PDA

View Full Version : Disney to build new 100 lane bowling facility

kristilovesdw
06-09-2008, 11:36 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bk-bowling-disney-060908,0,884236.story

Tens of thousands of bowlers are headed to the Disney's Wide World of Sports starting in 2011 for tournaments hosted by the United States Bowling Congress, Osceola County officials announced Monday.

The deal is expected to generate $750 million in economic impact from 2011 through 2029 when the USBC will host seven open and six women's championships -- each over a 20-week period.

The facility needed for the events will be built at Disney's Wide World of Sports complex, officials said.

A bowling stadium of 160,000 square feet with at least 100 lanes, stadium-style seating, a restaurant and other facilities is planned to host the events.

The tournaments are widely regarded as the world's largest participatory sporting event, officials said.

Disney will restrict the number of rooms available at its All-Star Resort as part of travel packages and will not "separately market rooms" there to tournament participants "beyond their general marketing to the public at-large."

Osceola will use tourist development taxes to make a promotional payment of $1 million to the USBC on the first day of active competition, which will total about $13 million over the life of the agreement. In return the USBC expects the open championship to generate 59,250 room nights per tournament in Osceola County, while the women's tournament will generate 40,000. The payment will be reduced if the numbers are lower than predicted.

The USBC is the sport's national governing body and ensures the integrity and protect the future of the sport by providing programs and services that enhance the bowling experience.

The Central Florida Sports Commission worked with other parties to bring the USBC to Osceola. Wichita, Kan. Tulsa, Okla., Corpus Christi, Texas and Reno, Nev. were also considered.

bprough
06-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Thats cool , I know when they have the special olympics every year out there they use the boardwalk bowling lanes out by UCF , this will also help for times like that.

kirby_is_kyaan
06-10-2008, 12:20 AM
Interesting news. Juding by the pricetag, the facilities will stay once the event ends (coincidentally the same year I graduate HS), correct? And if so, is there anything stating whether these lanes can be used by the public (like your local bowling alley, but with more lanes, better food, and less cheesy animations for when you hit 5 pins, a strike, etc.)?

bprough
06-10-2008, 01:10 AM
I would think it will be like most other stuff out there. they will host all kinds of tourney from around the country.

Jakemeister
06-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Kirby your probably right. They will have alot of tournaments but when there isn't stuff scheduled I imagine that you could go bowl there.

Sledge
06-10-2008, 02:22 PM
I can't imagine 100 lanes. What is normal? About 30? I'm wondering if they are going to be all in a row or something like 4 different rooms with 25 lanes each, would which allow tournaments to happen where they could stay out of the way. 100 lanes is a lot, I'm certain this will be open to everyone.

peaches magee
06-10-2008, 03:10 PM
I have NO clue what is average anymore, haven't bowled in ages. But 100 seems pretty freakin' HUGE.
Glad they aren't blocking too much at the All-Star Resorts. That is where we always stay, yep, we are cheapies.
Hey, when you go pretty often with family, it's a must.
At least it is ON property. I love 'em actually, though POP is the best of them all. :thumbs:

snoman
06-10-2008, 11:05 PM
This sounds good but they better make sure "it's the most magical bowling alley on Earth" and have a big bar for me. I love bowling but I can only break 100 if I have a few pitchers ya know?

peaches magee
06-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Looks like "open play" is a definate. :thumbs:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/services/newspaper/printedition/sunday/osceola/orl-omap1508jun15,0,1737373.column

DisneyFanKevin
06-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Whoohoo! Bowling at Disney will be fun. :D

The_Bled
06-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Sweetness! That's gonna be cool for people staying at the hotels with nothing to do.

allienoves
06-16-2008, 11:44 PM
Does anyone even still watch bowling? It used to be big back in the day..all the bowling alleys in my borough closed except for 2.

The_Bled
06-17-2008, 06:51 PM
^ I still watch bowling....When I have npthing better to do :lol:.