PDA

View Full Version : ESPN The Weekend 2008

Sledge
02-05-2008, 07:56 PM
February 29 to March 2

Come live your sports dream at the ultimate ESPN fan fest featuring star athletes, unique ESPN entertainment, ESPN telecasts and interactive experiences for sports fans and families. There's something for everyone to cheer about this weekend!
"Hot Set" ESPN Live Telecasts & Tapings
— Catch favorite ESPN shows including First Take, NFL Live and Baseball Tonight plus much more. ESPN will be broadcasting from the Sorcerer's Hat Stage throughout the weekend. Come be part of the live TV audience! ESPN Radio will be broadcasting live Friday with shows like The Herd, SportsNation, The Stephen A. Smith Show and The Mike Tirico Show. All your favorites are here this weekend!
Celebrity Appearances*
— Catch your favorite star athletes and ESPN personalities all weekend long.
Inside ESPN
— Swing into the ESPN Theater and go Inside ESPN with your favorite on-air personalities who will show & tell you what life is like behind-the-scenes of SportsCenter. Listen in as sports celebrities and athletes share their favorite moments in ESPN-themed talk show formats such as NFL Live, Baseball Tonight, First Take and more! You never know what you will hear and it's all "live"!
Motorcades and Conversations
— See famous sports celebrities in Hollywood-style motorcades and question & answer sessions throughout the day from Hollywood Boulevard and the Sorcerer's Hat Stage. Get an up-close look and the chance to ask questions of the sports stars in exclusive on-stage chats!
Dream Job – The Experience
— Think you've got what it takes to be on SportsCenter? Take a look behind the scenes of ESPN's Dream Job. Aspiring sportscasters from the audience will experience what it's like to audition for ESPN. Selected contestants will be put through a series of "on-air" tasks and the audience will select the best "sportscaster" with their applause. Plus – you never know what celebrity might stop by to help mentor the contestants!
Stump the Schwab All-Star Game
— So you think your sports knowledge is pretty good? Do you want to go up against the best? Here's your chance to go head to head with the Sultan of Sports Trivia, Howie Schwab! Contestants team up with Sports Celebrities in a three-round elimination game with the winning team going face to face with "The Schwab" in a final showdown. Put all that sports trivia knowledge to the ultimate test as you battle to Stump the Schwab!
ESPN Sports Zone
— Take your best shot in this interactive sports zone with fun for the whole family! Climb aboard ESPN The Truck and experience what it's like to be a SportsCenter anchor. Try your hand at an unbelievably wide assortment of professional sports experiences. Come play and be part of the action all weekend long!*Entertainment and appearances subject to change without notice.

Atheletes
Shaun Alexander
Gary Carter
Roger Clemens
John Franco
Antonio Gates
Tony Gonzalez
Harlem Globetrotters
Maurice Jones-Drew
Donovan McNabb
Jim Palmer
Steve Smith
Richard Seymour
Donte Stallworth
Ben Watson
Roy Williams
Drew Brees

ESPN
Skip Bayless
Linda Cohn
Jay Crawford
Orestes Destrade
Neil Everett
Peter Gammons
Mike Golic
Mike Greenberg
Dana Jacobson
John Kruk
Chris McKendry
Steve Phillips
Karl Ravech
John Seibel
Mark Schlereth
Sage Steele
Mike Tirico
Trey Wingo
Eric Young
Drew Brees, Donnie Edwards, Steve Smith and a few others are back. Also, Roy Williams, Donovan, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Roger Clemens are nice additions. I'm sure there will be even more announced later.

Anyone going?

FGCUSabre
02-05-2008, 08:10 PM
aww man...i am geting there on the 3rd...i think....lol.

BriMan
02-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Is Roger going to be spreading some HGH? :lol:

JEANYLASER
02-09-2008, 06:50 PM
I be there too! I love ESPN!:dhs:

FGCUSabre
02-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Alluding to the steroids allegations controversy surrounding him as a likely distraction, superstar Major League Baseball pitcher Roger Clemens has bowed out of Walt Disney World’s ESPN The Weekend festivities next week.

In a written statement released by ESPN, Clemens did not specifically mention the steroids abuse allegations that have clouded him for months -- allegations he has vehemently denied.

“I had been looking forward to ESPN The Weekend. Given some strong feelings in some circles today, I believe my current participation could be a distraction,” Clemens stated. “The event should be an occasion for fun by all and I want that to be the case for everyone involved. So I will not be coming at this point in time but I look forward to participating in some future event.”

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/business_tourism_aviation/2008/02/clemens-out-fro.html

d a n n y
02-20-2008, 10:33 PM
I figured that, just didn't know it was official. :rep:

kirby_is_kyaan
02-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Danny, you're always looking for an excuse to add rep, aren't you? Ha... Like I said, I will give you some once it says I can. :rep:

I'm not that big of a sports fan, didn't care at all about football until last year, and still don't know a lot of the rules of that game (I still find myself perplexed at what a 1st down is supposed to be). The most I usually do is the Super Bowl.

Sledge
02-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Most of the stage is up in preparation for Friday.

I can't wait! Anyone else going?

FGCUSabre
02-26-2008, 01:20 AM
no...we are going to be at MGM the day after. We wanted to take advantage of the Extra Magic Hours the next night...plus figured the park will not be AS busy on Monday.

I look forward to seeing your pictures though so I can see what I miss!

Sledge
02-27-2008, 06:51 PM
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- ESPN and Walt Disney World Resort will again offer fans the opportunity to see and hear ESPN personalities and a host of current and legendary athletes during ESPN The Weekend presented by Dick's Sporting Goods, a special event scheduled for Feb. 29-March 2, 2008, at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park.

More than 60 sports celebrities are expected to appear at the annual sports fan-fest. The event features Hollywood-style motorcades with athletes, talk shows, sports star conversations, live ESPN telecasts and interactive fun in the ESPN Sports Zone.

Some of the athletes scheduled to take part in the "three-day weekend" event include New York Giants running back Brandon Jacobs and wide receiver Amani Toomer, Indianapolis Colts kicker Adam Vinatieri, Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, baseball legend Cal Ripken, Orlando Magic All Star Dwight Howard, tennis legend Martina Navratilova and the famous Harlem Globetrotters. ESPN personalities scheduled to be part of the lineup include Jay Crawford, Peter Gammons, Mike Greenberg, Orestes Destrade, Mike Tirico, Colin Cowherd, Mike Golic, Linda Cohn, John Kruk, Karl Ravech, Jemele Hill and Trey Wingo.

The roster of participating ESPN personalities and sports celebrities will be continually updated at www.espntheweekend.com (http://www.espntheweekend.com/). Guests also may visit espntheweekend.com to make reservations, buy tickets and book Disney accommodations for the event.

ESPN The Weekend will feature on-site ESPN telecasts of popular programs, including "Baseball Tonight," "First Take," "Mike and Mike in the Morning," "NFL Live" and interview segments on "SportsCenter."

In its short history, ESPN The Weekend has become a popular event for fans as well as the athletes who attend each year.

"I am really looking forward to seeing all the fans at ESPN The Weekend," said Donovan McNabb, a five-time NFL Pro Bowler who will be attending his first ESPN The Weekend. "I've heard from teammates and other athletes what a super event it is and I am looking forward to experiencing it for myself and my family."

Guests also will be able to enjoy all the popular shows and attractions at the theme park during Disney's "Year of a Million Dreams" celebration. Event activities are included in regular admission to Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Here's some of what's in store for this year's ESPN The Weekend:

LIVE ON-SITE ESPN TELECASTS
ESPN will present live daily telecasts from a set in front of Mickey's Sorcerer's Hat on Hollywood Boulevard at Disney's Hollywood Studios. As Major League Baseball Spring Training games get underway in Florida the same weekend, ESPN's on-site program lineup will feature a special season preview edition of "Baseball Tonight," the Atlanta Braves home game against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex (Friday, Feb. 29, 1 p.m.) and live telecasts of other popular ESPN shows. Theme park guests will have the chance to appear on air via crowd shots while watching the programming on in-park video screens. ESPN Radio shows, including "Mike and Mike in the Morning," "The Herd with Colin Cowherd," "The Mike Tirico Show" and "SportsNation with John Seibel and Orestes Destrade," will be broadcast live from Disney's Hollywood Studios on Friday, Feb. 29.

'INSIDE ESPN'
Live stage shows will bring fans and guests behind-the-scenes of some of the network's most popular programs, including "SportsCenter," "Baseball Tonight," "First Take," "NFL Live" and "Stump the Schwab." The shows will provide an inside look at favorite athletes, teams and ESPN programs, as fans will get into the action themselves by asking questions directly to ESPN personalities and athletes.

'DREAM JOB -- THE EXPERIENCE'
Guests who think they have what it takes to be on "SportsCenter" will experience what it's like to audition for ESPN. Select contestants will go through a series of "on-air" tasks and the audience will select the best "sportscaster" during each show. ESPN personalities and sports celebrities will help mentor the contestants as part of the experience.

STAR MOTORCADES & CONVERSATIONS
Throughout the day, stars will motorcade up the park's Hollywood Boulevard to the stage at the base of the Sorcerer's Hat and join ESPN anchors for star conversations about their careers and Q&A sessions with park guests.

ESPN SPORTS ZONE INTERACTIVE AREA
The expansive ESPN Sports Zone will give guests of all ages the opportunity to test their skills at a wide variety of sports, including biking on an X Games dirt course. Major League Baseball-, NBA- and NFL-themed interactive areas within the Zone will have fans swinging for the fences, shooting baskets and throwing passes, as well as Dick's Sporting Goods' Sports Caravan, a multi-sport interactive area. The ESPN Sports Zone will also include an ESPN Play Your Way playground. A fitness initiative launched in May 2004 to address youth obesity, Play Your Way was designed by Team ESPN, the corporate outreach program for ESPN, Inc., to inspire kids 7-12 years old to use their imagination and create their own physically active games.

ESPN THE TRUCK
The ESPN Direct TV Experience truck will be open for fans to check out the latest in DirecTV HD programming and ESPN sports coverage. Kiosks in the 53-foot trailer include: a station where fans can record their very own ESPN on-air highlight segments; a game area; and an area where guests can read fun facts about popular ESPN programs, test their sports knowledge and win ESPN prizes.

SPORTSCENTER AND PLAY-BY-PLAY ROLE PLAY
While visiting ESPN The Truck, guests can sit at a replica of the famous "SportsCenter" desk and read the teleprompter as the highlights roll on the big game. In addition, guests will be able to test their play-by-play skills by calling some of the biggest moments in sports history.

DisneyFanKevin
02-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks, Sledge! This sounds like it will be cool for all sports fans. Hopefully the other 3 parks will be dead during the weekend. :)

Drew
02-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Damn, I'd kill to go to this. Sounds like there's a bunch of great autograph chances.

Enjoy, Sledge. Take pictures.

The Patchman
02-29-2008, 10:10 AM
I would kill to live in florida to go to all these special events, lucky dawgs.

Sledge
02-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Mike and Mike are on right now from the ESPNClub. They are talking a lot about Disney. It's pretty neat.

Sledge
02-29-2008, 04:03 PM
1st & 10 is on from the Sorcerer's Hat in Hollywood Studios. Tune into ESPN2 now.

Sledge
03-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Just got home from the festivities. We got lots of pictures, I got to meet Sage Steele and Colin Cowherd, and we just had a great time. We'll have a trip report up later.

upov
03-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Cool photos, even though I'm not much of a "traditional sports" fan, it's still a great event for those who are.

Is the little X-Games bmx course the only representation of any of the X-Games there? If it is that's pretty sad, since ESPN runs/presents the X-Games. They could easily set up some temporary ramps at LMA and put on some freestyle moto flips/demos for the crowd, wouldn't be to hard to do a half pipe either for vert skateboarding and bmx either.

They've done X-Games events at Disney's parks in California, just wish they'd share the X-Games love here in Florida too.

Roll N Fear
03-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Great coverage Sledge! That looks like it would have been a lot of fun.

Beachgurl
03-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Great coverage Sledge! That looks like it would have been a lot of fun.

It was...even for a girl who doesn't know much about sports. I had a lot of fun there though and I always love seeing celebrities, even if I don't know who they are. lol

The Dream Job: The Experience show is probably my favorite thing though. Some of the contestants they have on there are pretty good a those highlights!

Sledge
03-03-2008, 02:30 PM
For baseball and basketball fans you are really only going to get retired players or Orlando Magic & Braves players since basketball is going on and baseball has Spring Training right now (Braves have Spring training at Disney). Dwight Howard from the Magic was there. I'm surprised more Buccaneers and Dolphins don't attend. This seems right up Derrick Brooks and Jason Taylor's alley.

If it is that's pretty sad, since ESPN runs/presents the X-Games.

Yeah, you think there would be some kind of synergy. Last year Mike Metzger was there (who was real cool) and supposedly Matt Hoffman was there this year (unadvertised) but I never saw him.

upov
03-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Yeah, you think there would be some kind of synergy. Last year Mike Metzger was there (who was real cool) and supposedly Matt Hoffman was there this year (unadvertised) but I never saw him.

That's cool that Metzger was there last year, same if Hoffman was there this year, I got to see him once over at the old Hoffman IOA show. Most of the guys that have been around a while all have kids now, and of course they love going to Disney with the kids. So like you said it'd be perfect synergy to include the X-Games, plus it would be another way to tap into the teen to old man like me demographic who like extreme sports as well.:lol:

peaches magee
03-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Great report Sledge :thumbs:

d a n n y
03-03-2008, 04:25 PM
You didn't do the Scwab thing? Otherwise great coverage!

Sledge
03-03-2008, 04:34 PM
You didn't do the Scwab thing? Otherwise great coverage!
We didn't really have any desire to see, plus the lines were ridiculous to get in.

Beachgurl
03-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Supposedly Tom Brady was in the park the day we were there. One of the ride attendants at RnRc told us when we were getting on that we had just missed Emmit Smith by 10 minutes in there.

Sledge
03-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Supposedly Tom Brady was in the park the day we were there. One of the ride attendants at RnRc told us when we were getting on that we had just missed Emmit Smith by 10 minutes in there.
Thanks for restating exactly what was already in the article. :lol: