.go.com/articles/010410_NF_BN_ESPNZoneD23.html) across the country.

Gold membership is $74.99 a year, and Silver membership is $34.99 a year.

rewster
01-15-2010, 04:31 PM
I wonder how come the D23 membership offers discounts at Downtown Disney in Anaheim, but nothing here in Orlando?

The "Disney Undiscovered" does sound really interesting...... I would consider a membership, but I'm not really feeling like there's much benefit to it. :shrug:

BriMan
10-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Tickets for Magic and Merriment go on sale tomorrow, October 26, 2010 at 10 a.m. PST/1 p.m. EST. Tickets are $235 per person.

Last year a delightful holiday tradition was born when D23 Members from across the country gathered at Walt Disney World to celebrate the sparkle of the season at D23's first Magic and Merriment event. Join us as we create heartwarming new memories this year.

The holly jolly happening begins the evening of Friday, December 10, when guests register for the event at One Man's Dream, the iconic Disney's Hollywood Studios attraction celebrating the legacy of Walt Disney. Inside the attraction, which is presented by D23, you'll also be treated to a private screening of Archiving the Archives, a new documentary celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Walt Disney Archives.

On Saturday morning, December 11, you'll enjoy hot holiday cider, flavored coffees and scrumptious Christmas Stollen inside the Odyssey Center at Epcot, where guests will be greeted by members of the D23 Team and some holiday surprises. Walt Disney World President Meg Crofton will be on hand to welcome guests and share some stories of the magic of the Resort at the most happiest time of the year. Chefs Erich Herbitschek and Stefan Reimer return to Magic and Merriment for another hilarious — and delicious! — baking demonstration sure to tempt your taste buds. You'll then be invited to spend the afternoon enjoying the holiday splendor of Epcot at your own pace before re-joining the group at the America Gardens Theatre as the sun begins to set.

As you nestle into your reserved seat, sit back, snuggle up and delight in the warm embrace of Walt Disney World's perennial Christmas favorite, Candlelight Processional. This time-honored tradition of classic carols and hymns sung by a choir of hundreds will be narrated by Disney and ABC star Whoopi Goldberg (The View, The Lion King). Following this special performance, you will be transported to Disney's Hollywood Studios for a sumptuous holiday feast on the incredible set of the Indiana Jones™ Epic Stunt Spectacular. After the park closes, you'll head over to New York Street for a private viewing of The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights during a special presentation hosted by Walt Disney Entertainment's John Phelan.

Sunday morning you will wake up to mix and mingle over brunch at the stunning Top of the World Lounge high above Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort. The Lounge, which offers a spectacular view of the Magic Kingdom Park, is usually reserved for Disney Vacation Club Members staying at Bay Lake Tower, but our friends at the Disney Vacation Club are opening it up just for you. Enjoy an inside look at this breathtaking building and even tour a Grand Villa, one of the most stunning suites at the Walt Disney World Resort!

After brunch, D23 Members will enjoy a very "suite" treat — exclusive tours of the stunning Dream Suite inside Cinderella Castle, high above Fantasyland. The suite is not open to the general public, so this will truly be a magical moment.

Come nightfall, celebrate together at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and relax at D23's private hospitality lounge on board the Liberty Belle steamboat for holiday treats, cocoa and cider. You'll also enjoy reserved viewing of Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Parade and the holiday fireworks extravaganza — Holiday Wishes: Celebrate the Spirit of the Season. And, of course, it wouldn't be a D23 event without a few seasonal surprises to commemorate the weekend! Happy holidays from your friends at D23!

Included with the cost of your ticket:*

Holiday cider, coffee and Christmas Stollen at the Odyssey Center (Saturday)
Special holiday presentations with special surprises (Saturday)
Guaranteed seating for Candlelight Processional at 5 p.m. (Saturday)
Dinner and dessert on the set of the Indiana Jones™ Epic Stunt Spectacular. (Includes wine and beer, Saturday)
Private presentation of The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights (Saturday)
Transportation to and from Epcot to dinner (Saturday)
Private brunch at the Top of the World Lounge in Bay Lake Tower with a behind-the-scenes look at the creation of the resort (Sunday)
Tour of the Cinderella Castle Dream Suite (Sunday; Sign up on Saturday morning)
Admission to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party (Sunday)
Private dessert and hospitality area on the Liberty Belle riverboat during the Christmas Party. (Sunday)
Reserved parade and fireworks viewing (Sunday)
Special gift for all guests from your friends at D23!

NOTE: Available only to D23 Members in good standing. Park admission is required and not included. Members may reserve a ticket for themselves and three (3) guests. D23 Members will be required to provide their membership number when reserving tickets. Tickets are very limited for this event. Tickets may be picked up only with a valid photo ID AND D23 MEMBERSHIP CARD. D23 Members who do not bring their membership card may not be admitted to the event. Ticketed Members who do not attend the event forfeit their place as well as all experiences, benefits, and gifts associated with the event. If you wish to request for sign language interpreting services for this event, please submit your request to feedback@disneytwentythree.com at least two weeks prior to the event date. All D23 Special Events are subject to change without notice. There are no cancelations or refunds, tickets are not transferrable.

* Park admission is not included and is required.

Vyrus
10-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Wow, that is quite a bit, but I admit you get a lot for that price.

BriMan
10-25-2010, 02:58 PM
I would love to do this. Can't do it this year, sadly, but hopefully they bring it back next year.

Sideshow Mike
11-16-2011, 01:47 PM
D23 events for next year have been revealed: From the official D23 website:

In 2012, D23: The Official Disney Fan Club will take the show on the road as it kicks off a yearlong celebration for D23 members with a bold lineup of fantastic events.

Throughout 2012, D23 will delight Disney fans from Boston, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and Palm Springs to Orlando, Burbank, and even Marceline, Missouri—Walt Disney’s boyhood hometown—with the thrill and excitement of unique Disney experiences.

“To help D23 celebrate its third “fanniversary,” we developed the most exciting lineup yet of special events to bring our members truly one-of-a-kind Disney experiences,” Steven Clark, head of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, says. “We’re excited to visit our fans all around the country, and to create events we hope will surprise and delight them.”

Starting the year are two new extraordinary experiences: D23′s Journey to Marceline and D23 Presents the Smoke Tree Ranch Roundup.

For the first time ever, a special tour of Walt’s boyhood hometown—Marceline, Missouri—will take place for D23 Members on March 14. Led by Disney archivists, the daylong Journey to Marceline explores this small town (population 2,221) in ways that will have special resonance for Disney fans.

In his later life, Walt found unique inspiration at Smoke Tree Ranch in Palm Springs, and during the incredible three-day Smoke Tree Ranch Roundup (January 23-25), D23 Members can experience this exclusive retreat in a completely unique way (click here to read more on Smoke Tree Ranch). In another first-of-its-kind immersive experience, Disney fans will get to see what Walt called “my own laughing place,” taking part in screenings, presentations, activities, and delectable meals, all while staying in a Smoke Tree Ranch cottage.

In the spring, D23 takes the party on the road with the D23 Fanniversary Celebration. It commemorates more than 40 unforgettable Disney magical milestones, each celebrating an anniversary in 2012. Hosted by Disney archivists, D23 Fanniversary Celebration events will be held in Orlando, New York, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, and Los Angeles and revisiting some of the most beloved Disney theme park attractions, animated and live-action films, TV series, and more from 85 years of Disney history. Fanniversary events will be open to the public, with special admission and surprises created especially for D23 Members in attendance.

In the summer, D23 will offer an all-new “Destination D” event, Destination D: 75 Years Of Disney Animation, held over the course of two days at the Disneyland Resort in California (August 11-12). As Disney marks the 75th anniversary of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, D23 marks the occasion by gathering many renowned Disney animation legends along with top Disney animators, voice talent (past and present), and composers—plus interesting demonstrations, fascinating presentations, autograph sessions, and the chance to see entertaining animation rarities from the Disney vaults—all in celebration of 75 years of Disney feature animation.

Throughout the year, D23 will continue its popular series of movie screenings at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank. With a new series, From the Vaults, D23 will bring favorite live-action films back to the big screen, including special 20th anniversary screenings of Newsies (February 25) and Sister Act (May 26), plus the classic Disney adaptation of Treasure Island (September 22). D23′s 50 and Fabulous series also returns in 2012, with In Search of the Castaways (June 23).

The year also includes four special weekends of D23 Member-only tours of The Walt Disney Studios and Walt Disney Archives in Burbank, which are planned for February 11-12, April 28-29, September 8-9, and November 10-11, doubling the capacity of these consistently sold-out D23 events.

In the fall, during Epcot’s International Food and Wine Festival, D23′s popular Sip & Stroll event gets a Halloween twist and becomes Sip & Scream (in October). And during the holiday season, D23 will again hold back-to-back presentations of its popular holiday offerings—Disney and Dickens (in Burbank in December) and Magic & Merriment (at Walt Disney World Resort; tentative dates: December 7-8 and 9-10), doubling your Disney holiday fun.

Look for more D23 events to be announced throughout the year, including details on an Epcot 30th anniversary celebration and a fun-filled D23 third anniversary party at the Disneyland Resort. All events and dates are subject to change.

hairyleo
11-16-2011, 05:11 PM
This sounds great! That's a lot of events they have lined up and some are going on tour :happy: I can't wait to hear more details.

BJCool
03-10-2012, 07:11 PM
The official D23 website (http://d23.disney.go.com/d23-expo-2013/) now reveals what the dates for next year will be.

D23 EXPO-THE ULTIMATE DISNEY FAN EVENT-RETURNS TO ANAHEIM, ONCE AGAIN BRINGING ALL THE MAGICAL WORLDS OF DISNEY UNDER ONE ROOF FROM AUGUST 9-11, 2013

All the magic and excitement of the past, present and future of Disney entertainment will come together once again when D23: The Official Disney Fan Club presents an all-new D23 Expo at the Anaheim Convention Center on August 9-11, 2013.

“The D23 Expo has become a phenomenal way for Disney fans to see everything they love about Disney all in one place – from Disney’s biggest stars and latest innovations to unforgettable performances live on stage,” said Steven Clark, head of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, which produces the bi-annual D23 Expo. “Our third Expo is sure to create even more magical new experiences and memories for our biggest fans attending from throughout the U.S. and around the globe.”

“Anaheim is extremely pleased that the D23 Expo will be returning next year,” said Charles Ahlers, president, Anaheim/Orange County Visitor & Convention Bureau. “This exciting event is quickly becoming an industry icon, drawing Disney fans from around the world. The Anaheim community truly appreciates and enjoys this quality show and positive impacts it brings.”

More than 40,000 Disney fans attended D23 Expo 2011, which brought together the entire world of Disney under one roof for three star-studded days and nights. Fans were treated to appearances by superstars like Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Regis Philbin and Billy Crystal; enjoyed performances by Dick Van Dyke, The Muppets and Disney princess voice talent Jodi Benson, Paige O’Hara, Lea Salonga and Anika Noni Rose; previewed concept art and attractions coming from Disney Parks and Walt Disney Imagineering; glimpsed back at Disney’s rich history through extraordinary panels, presentations and exhibits; and discovered the newest entertainment, technology, and products from The Walt Disney Company.

Among the highlights of D23 Expo 2013 will be expanded capacities at some of our most popular venues; the 2013 Disney Legends Ceremony, which honors the talented men and women who have made significant contributions to the Disney legacy; Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives, a treasure trove of crown jewels from the Walt Disney Archives; the bustling aisles of the Collectors Forum, where Disney fans can buy, sell and trade Disney collectibles, memorabilia and merchandise; and a massive show floor full of special opportunities to see what’s on the horizon for Disney around the world-and where guests may bump into their favorite Disney stars, characters, Imagineers, animators and filmmakers.

Advance tickets for the D23 Expo 2013 will go on sale at D23Expo.com beginning August 9, 2012. D23 Members receive special pricing on both one- and three-day tickets to the event, which is also open to the general public.

D23 Members receive early admission to the Expo show floor, and D23 will once again give a special thanks to D23 Charter Members, providing them special access to the Expo’s Charter Member Lounge. Members will also have an opportunity to purchase a special Sorcerer Package, which provides a host of special benefits and amenities.

D23 Expo 2013 marks the third D23 Expo held in Anaheim – the first Expo was held in 2009 followed by a second in 2011. Each event played host to thousands of Disney fans from every corner of the globe. Starting today, guests can visit D23Expo.com to relive some of the extraordinary experiences from the first two Expo events and get a peek at what’s to come in 2013.

UNIrd
03-10-2012, 07:25 PM
I might go to this. It'd be my first time and it's around my b-day next year.

HomerFan
08-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Anyone there today? Any big announcements yet?

rhino4evr
08-10-2013, 06:54 AM
Crickets

Next Big Thing
08-10-2013, 07:24 AM
This convention cannot be sustainable. This is two conventions in a row with no announcements for the parks (it's not over, but...). I've already seen reporters from some fairly big media outlets say they chose not to go this year. It's just not worth it. SDCC was last month so it's a bit of a hassle and not really worth it to go to an entirely different convention just for the Disney conglomerate. Vidcon was last week too. Withholding theme park announcements from fans, the core core audience of the expo, doesn't help any.

Hockeyman55
08-10-2013, 07:52 AM
I might go to this. It'd be my first time and it's around my b-day next year.

I believe its held every two years

Next Big Thing
08-10-2013, 08:14 AM
I believe its held every two years
That comment was from March 2012.

BriMan
08-10-2013, 09:26 AM
This convention cannot be sustainable. This is two conventions in a row with no announcements for the parks (it's not over, but...). I've already seen reporters from some fairly big media outlets say they chose not to go this year. It's just not worth it. SDCC was last month so it's a bit of a hassle and not really worth it to go to an entirely different convention just for the Disney conglomerate. Vidcon was last week too. Withholding theme park announcements from fans, the core core audience of the expo, doesn't help any.

Granted I didn't go to ComicCon, but that's why I didn't go this year. It was fine in 2011, but it just went over things we pretty much knew about. I mean ya, they had a few nice surprises; but nothing to go crazy about.

Hockeyman55
08-10-2013, 09:38 AM
That comment was from March 2012.

:bonk: whoops, I didn't notice that :lol:

Next Big Thing
08-10-2013, 09:43 AM
I was seriously looking into going to this years Expo earlier in the year when rumors were flying rampant about all these announcements we were supposedly going to get. I have some miles I could've used, hotel points and I have the Premier Passport as well, so ticket is covered too. Oh, btw, this is the last time i'll be getting the Premiere or likely anything more than a FL resident AP and parkhopper when I go to Disneyland - it's just not worth it anymore. Back on topic though, the trip would have been mostly free. As soon as I heard they weren't announcing anything this year, my interest sank and I just decided not to go. Pretty much, it just wasn't worth using my points and miles on something i'll ultimately be disappointed in (plus i've been to DL this year already).

BriMan
08-10-2013, 09:55 AM
I was seriously looking into going to this years Expo earlier in the year when rumors were flying rampant about all these announcements we were supposedly going to get. I have some miles I could've used, hotel points and I have the Premier Passport as well, so ticket is covered too. Oh, btw, this is the last time i'll be getting the Premiere or likely anything more than a FL resident AP and parkhopper when I go to Disneyland - it's just not worth it anymore. Back on topic though, the trip would have been mostly free. As soon as I heard they weren't announcing anything this year, my interest sank and I just decided not to go. Pretty much, it just wasn't worth using my points and miles on something i'll ultimately be disappointed in (plus i've been to DL this year already).

Yeah, I've been out west for the past 3 years on 5 different occasions (Disneyland twice) and I had enough of the 5 hour flight. :lol: My fiance and I seriously debated going this year, but ultimately decided to keep it local (aka Florida) for vacations and go big in 2014.

Skipper Justin
08-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Apparently they "recreated" the original Journey into Imagination at D23, video by DIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooCAV1AljNM&feature=youtu.be

hatetofly
08-10-2013, 03:07 PM
WTF is Disney doing!!! So you do nothing for new developments for a second straight convention, give not a lick of new material for a project announced three years ago, and now mock fans by recreating the original journey after building this pile of **** we have at Epcot. All while unveiling a sequel to a movie that lacks creativity and substance and is receiving horrid reviews. Where is the company I grew up with heading? I just can't figure this out. Anyone?

BriMan
08-10-2013, 03:39 PM
WTF is Disney doing!!! So you do nothing for new developments for a second straight convention, give not a lick of new material for a project announced three years ago, and now mock fans by recreating the original journey after building this pile of **** we have at Epcot. All while unveiling a sequel to a movie that lacks creativity and substance and is receiving horrid reviews. Where is the company I grew up with heading? I just can't figure this out. Anyone?

I smell article.. :lol:

Skipper Justin
08-10-2013, 03:46 PM

Their animated films are still good....

Teebin
08-10-2013, 03:51 PM
I believe that they just recreated the flying machine and it just sits there dead. The moving part of that video appeared to be a screen projection of the actual ride way back when. I would like to know what the point of the display was for.

hatetofly
08-10-2013, 04:43 PM
I believe that they just recreated the flying machine and it just sits there dead. The moving part of that video appeared to be a screen projection of the actual ride way back when. I would like to know what the point of the display was for.

The title of the exhibit was,

Yeah even we miss Eisner...

Oscar
08-11-2013, 01:44 PM
So no DHS or AK updates then I'm disappointed

jtsalien
08-11-2013, 03:14 PM
I'd really love to see some attendance and sales numbers for this thing. Disney has to be making a pretty hefty profit for almost no effort. Just trot out the Sherm Bros, some Disney legends, dust off some props, and then watch the sheep herd in. I'm sure people have their personal reasons for going, but those people are really part of the problem. If you don't expect more, they won't give you more.

Fallow
08-11-2013, 03:18 PM
This seems to be more of a "museum" than an expo. And honestly it looks like a ton of fun - for a really cool, decked out museum. But as an expo, where typically new things are revealed and discussed and hyped? This thing seems fairly lackluster.

BriMan
08-11-2013, 03:19 PM
I'd really love to see some attendance and sales numbers for this thing. Disney has to be making a pretty hefty profit for almost no effort. Just trot out the Sherm Bros, some Disney legends, dust off some props, and then watch the sheep herd in. I'm sure people have their personal reasons for going, but those people are really part of the problem. If you don't expect more, they won't give you more.

It's going to get to a point where people won't travel out there (or Orlando if they ever move it there) if they keep up the status quo.

jtsalien
08-11-2013, 03:22 PM
This seems to be more of a "museum" than an expo. And honestly it looks like a ton of fun - for a really cool, decked out museum. But as an expo, where typically new things are revealed and discussed and hyped? This thing seems fairly lackluster.

Yeah it would make for a neat museum. But are you going to pay $57 to get in? :lol:

It's going to get to a point where people won't travel out there (or Orlando if they ever move it there) if they keep up the status quo.

Hopefully they realize it and decide to fix the problem instead of just cut it.

ynnoj
08-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I've been out west for the past 3 years on 5 different occasions (Disneyland twice) and I had enough of the 5 hour flight. :lol: My fiance and I seriously debated going this year, but ultimately decided to keep it local (aka Florida) for vacations and go big in 2014.

Had enough of a 5 hour flight?! Try transatlantic :'(

BriMan
08-11-2013, 06:12 PM

I actually might be soon. I may not use Hatetofly as my username, but it fits me too. :lol:

BriMan
08-12-2013, 10:59 AM
It has been confirmed that it will be returning to Anaheim in 2015. I really thought it was going to go to Orlando for it, especially since SW Celebration is going to be in Anaheim in 2015.

JungleSkip
08-12-2013, 11:21 AM
It has been confirmed that it will be returning to Anaheim in 2015. I really thought it was going to go to Orlando for it, especially since SW Celebration is going to be in Anaheim in 2015.

It'll never come to WDW. There's not enough convention space on property for it, and the OCCC is too far away from WDW property. On top of that it's harder to get the Hollywood talent and West Coast WDI guys to come out there.

BriMan
08-12-2013, 11:26 AM
It'll never come to WDW. There's not enough convention space on property for it, and the OCCC is too far away from WDW property. On top of that it's harder to get the Hollywood talent and West Coast WDI guys to come out there.

True. Good point. BUT STILL!!

jtsalien
08-12-2013, 11:39 AM

They'll be enough room once the rest of Future World is converted into convention space :thumbs:

JungleSkip
08-12-2013, 11:45 AM
They'll be enough room once the rest of Future World is converted into convention space :thumbs:

I'd laugh if I didn't think it was true.

Vyrus
08-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Soooo...nothing huh....:doh:

tribbleorlfl
08-12-2013, 01:05 PM
All while unveiling a sequel to a movie that lacks creativity and substance and is receiving horrid reviews.

Which one's that?

BriMan
08-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Which one's that?

Planes

Teebin
08-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Which one's that?

It is horribly sad that your question is very reasonable. There's more than one to choose from...

Jakemeister
08-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Too be fair, Planes was never intended as anything more than a big budget Direct to DVD sequel. They saw box office potential in it and decided to go for it. Considering it's 50 million budget and it already grossing about 23 million it is a financial success and I can understand it being green lit.

Cruiseshipfan
08-13-2013, 12:41 AM
Try transpacific. Also add the 5 hour flight for Orlando.

So what actually was announced. All I seem to be able to gather is that they announced a sequel to a lackluster movie.

STL
08-13-2013, 12:46 AM
Too be fair, Planes was never intended as anything more than a big budget Direct to DVD sequel. They saw box office potential in it and decided to go for it. Considering it's 50 million budget and it already grossing about 23 million it is a financial success and I can understand it being green lit.

Wrong. I just copied and pasted what I wrote on the Planes thread today:

But it's not made them money yet. It's budget was $50 million, not including marketing. It made just over $22 million over it's 3 day opening weekend. Animated movies tend to drop 45 - 50% on the second weekend unless they are a blockbuster like DM2. Not to mention that the studio generally gets back 50 - 55% of the total box office take. Yes, they will make a buck once it hits DVD, that's a given.

It would have to exceed 100 million at the box office for it to be considered a break even sorta deal. They will more than likely get that once it hits DVD but they jumped the gun when they green-lit the sequel. Think Man of Steel. That was already green-lit too....now probably not so much. I personally find it hilarious.