PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Celebration - "Celebrate Everyday!"

Sal
09-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Wish this strated this week because I would so go on Sat. Now I have to wait =(

In 2009, Come to a Disney Park on Your Birthday and Get In Free!
A Disney 'First' Launches 'Celebration Vacation' Travel Trend
NEW YORK (Sept. 18, 2008) – Everyone who visits a Walt Disney World® Resort or Disneyland® Resort theme park on their birthday in 2009 can get in free, as Disney Parks embraces a newly identified family travel trend called "celebration vacations."

In this new national trend, American families are hitting the road to mark life's special occasions – birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, reunions and more – with a "celebration vacation." In 2009, Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts will lead this growing trend with new entertainment and services that allow guests to turn their personal milestones into magical Disney experiences.

And to kick it all off – a first-ever opportunity for guests to receive a free ticket to one of the Walt Disney World or Disneyland theme parks on their birthday in 2009.

"Birthdays are the one occasion that we all share every year," said Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, at an announcement event today in New York. "We thought a free birthday ticket would be the icing on the cake as we extend this new 'celebration vacation' trend to Disney Parks."

Disney parks provide the perfect setting for this new style of vacation that celebrates the special occasions in life, Rasulo added.

Whether a guest is celebrating a birthday, an anniversary, Quinceañera or any special occasion, Disney parks already are filled with favorite characters, world-class attractions and entertainment, and legendary guest service – exactly the "something for everyone" that trend-watchers say families look for in a "celebration vacation."

"The special moments in your life become truly magical when you celebrate at a Disney park," Rasulo said. "Sharing a milestone at Disney connects families, friends and generations."

Nationwide Survey Reveals 'Celebration Vacation' Trend

A nationwide survey of nearly 4,600 adults conducted by Ypartnership – co-author of the influential National Travel Monitor – showed that 70 percent of U.S. leisure travelers have taken a vacation with the primary purpose of marking a special occasion in their lives – a "celebration vacation," as Ypartnership President and CEO Peter Yesawich termed it.

Respondents mentioned a broad range of events worth celebrating with a special vacation – not just birthdays and anniversaries but a first vacation with children, a job promotion or recovery from an illness.

Whenever something positive happens in their lives, people seek out ways to make them more special, Yesawich said, and vacations are clearly perceived as both an appropriate and desirable way to do so.

"Time does pass quickly and there is a growing trend to slow down our frenetic lifestyles and stop to rejoice around the things that matter," he said. "Families on 'celebration vacations' are looking to truly commemorate moments in their lives – in special places everyone can enjoy."

Research showed that when they take that "celebration vacation," families are looking for destinations that provide activities for children and – better yet – activities adults and children can enjoy together.

"Given these findings, it's not surprising that Disney Parks topped the list of destinations where families would most like to celebrate these special occasions," Yesawich said.

Roll N Fear
09-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Is this for everyone? Thats a good birthday present.

d a n n y
09-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Sweet. I was getting tired of just getting a little pin :lol:.

peaches magee
09-18-2008, 04:57 PM
That is awesome!
Seriously thinking of doing Disneyland next year for my birthday, this may have sealed it :thumbs:

BriMan
09-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Universal, your response?
:lol:

Great idea..

ralphoutloud
09-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Wow, very business smart.

You get in for free, and you're dragging your family ($$$$$$) right behind you.

Sledge
09-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Even more news about the specific happenings can be found here...

http://orlandounited.com/news/2009celebration.html

I love the fact that I'll get a free gift card since I'm already an AP holder.

peaches magee
09-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Even more news about the specific happenings can be found here...

http://orlandounited.com/news/2009celebration.html

I love the fact that I'll get a free gift card since I'm already an AP holder.

Oooooo really? :happy:
They have some amazing ideas. Just going recently and having my friend's birthday girl daughter with us, she would have taken advantage of sooo many of these things.

Jakemeister
09-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Well now I have a reason to go back to Disney. I wish Universal would do the same so more of my friends would go.

snoman
09-18-2008, 09:34 PM
That is a really cool idea. We aren't renewing our Disney passes this year since we're friggin broke but this will for sure help persuade us to hit one of the parks on one of our b-days no doubt.

Sledge
09-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Dear ____,

There's so much in life worth celebrating. Birthdays. Anniversaries. Reunions. Personal Triumphs. All deserve to be wrapped in magic. And we want Passholders to be among the first to know—during 2009, the Walt Disney World® Resort will make it easier for you to magnify any celebration in wonderful Disney style.

We'll greet everyone with brand-new entertainment, unique experiences that surround you with Disney magic, and a very special gift for every Passholder (mailbox:///C%7C/Documents%20and%20Settings/Jason%20Zubor/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/he05ewrj.default/Mail/pop.gmail-1.com/Trash?number=0#passholderBenefits).

Disney will even help you plan your celebrations with free online planning tools and fairy godmothers to help you set up everything from a special meal to an elaborate Disney party.

In fact, when Passholders join us in 2009 at Walt Disney World Resort, the hardest thing to decide is: "What will you celebrate?"

A Disney Birthday Present For Every Passholder! http://email.mydisneyparks.com/p/10002/1113/spacer.gif Since birthdays are the one celebration we all share, let's start with a magical birthday present. On your birthday in 2009, you can receive free admission to one of the Theme Parks of the Walt Disney World Resort. Or if you use your Pass for admission on your birthday, you can choose one of the following treats:

http://email.mydisneyparks.com/p/10002/1113/earsBullet.jpg A special birthday FASTPASS® ticket† for certain attractions at the Theme Park you visit on your birthday; or
http://email.mydisneyparks.com/p/10002/1113/earsBullet.jpg A Birthday Fun Card in an amount equal to the price of a 1-Day Magic Your Way Base Ticket* for you to use on your birthday for merchandise, recreation or fun activities at select participating locations at the Walt Disney World Resort; or
http://email.mydisneyparks.com/p/10002/1113/earsBullet.jpg A 1-Day Magic Your Way Base Ticket for you to use any time until your next birthday.

Then once I logged onto the Passholder site...

Celebrate with us! In January 2009, we will make it easier for you to celebrate your birthday in wonderful Disney style! This is the year to gather with all the people who make you the happiest and celebrate at the place where dreams come true.

Celebrate your birthday in 2009 at the Walt Disney World® Resort. To make your special day one to remember, we'll give you a magical birthday gift- free admission on your birthday in 2009 to one of the theme parks of the Walt Disney World® Resort. Or if you use your Pass for theme park admission on your birthday, choose from one of the following birthday treats—it's our gift to you!

A special birthday FASTPASS® badge+ for select attractions at the Theme Park you visit on your birthday; or
A Birthday Fun Card in an amount equal to the price of a 1-day Magic Your Way base ticket* for you to use on your birthday at select participating locations at the Walt Disney World® Resort for select merchandise, recreation, or other gated attractions or for Disney's PhotoPass® on-site services; or
A 1-day Magic Your Way base ticket for you to use any time until your next birthdayTo receive your gift—follow these simple steps:
Register for your free ticket. Just click "Sign Up Now" below and fill out the required information. You can register yourself and other Passholders in your household.
You will receive a confirmation email upon registration completion.
Come on your birthday during 2009 to the designated "Will Call" windows at the entrance of any of the Walt Disney World® Theme Parks and present your confirmation email, Disney Pass and valid ID† for your birthday gift.See Important Details (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/passholder/newsAndEventsFull?CMP=EMC-WWYC01%4001-04&id=PassNewsCelebrateYourBirthdayArticlePage#important)

DisneyFanKevin
09-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Wow! It sounds pretty cool and a great way to help people celebrate their birthdays at the most Magical Place on Earth.

Jakemeister
09-19-2008, 03:10 PM
So I'm wondering if this could be one of the doomed marketing plans. My Economics teacher is a huge theme park and Disney Dork also. Has passes and the such and he thinks this might be like the deal Red Lobster pulled(All You Can Eat Crab for $18..super bad idea) and although you'll probably drag friends along with you who says you are going to for sure. Personally I would go to Disney by myself, pay the 10 bucks for parking and all that jazz on my b-day just because it's free. 70 bucks down the drown per a birthday guest just seems like alot to me. :shrug:

BigAl_PT
09-19-2008, 03:23 PM
So I'm wondering if this could be one of the doomed marketing plans. My Economics teacher is a huge theme park and Disney Dork also. Has passes and the such and he thinks this might be like the deal Red Lobster pulled(All You Can Eat Crab for $18..super bad idea) and although you'll probably drag friends along with you who says you are going to for sure. Personally I would go to Disney by myself, pay the 10 bucks for parking and all that jazz on my b-day just because it's free. 70 bucks down the drown per a birthday guest just seems like alot to me. :shrug:
I don't think it's as big of a hit financially as it seems. I would still think that the majority of the visitors to the parks are from out of town and many of them are buying multiple day tickets. As you know, there's only a few dollars difference from a 6 to 7 day park hopper pass. So they're not really losing that much money per person.

Jakemeister
09-19-2008, 04:49 PM
I don't think it's as big of a hit financially as it seems. I would still think that the majority of the visitors to the parks are from out of town and many of them are buying multiple day tickets. As you know, there's only a few dollars difference from a 6 to 7 day park hopper pass. So they're not really losing that much money per person.
I think in the Summer it will be an issue. Non-peak I don't think they are gonna loose as much money though. Who knows though this might rake in the money.

DisneyFanKevin
09-20-2008, 10:23 AM
I think in the Summer it will be an issue. Non-peak I don't think they are gonna loose as much money though. Who knows though this might rake in the money.

It's Disney. It's bound to make some, if not a lot, of money on this campaign.

Jakemeister
09-20-2008, 02:24 PM
It's Disney. It's bound to make some, if not a lot, of money on this campaign.
It just seems like they are pulling a Cash and walking the line on this one. I'm not saying this couldn't equal uber profit but I'm also saying that this could be a bad idea.

Homer J Simpson
09-22-2008, 05:38 PM
On my birthday, I'm gonna be in a park.

DisneyFanKevin
09-23-2008, 10:09 AM
On my birthday, I'm gonna be in a park.

Thanks for sharing. Have fun. :)

kristilovesdw
09-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Here's the celebration concept artwork and some pics of the Disney Fairies as well.

http://www.attractionsmagazine.com/blog/?p=966

Geez that's alot of color in the Celebration artwork :confused:

Jakemeister
09-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Those Fairies would look so awesome if they wern't lame.

peaches magee
09-24-2008, 06:50 PM
Here's the celebration concept artwork and some pics of the Disney Fairies as well.

http://www.attractionsmagazine.com/blog/?p=966

Geez that's alot of color in the Celebration artwork :confused:

Hope crap... that is way too much oversaturation on the colors for sure!
But the Fairies look adorable. :thumbs:
Tink's weave is a little jacked up, but best that can be done I suppose. hehe

Dr. Emmett Brown
09-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Ah!!! Colors!! That's majorly trippy.

Very cool artwork. :thumbs:

DisneyFanKevin
09-25-2008, 11:07 AM
I love the colors!!!! Can't wait for the "street parties." :D

BigAl_PT
09-25-2008, 06:05 PM
I still don't see it affecting them in the Summer. Like I read in an article, it appears that Disney is banking on the idea that birthday guests will bring several friends with them to celebrate.

Jakemeister
09-25-2008, 06:14 PM
I still don't see it affecting them in the Summer. Like I read in an article, it appears that Disney is banking on the idea that birthday guests will bring several friends with them to celebrate.
Well we will see it play out soon. I don't think it's doomed plan but I think this could go either way. People are impulsive and you never know how they will act. I'm more or less just thinking about the flip side of this also.

Homer J Simpson
09-26-2008, 07:28 PM
My friends wouldn't want to come with me. They would go on their own birthdays to get in free.

Drew
10-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Definitely going to do this next year. It would be my first time at Disney in 10 years.

It all works perfectly too. Next year's HHN's last day should probably be Halloween since it's a Saturday. Do all the HHN goodies and stuff and then on Sunday head over to Disney before leaving Monday. Bammmm.

Now since I haven't been in 10, yes 10 years... I'm not sure which park to do. There's so many new attractions scattered. Any reccomendations?

d a n n y
10-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Definitely going to do this next year. It would be my first time at Disney in 10 years.

It all works perfectly too. Next year's HHN's last day should probably be Halloween since it's a Saturday. Do all the HHN goodies and stuff and then on Sunday head over to Disney before leaving Monday. Bammmm.

Now since I haven't been in 10, yes 10 years... I'm not sure which park to do. There's so many new attractions scattered. Any reccomendations?

MK hasn't changed too much. Was RNRC or ToT open 10 yrs ago? If not go to DHS. My overall favorite Disney park is definitely animal kingdom.

kirby_is_kyaan
10-06-2008, 05:31 PM
My overall favorite Disney park is definitely animal kingdom.

I agree with that danny. The overall theming is amazing, and it has the largest concentration of great (to me) rides on property for its size. Again, with the size, though it's technically the largest park, the savannah takes up most of the room... greedy animals. :lol: Since it wasn't open last time you went, I think you should hit AK. It's also the second best thrill park, with DHS being the best with its one-two punch of RnR and ToT-from what I heard, anyway... RnR was closed last time I was there, and I didn't have the courage to face the Tower. :look: Do you plan on staying any longer than one day at Disney? If not, then here's a thought: Park hop! You should be able to be finished with all the good stuff AK's got to offer by early afternoon (I managed to get all but maybe one or two rides and attractions I wanted to do by the the time I left the park around noon), so stop by DHS, and if you want to push it end the day with IllumiNations or Wishes, depending on personal preference and operating hours, of course. Finally, how about staying at a Disney hotel? Then you can hope one of the two parks will be open for Extra Magic Hours! It would be a tiring day, but you would have gotten a good chunk of what you wanted to see that you missed under your belt, and how often do you get into a Disney park for free?* I bet it will be twice, seeing as for the last two yearlong events Disney decided to renew it for a year.... I hope they do so. :thumbs:

*No guarantee of short lines which complicate this plan, of course. :P

EDIT: Never mind on some of it.... no Extra Magic Hours for you, Mr. Off Property, Money-saver :nono:

Drew
10-06-2008, 06:01 PM
MK hasn't changed too much. Was RNRC or ToT open 10 yrs ago? If not go to DHS. My overall favorite Disney park is definitely animal kingdom.

Yeah, both were open but it was so long ago that I hardly remember them. I remember DHS was my favorite at the time.

Animal Kingdom is definitely an option with Everest. Outside of that though, I don't know how much more there is to do there. Those Rapids look pretty awesome.

d a n n y
10-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Despite what everyone else will tell you, I love Kali River Rapids. I heard Finding Nemo: The Musical was great but I didn't have the time to see it. Also, you probably didn't see Festival of the Lion King, which IMO is the best Disney show.

Sledge
01-18-2009, 10:54 PM
More and more of the merch is starting to pop up. Looks like "What will you celebrate?" is the tagline to get you in the park. Once in the park the tagline is "Celebrate Everyday!". :lol:

http://i43.tinypic.com/el5tlu.jpg

I found this one a bit odd. It has Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy and Pluto and then... Buzz Lightyear and Woody? I would have thought they would have put Stitch or Pooh before Toy Story characters. :shrug:
http://i41.tinypic.com/2uyjcqp.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2liiver.jpg

So far I don't think the merchandise is half bad. I was expecting a lot of the bright balloons all over everything, which I think looks really tacky. :thumbs:

Sal
01-18-2009, 10:58 PM
I think the reason why they added them is because remember the New President wanted more calibration with both Disney and Pixar characters.

Sledge
01-23-2009, 02:57 PM
I was looking at a Disneyland Resort update and Disneyland got these...

http://www.originald.com/pics/updates/09-01-22/img6683wb4.jpg

I think they look really nice and hope we get something similar.

Sal
01-23-2009, 04:27 PM
that is nice!!

Beachgurl
01-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Why do they do everything so half-butt at WDW in comparison to DL? It seems like for Halloween DL gets way more decorations that WDW does.

BriMan
01-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Ghostrider sent us a picture of the new banners going up around Epcot.

http://ghostrider455.smugmug.com/photos/460674713_2gNMb-M.jpg

ralphoutloud
01-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Yeah, both were open but it was so long ago that I hardly remember them. I remember DHS was my favorite at the time.

Animal Kingdom is definitely an option with Everest. Outside of that though, I don't know how much more there is to do there. Those Rapids look pretty awesome.

Go to MK, at least you'll spend the most time there and get your free day's worth.

DHS is almost a half-day park, AK closes early, and you could stretch Epcot to a full day if you really wanted to.

But I figure there's so much to do and see at MK that it would be the most logical choice and it would take all day so you'd get the most out of it.

Jakemeister
01-24-2009, 07:43 PM
I'll be going to Epcot. I think alot more people will be at MK for this promotion and surely hope so. My b-day is in peak season though :(

JEANYLASER
06-24-2009, 02:25 PM
That's awesome! I love the pictures of the backpack that's why I want to buy it!